Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 PM

58 posts, read 72,581 times

Advertisements

Shadyside. You're young and have no children and you want a diverse neighborhood, Shadyside. You're from DC, and you're not afraid, unlike most of the Pittsburgh suburbanites I deal with on a regular basis, Shadyside. Oh yeah, did I mention Shadyside? LOL. Honestly, it sounds like the place for you. Friendship is also a close option if Shadyside is pricey, which it can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi View Post
Shadyside. You're young and have no children and you want a diverse neighborhood, Shadyside. You're from DC, and you're not afraid, unlike most of the Pittsburgh suburbanites I deal with on a regular basis, Shadyside. Oh yeah, did I mention Shadyside? LOL. Honestly, it sounds like the place for you. Friendship is also a close option if Shadyside is pricey, which it can be.

The OP said she doesn't need the neighborhood to be trendy, and is "proudly boring." IMO, Shadyside would be a waste of money. Why pay such a premium for something you're not specifically seeking?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
The way you phrased that question makes it seem like you think Lawrenceville is a bad area. Lawrenceville is just as fine as Stanton Heights and Morningside.

To answer your question, Standon Heights is its own neighborhood. Check out Pittsburgh City Living to get a map and bio on each of our neighborhoods,
L'ville is a bad area! It's so sketchy that every time I go down there I'm afraid my car is going be broken into, or I'll get robbed, or ran over, or contract a disease. I only go there during the day and with male companions. But Arsenal Lanes is pretty cool.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 PM

15 posts, read 50,009 times
I would definitely consider parts of the northside based on your criteria you laid out. There are many great neighborhoods here (East Allegheny (west of 279), Central Northside, Allegheny West, Fineview, Brighton Heights, Observatory Hill). Each of those has its own certain character and different types of architecture. Some on here might put down the northside in general and while it is a more up and coming section of the city, there is a ton of investment going on and lots of young people like myself moving here on a daily basis. I have found it to be quite safe (the worst that has happened to me is being asked for change and even that not often at all). Your money will go a long ways here for housing (much further than in the east end) and you will be within walking distance from downtown. There are lots of new stores and restaurants going in and most of these neighborhoods are quite walkable. I am quite familiar with this side of town so if you have any more specific questions or are just curious feel free to PM me.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,840,242 times
Quote:
L'ville is a bad area! It's so sketchy that every time I go down there I'm afraid my car is going be broken into, or I'll get robbed, or ran over, or contract a disease. I only go there during the day and with male companions.
Quote:
..and you're not afraid, unlike most of the Pittsburgh suburbanites I deal with on a regular basis,

Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:

The OP said she doesn't need the neighborhood to be trendy, and is "proudly boring." IMO, Shadyside would be a waste of money. Why pay such a premium for something you're not specifically seeking?
Think:

If you read MY post I never made a big deal about Shadyside being trendy. First of all, Shadyside isn't trendy. I would argue that there are other neighborhoods in Pgh that are more trendy than Shadyside. Second, the original poster specifically mentioned that she was in her 20s, had no children, and wanted to be around people who had no problem with Indians. Being that Shadyside is a progressive neighborhood and that a ton of single people with no children live in Shadyside, that's the first thing I could think of. Obviously, all of this meant something to her, and I clearly addressed those concerns. I agree that Shadyside is overpriced, but that's why I also mentioned Friendship. Close to Shadyside without the price tag. Maybe I wasn't clear, no wait, I was.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi
L'ville is a bad area! It's so sketchy that every time I go down there I'm afraid my car is going be broken into, or I'll get robbed, or ran over, or contract a disease. I only go there during the day and with male companions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtesse_Gigi
..and you're not afraid, unlike most of the Pittsburgh suburbanites I deal with on a regular basis,

There's a clear difference between sarcasm and reality. I learned that in high school. I would be glad to repay the favor and teach you.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, and she mentioned walkability. Trader Joes, Target, Whole Foods, Giant Eagle, and various shops and restaurants are in walking distance. Hmmm, oh yeah the busway, hospitals, universities, the list goes on and on. I don't really see any other place in Pittsburgh other than the east end allowing for that convenience. I read that from her post, wait no I didn't, but wait I really did.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM

76 posts, read 273,101 times

Larryville "bad"? LOL

Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauquast View Post

Larryville "bad"? LOL
I really should start charging tuition to my art of sarcasm seminar. Interest has reached an all time high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh