U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 AM

746 posts, read 446,209 times
What a gorgeous house. If I had the money I would definitely buy it. None of the new construction can match up to the older homes. I especially like the Victorians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 AM

4,321 posts, read 2,762,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I'm just putting this out there -- it might be the finest house in Pittsburgh. What do you guys think?
With all the money they spent, they ought to have installed more counter space in the kitchen. There's hardly any, especially relative to the size of the kitchen. And I'm no lover of those Gobs of Granite/Warmth of Wood culinary extravaganzas you find in McMansions. But that kitchen, it isn't very practical.

Also, the gold decorative paint takes it over the top.

It's certainly beautiful from the outside, though. "Finest house in Pittsburgh" might be one of those houses off Wilkins up where the Catholic Church used to keep Bishop Wuerhl. Or maybe some on and off Morewood in Shadyside.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,571,936 times
I used to live on Morewood in Shadyside and I can assure you that nothing on that street (or the other streets nearby, as impressive as they are) quite compares to this. I have seen some impressive mansions (I am currently doing my Pittsburgh Mansion Photo Tour), but this house in Highland Park is one of the most significant, architecturally speaking, in my opinion.

There are others in Highland Park that are almost as amazing.

And there are some in Manchester that are close.

I loved the kitchen. I was glad they were sensitive to making it historically correct. The grand Victorian interior is just priceless. If this thing had a Lowe's kitchen, I would have been sorely disappointed. Someday there won't be any historic kitchens left (I'm keeping mine, white porcelain sink, built-in cabinets, and all!).

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

10,756 posts, read 6,716,113 times
There are nicer homes, but that is done well. Yes it is very ornate and painted with lots of detail. It is a Victorian home and that is the style. Looks amazing, but I don't think they will get the 2 million. Maybe 1.5, but even then it is a tough sale. So few buyers and most would want to be in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill or parts of Point Breeze because they are more sheltered of true city life. Then buyers looking in that range might look at homes "close-in" in Fox Chapel, because that is only a couple minutes away from that home. They did a great job on it and I would love to go in there.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM

4,321 posts, read 2,762,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I loved the kitchen. I was glad they were sensitive to making it historically correct. The grand Victorian interior is just priceless. If this thing had a Lowe's kitchen, I would have been sorely disappointed. Someday there won't be any historic kitchens left (I'm keeping mine, white porcelain sink, built-in cabinets, and all!).
I wouldn't want a "Lowe's" kitchen, either, but as a person who likes to cook, I would find that kitchen a real problem night after night. All that money they spent, and no counterspace? I'm sorry, but that's taking your "everything old is better than everything new" philosophy more than a bit too far. The only people that kitchen works for are eaters out.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,571,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I wouldn't want a "Lowe's" kitchen, either, but as a person who likes to cook, I would find that kitchen a real problem night after night. All that money they spent, and no counterspace? I'm sorry, but that's taking your "everything old is better than everything new" philosophy more than a bit too far. The only people that kitchen works for are eaters out.
If you own a house like that, you aren't supposed to be doing your own cooking.

It's kind of like owning a Rolls-Royce limousine. You won't be the one driving it.

I'm sure there were some fabulous dinner parties held in that house back in the 19th century. All done with a primitive kitchen (and a dozen servants)!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM

6,273 posts, read 3,622,311 times
How about "hide away" counter tops etc? They pull out when you need it and tuck away to make it look "Victorian" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh