Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM

20 posts, read 36,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfeast View Post
Are there any places to play golf in Fox Chapel?
Are u Catholic or Protestant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whumps View Post
Those golfers have no regard for the safety of innocent pedestrians!!! People get tagged all the time! Just make sure u avoid Fox Chapel Road,Squaw Run East, and Field Club Road. Those are the "at risk areas".
I disagree, I believe those are the more up-and-coming areas of the neighborhood. However, steer clear of the Community Supermarket. Those folks sell Faygo right next to the Evian water bottles which is quite preposterous.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM

472 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Are you Catholic? Or are you Protestant?
Do you have to be one or the other to live in FC?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
Are you Catholic? Or are you Protestant?
Oh, no Catholics need apply! Membership in Shadyside Presbyterian Church is a HUGE plus.
An old boss of mine, an FC resident , was an insufferable Presbyterian ; I now tend to run the two words together. I could always imagine him accusing me of "popery" behind my back.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 36,958 times
Quote:
Are there any places to play golf in Fox Chapel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Certainly, as long as you have the $50,000 initation fee ( I may be low on this #), and can pay the monthly dues/minimum. Oh, and don't get blackballed during your vetting process.
Otherwise, it's the putt-putt miniature course for you!
Right! and if your Catholic its the Pittsburgh Field Club, and if your Protestant then its Fox Chapel Golf Club. If your don't meet either criteria your screwed.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Will I be cast out if I don't on a luxury car? I just really want to fit in.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
I'm not going to take the time to do this, but I bet I could find some particular metric (risk of being murdered, risk of being crushed by a falling tree, risk of being involved in an auto accident, risk of being the victim of fraud, etc.), define "safety" solely in terms of that metric, and then use that as a basis for arguing that Fox Chapel is not safe.

Example. Let's say an area is safe if, and only if, there is less than a 0.1% chance that a resident of that area will be bitten by a snake within that area per year. Let's say that for an average City resident, there is a 0.05% chance that he will suffer a snake bite in any one year. For Fox Chapel residents, due to the higher per-capita ratio of wooded area, there is a 0.15% chance that they will be bitten by a snake. On absolute terms this would make Fox Chapel not safe, and on a relative basis this would make Fox Chapel less safe than the City of Pittsburgh.

Of course this example is absolutely absurd (and I made up all the numbers!), but it isn't all that far derived from the common misnomer that the safety of an area is dependent only upon the rate of violent crime.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Oh wow... so is there some kind snake repelent to protect my family??? is there snake insurance???

Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Oh wow... so is there some kind snake repelent to protect my family??? is there snake insurance???
I'll sell you snake insurance. We need to hire a snake actuary.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Who knew there were so many things to consider when moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh