Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

One incident out of, what, tens of thousands of bus trips is still pretty good odds for safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM

472 posts, read 626,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

‪Bus Shooting Philly Bus Stopped. Rear Door Opened and Gunman Opened Fire‬‏ - YouTube

After watching this from Philly and having that bus driver stabbed in Pittsburgh, I know I won't allow my family to ride the bus anymore. I just don't think it is a safe way to get anywhere. It is really sad what happened in both cities recently and no doubt will have a negative effect on people who ride on busses.

Would you let them ride on a NY subway?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM

472 posts, read 626,684 times
Quote:

‪Bus Shooting Philly Bus Stopped. Rear Door Opened and Gunman Opened Fire‬‏ - YouTube

After watching this from Philly and having that bus driver stabbed in Pittsburgh, I know I won't allow my family to ride the bus anymore. I just don't think it is a safe way to get anywhere. It is really sad what happened in both cities recently and no doubt will have a negative effect on people who ride on busses.

What about bikeriding on busy streets with blind spots?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 PM

58 posts, read 72,961 times
Quote:

What do mean a time where the bus can't be done? The time is now! Before the Pat bus cuts and fare hikes, I took the bus to work. The stop is near my house, and I liked using the 30 minutes in the morning to prepare for the day. Now, I don't bother because the last Sq Hill bus home is at 530 p.m. Riding anything but the 65 (61's are an hour commute and you have to deal with teenie bopper CMU and Pitt students and I opt out) isn't an option for me and the fares are so high that the extra cost to drive isn't all that much, so now I drive. Chatham Center is loving my 9 bucks these days.

It also sucks that a colleague of mine has epilepsy and can't drive. He lives in Shadyside near the bus way but the EBA stops running after a certain time and he has to wait for a 71 to get home. One night he called in desperation for me to get him because he was out studying for the IL bar exam and couldn't get home. This was at 10 pm.

However, I wouldn't worry about crazies on the bus. Crazies are everywhere, and unless, you live in a bubble or a society like that in the movie the Village, it's just a risk of living life. Take your own advice, stop watching/reading the news!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Can we shoot Nancy Grace please? She's hurting everyone!

Agreed. Nancy Grace must be stopped!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
perhaps h curtis didnt see the massacre in norway

Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
perhaps h curtis didnt see the massacre in norway
I guess that would mean he doesn't do boats or private island camps either. You never know when a crazy man is going to starting shooting at you while you're at camp.

Can you imagine?! Who would have thought?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
You're probably more at risk from being hit by a bus crossing the street than getting killed by a madman while riding the bus.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Eh, living a life in fear is no life to live.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
What do mean a time where the bus can't be done? The time is now! Before the Pat bus cuts and fare hikes, I took the bus to work. The stop is near my house, and I liked using the 30 minutes in the morning to prepare for the day. Now, I don't bother because the last Sq Hill bus home is at 530 p.m. Riding anything but the 65 (61's are an hour commute and you have to deal with teenie bopper CMU and Pitt students and I opt out) isn't an option for me and the fares are so high that the extra cost to drive isn't all that much, so now I drive. Chatham Center is loving my 9 bucks these days.

It also sucks that a colleague of mine has epilepsy and can't drive. He lives in Shadyside near the bus way but the EBA stops running after a certain time and he has to wait for a 71 to get home. One night he called in desperation for me to get him because he was out studying for the IL bar exam and couldn't get home. This was at 10 pm.

However, I wouldn't worry about crazies on the bus. Crazies are everywhere, and unless, you live in a bubble or a society like that in the movie the Village, it's just a risk of living life. Take your own advice, stop watching/reading the news!
I ride the bus everyday. I spend $90 a month for a one zone bus pass. I don't drive, but I really can't imagine paying $9 a day for parking (I figure that's $180 a month!)

Yes the 61s have college students on them, but I think I can deal with that better than having to fork out more for parking. As for the commute time, I live in Park Place (which is nearby Squirrel Hill.) It only takes 30 minutes to get from there to town. More for traffic, but your stillb going to sit in traffic whether you are in a bus or a car.

Has your friend considered using Access? I'm not sure how well the system runs now, but he or she may want to look into it. They provide door to door service for people with disablitites.

I TA agree about the bubble. I have no idea how people can live thier life in fear every waking moment of thier life.

Last edited by raubre; 08-10-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh