U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
gg gg started this thread

11,312 posts, read 7,499,600 times
Default PPS lays off a bunch of teachers

49 teachers, school support staff laid off in Pittsburgh Public Schools - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Wonder how many more will go since our natural gas rich state is in such poor financial shape they no longer fund schools for our kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 PM

964 posts, read 665,988 times
Woodland Hills cut jobs this years also. I glad to see cuts instead of an increase in taxes, I think there's plenty of fat that can be cut.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 PM

36,169 posts, read 56,206,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
49 teachers, school support staff laid off in Pittsburgh Public Schools - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Wonder how many more will go since our natural gas rich state is in such poor financial shape they no longer fund schools for our kids?
Is it a funding issue or an enrollment issue? And did all erstwhile funding increases improve results to such an extent that the status quo level of funding is justified?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM

858 posts, read 1,355,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I glad to see cuts instead of an increase in taxes, I think there's plenty of fat that can be cut.
Yeah, it's always awesome to see hard-working people lose their jobs

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,687,553 times
Teacher salaries and benefits in Allegheny County are at unsustainable levels given the state of the economy. I would much rather see a significant reduction in those salaries and benefits before directly/indirectly hurting our students. There should not be any more raises anywhere until school districts find the effective means to live within the current economy. Just my two cents...

Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 AM

4,395 posts, read 3,033,869 times
So it begins....

Devalue education, gut public transportation, destroy the environment without local benefit, have companies fight over who should make more money from the sick, raise taxes for zero benefit..... I like where this state is headed.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So it begins....

Devalue education, gut public transportation, destroy the environment without local benefit, have companies fight over who should make more money from the sick, raise taxes for zero benefit..... I like where this state is headed.
You are going to see a lot more of this kind of thing because the long term costs which are the promises made to teachers and administrators isn't feasible. Most school systems have been run like PAT Transit. Districts can raise property taxes, but at some point people will start getting really upset and then cuts will have to be made. The current teachers are living in a nice situation, but our future looks very bleak due to them making too much. Once again most districts are living on a credit card, but don't really know it.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 AM

4,395 posts, read 3,033,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are going to see a lot more of this kind of thing because the long term costs which are the promises made to teachers and administrators isn't feasible. Most school systems have been run like PAT Transit. Districts can raise property taxes, but at some point people will start getting really upset and then cuts will have to be made. The current teachers are living in a nice situation, but our future looks very bleak due to them making too much. Once again most districts are living on a credit card, but don't really know it.
Although there is truth in your post, the anti-teacher/anti-workers rights notions from people is just as alarming as the previous things I've posted. Once teachers unions are finally taken down and education privatized (which is apparently to the solution to everything these days) we will all see worse working conditions as pensions and a decent living are demonized in a classic divide and conquer strategy.

We just can't win.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM

9,636 posts, read 8,340,306 times
Local and state governments everywhere are cutting back. At least the Pittsburgh Public Schools aren't like the Atlanta Public Schools, where heads continue to roll because the school district cheated on federal standardized tests for a decade.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Local and state governments everywhere are cutting back. At least the Pittsburgh Public Schools aren't like the Atlanta Public Schools, where heads continue to roll because the school district cheated on federal standardized tests for a decade.
Atlanta's Public School's got caught. I suspect there will be others to follow. Lets hope that didn't happen around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh