Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM

64 posts, read 91,592 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Pittsburgh and have an interview with Highmark this coming week. I'm just looking for any opinions/feedback on what it is like there. For such a large organization, there are relatively few "employee comments" on the web about what it's like within the organization.

My background is in health insurance so I'm well aware of the general things that go on in such organizations. I'm also not really looking for general *******/complaints or complaints about the insurance industry...just an overall view of the company as an employer (benefits, culture/enviornment, etc.).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,122 times
Hi jmn3 .... my husband works there and likes it. I sent you a message w/more information. Good luck on your interview!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I've heard both good and bad. One of my buddy's works there and really likes it. He's been there for about 3 years now. Others have absolutely hated it. Within the past year they slyly laid off about 500 people and brought many back as contractors without benefits of any kind:

Highmark seeks 220 more buyouts from workers

Additionally they have been importing several Indians due to the fact that they can pay them less in general. It should be noted this behavior continues despite two years of massive profits:

Highmark recorded solid gains in 2010, including its hefty surplus

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM

377 posts, read 651,904 times
Okay so I worked at Highmark for about 2.5 years and then left for my current job which I have been at for 2 years now. Highmark was okay. I didn't think it was great or horrible. I worked with a lot of people who really hated it though.

Also just so you know they did a VOLUNTARY layoff. They offered a payout for people to resign. I still have a few friends there and as far as I know no all the layoffs were voluntary.

The perks of Highmark to me were that # 1 You get all of your PTO up front-you don't have to accumulate it. # 2 Free Gym! #3 Very good health insurance.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Most people I know who worked there, had to meet some type of quota, felt under pressure and let the jobs they had there stress them out to the point where they hated working there. They either quit or got fired for not meeting their quotas. Highmark has a high turnover rate, too. I do have one friend who has been there for over 20 years. She's an executive secretary, though.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM

64 posts, read 91,592 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. It's nice to hear both the good and the bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh