Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM

472 posts, read 626,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takomama View Post
Thanks, Irishvan! How long is your drive from Aspinwall to Pitt?

I ask only because after living in DC, I realize that what some think "isn't a bad commute" is bad to me! We all have different tolerance levels.

Are the borders of Aspinwall roughly the river, UPMC, Rt 28 and the bridge?

28 is a disater at the moment and will be for the rest of time. So the commute is annoying but never to long. 30 minutes to get to the city I would say during summer holiday weeks less.

And as mr. curtis said 28 Separate lower and upper Aspinwall Upper A-wall is really nice! But I like riding my bike to the Waterworks and the thought of riding up Center Avenue or Delafield immediately induces heart pains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
28 is a disater at the moment and will be for the rest of time. So the commute is annoying but never to long. 30 minutes to get to the city I would say during summer holiday weeks less.

And as mr. curtis said 28 Separate lower and upper Aspinwall Upper A-wall is really nice! But I like riding my bike to the Waterworks and the thought of riding up Center Avenue or Delafield immediately induces heart pains.
Interestingly, I find Rt. 28 a better commute now than prior to the construction. Not this morning though. That gas line killed the commute.

I prefer lower Aspinwall myself, but upper is nice, just not as good for walking if you don't like that nice... well rather steep hill going up Center!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM

Here awall lovers!

Aspinwall Civic Association

Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 PM

58 posts, read 72,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takomama View Post
What is the commute like from Aspinwall to the Pitt campus by car at rush hour? How about non-rush hour? Is traffic over the Highland Park Bridge bad? Can it be done by bike or by bus with relative ease?

It looks like there are train tracks and a highway bordering the neighborhood. IS there a lot residual noise from these sources?

We are moving from an Washington DC and are totally done with bad traffic and long commutes (even if they don't involve a car!), thus we were originally interested only in neighborhoods in the city of Pittsburgh, but are trying to expand our horizons.

We have 2 children under 3 years of age, both parents will work at Pitt full time, so we want an easy commute, but have an eye towards schools for the future.

Thanks! We are looking forward to our move!!
I just took a friend for surgery to St. Margaret's last week and we had to be there at 7 and then I had take his daughter to camp in Oakland at 9 and then come back. It took me about 20 minutes for each trip, 30 for the trip to Oakland since Batman closed off some roads and traffic around the museum was a beast. It wasn't a bad drive. I get more aggravated getting onto 376 from sq hill for my five minute commute, so I would say the highland park bridge wasn't too bad in the morning rush, but I don't do it everyday so I can't speak on averages. However, Aspinwall isn't the city of Pittsburgh. So, if you want the actual city and decent schools, get into the Colfax/Allderdice feeding pattern. But Aspinwall is nice, it's just the commute across the bridge that might be a problem. So, if you want close to city then Aspinwall could be an option.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM

58 posts, read 72,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Interestingly, I find Rt. 28 a better commute now than prior to the construction. Not this morning though. That gas line killed the commute.

I prefer lower Aspinwall myself, but upper is nice, just not as good for walking if you don't like that nice... well rather steep hill going up Center!
So the construction on 28 has made everything better? How long would say the commute is from Aspinwall to downtown? I considered moving there but taking 28 everyday would make my nosebleed!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Coming home on Washinton Blvd is a nightmare.
Tell me about it. If our business has a recipient who wants us to deliver a gift to their residence after 5 PM in Oakmont or Verona I cringe because everyone who wants to eventually cross the Highland Park Bridge clogs the right-hand lane of outbound Washington Boulevard, which is also the lane people who'd want to turn onto Allegheny River Boulevard to access Verona/Oakmont would be using. "Nightmare" is all relative, though. Outside of torrential downpours the longest time it's taken me to get from turning left from Negley Run Boulevard onto Washington Boulevard and then turning right onto Allegheny River Boulevard is about 15 minutes---still a cakewalk compared to the NoVA traffic I endured for over a year-and-a-half until it "drove" me out (pun intended).

I often wonder if installing a roundabout/rotary at the Allegheny River Boulevard/Washington Boulevard intersection wouldn't be a more prudent idea? Then again with the way the yinzers here stop at yield signs and yield at stop signs methinks fender-benders would occur hourly at a roundabout there!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Tell me about it. If our business has a recipient who wants us to deliver a gift to their residence after 5 PM in Oakmont or Verona I cringe because everyone who wants to eventually cross the Highland Park Bridge clogs the right-hand lane of outbound Washington Boulevard, which is also the lane people who'd want to turn onto Allegheny River Boulevard to access Verona/Oakmont would be using. "Nightmare" is all relative, though. Outside of torrential downpours the longest time it's taken me to get from turning left from Negley Run Boulevard onto Washington Boulevard and then turning right onto Allegheny River Boulevard is about 15 minutes---still a cakewalk compared to the NoVA traffic I endured for over a year-and-a-half until it "drove" me out (pun intended).

I often wonder if installing a roundabout/rotary at the Allegheny River Boulevard/Washington Boulevard intersection wouldn't be a more prudent idea? Then again with the way the yinzers here stop at yield signs and yield at stop signs methinks fender-benders would occur hourly at a roundabout there!

Coming from Negley Run you miss a great deal of traffic. It is not uncommon for it to be backed up to the UHaul place.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 AM

14 posts, read 43,284 times
Thanks, all! It will still be another few weeks until we make a trip to check out neighborhoods, so this is helpful. Based on what I'm hearing here and in other threads, benefits of Aspinwall relative to other East End neighborhoods:
1.) Better schools
2.) Less crime / better upkeep of neighborhood
Drawbacks:
1.) Longer commute to Oakland, but still reasonable
2.) Higher taxes
3.) Not an easy walking distance with kids to a major park (like Highland / Frick, etc)

Are there any grocery stores (even small ones) in Aspinwall? I know about Waterworks, but that's not really in the residential neighborhood. If you live in lower Aspinwall and want to pick up, say a gallon of milk and a few pieces of fruit while you are out for a walk in the neighborhood, can this be done? Are there other small shops for necessities, like a CVS, in the neighborhood? Places to eat?

In full disclosure, based fully off looking at maps, why husband fears Aspinwall is isolated and we'll have to drive to get anything done. I'm trying to get him to keep his mind open!

Are there other suburbs with a reasonable commute to Oakland (30 min or less)?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I don't think the crime/upkeep thing is a big distinguishing factor from the nicest East End neighborhoods. Conversely, I'd say taxes are actually in Aspinwall's favor given the lower wage tax. Basically, in my mind it is better public schools versus not as good of a location.

Commuting to Oakland from the suburbs is one of our most pressing transportation issues--lots of places that are close as the crow flies run into congestion issues, putting them outside your 30 minute range during rush hours. But another notability possibility is the Regent Square area, which is a mix of municipalities, including but not limited to the City. However, schools in the Regent Square area is a complex subject (you can search for prior discussions).

Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Aspinwall has a wonderful italian deli (Labriolas) also Brilliant Market where you can get basic needs groceries. Not to mention when in season there is a fruit/veggie/flower stand you can things from apples, churned butter and in Dec you can buy your christmas tree there (although their trees are outrageously priced) There is a coffee shop, a variety store 4 or 5 restaurants and one watering hole. A couple cute little shops, dentist and PNC bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh