Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
100 teens =/= "a few".
3 stores vandalized =/= 1 "toy section"

Nice try.
I, too, fail to see how downplaying incidents like the East Liberty "wilding" will be beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I, too, fail to see how downplaying incidents like the East Liberty "wilding" will be beneficial.

Pittsburgh must not now the true meaning of wilding. Wilding = beating the hell out of random total strangers for no apparent reason. Vandalism is what happened not wilding. If those teens would have went into Target and Trader Joes and beat the hell out of total strangers and robbed them of their iphones, that would = wilding.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Pittsburgh must not now the true meaning of wilding. Wilding = beating the hell out of random total strangers for no apparent reason. Vandalism is what happened not wilding. If those teens would have went into Target and Trader Joes and beat the hell out of total strangers and robbed them of their iphones, that would = wilding.
Bicyclists Targeted In East End Attacks - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Potato, potatoe.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM

Today the inner city baseball league will be honored @ PNC Park. 200+ young black little league children and their families will be recognized for a job well done. My son and all of his team mates will meet the Pirates!!! This is news worthy. We will see if it makes any of the local news channels.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Quote:
Today the inner city baseball league will be honored @ PNC Park. 200+ young black little league children and their families will be recognized for a job well done. My son and all of his team mates will meet the Pirates!!! This is news worthy. We will see if it makes any of the local news channels.

Our local news is largely filled with stories on crime regardless of whether or not the actors are white or black. Why? Crime is the exception. Most people do not commit crimes.

The reason that the Target story was so big was twofold, one it followed a church picnic. Regardless of what actually happened that is a pretty good story. Kids leave a church picnic and go on a rampage/spree/etc. That is pretty shocking. I would think that most people who go to church are fairly law abidding. The other reason why this story was so captivating was the number of kids involved. The reports said 100. That is alot kids. If it were three kids, then no news but 100 involved it is news.

I would think that the Pastors involved with the event would be appalled by the behavior of these kids and they would go out of their way to create a teaching moment. If they do, this surely would be news.

P.S. Regardless of whether or not the news covers the your son's meeting with the Pirates, I am sure he will remember it forver.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Our local news is largely filled with stories on crime regardless of whether or not the actors are white or black. Why? Crime is the exception. Most people do not commit crimes.

The reason that the Target story was so big was twofold, one it followed a church picnic. Regardless of what actually happened that is a pretty good story. Kids leave a church picnic and go on a rampage/spree/etc. That is pretty shocking. I would think that most people who go to church are fairly law abidding. The other reason why this story was so captivating was the number of kids involved. The reports said 100. That is alot kids. If it were three kids, then no news but 100 involved it is news.

I would think that the Pastors involved with the event would be appalled by the behavior of these kids and they would go out of their way to create a teaching moment. If they do, this surely would be news.

P.S. Regardless of whether or not the news covers the your son's meeting with the Pirates, I am sure he will remember it forver.
Do you really think that these children were part of the Mount Arrott Baptist Church? Really?

About 10 years ago there was a festival called E Fest (East Liberty Festival) that took place in East Liberty. Children from the Black Youth Political Empowerment Organization planned and ran the entire annual event. Youth from the area would show up and harrass the POSITIVE black youth trying to do the right thing. Fights broke out 2 years in a row and the event organizers cancelled the event all together. After a brainstorming session the event was moved to Schenley Park and to this day no incidents. The @ssholes could not locate the event to cause a distubance. It was not the church attendees, it was the youth from the surrounding area.

Most of the Mount Arrott church members are not from East Liberty. They are from Monroeville, Stanton Heights, Plum, Penn Hills, and other east end neighborhoods and suburbs. They would not have left on foot, they would have left by car. I bet you the fights started when the bums decided to pick on the preppy suburban black kids with whom they have nothing in common.

The news sometimes tell half truths and to me this = a lie. Sorry.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,100 times
Despite the fact that the mob consisted of about 100 kids, amazingly, no one was hurt, and there was a reported "few to none" property damage sustained. The riot produced only a few arrests. The media really had nothing else about the incident to report.There is no need to harp on and on about it.

Here is another recent "wilding" vandalism spree that took place in Cranberry that damaged multiple cars, homes and businesses. This one produced much more damage than the one in East Liberty, but the media didn't harp on and on about this one either.

Cranberry Police Searching for Suspects in Overnight Vandalism Spree - Cranberry, PA Patch

Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Just curious... did it make the local news? BTW congrats to your son and his teammates. He will always remember this.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
This so-called "wilding", wasn't really in the news much at all to be honest. I suspect the people that were there were pretty scared being that there was 100 black teens walking into places all at once. I mean that isn't 20, that is 100! That is a lot of people and if they were white teens people would be scared or any teens. Seems they really didn't do much, but put a slight black eye on that gathering, which is a shame. Not sure what to really say about it. I don't think the media gave it much attention to be honest though.

Congratulations on your son meeting the Pirates. That will be fun. Will it be reported? Probably not, because most of those kind of things aren't reported regardless if the people are black or white. That feel good news doesn't sell as well.

Aqua, this wasn't that big of a deal. That bicycle incident happened back in June. Things do happen, but there is NO trend at all. If anything crime is better now than in years past. East Liberty IS better than it was. Larimer, might very well get better and better. I have a feeling about that place. It actually is a nice piece of ground in a good location. It is small and could very easily be fixed up. Lots of the East End is improving. There are areas that may not get better. Homewood and the Hill are two areas that are not going to get better for decades IMHO. It isn't like you can rid entire areas of drugs and guns. East Liberty is a start and it has a huge advantage with its great location between Shadyside, Highland Park and Friendship. The Hill is more isolated and isn't as desirable topographically.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 AM

346 posts, read 537,022 times
I think punishment for this type of activity should be SEVERE as to deter future activity of this sort. I dont' care fill up the Jails... break a window spend a week in the slammer... Have 10,000 fine attached to your name... There needs to be HARSH punishment for these kinds of actions NOW and they will stop. Kids are doing this stuff because there is no consequences or punishment for these actions. Honestly if they would just take a huge stand a few times these instances could be a non-issue in the future.. Are kids going to knock over a lamp at target if they could end up in jail for 3 days... probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh