Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 AM

9 posts, read 12,485 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This website has popped up a few times in my searches and it looks like there is a really helpful community here. I am a 23 year old graduate of Penn State and I just got a teaching job in Hampton Township. I'm currently looking for a place to live in and around Pittsburgh that's within a 1/2 hour commute of Hampton Township (which is just up route 8 about 10 miles or so). I literally didn't know anything about Pittsburgh two weeks ago.

1. I'm preferably looking for a place in the city.

2. I'm looking for somewhere that has a nice neighborhood feel, where I can walk to parks/restaurants/bars/venues/etc. Definitely somewhere where I can get involved and make friends (I only know a couple of people who live in Pittsburgh).

3. I need somewhere where I can drive easily without too much traffic (I realize that a lot of apartments have included parking spots, but I can also go with street parking. Is there any type of permit or fee required for street parking in the city?)

4. My budget for rent is around $400-$600 plus utilities. Anything lower would be great, of course.

I've driven through some neighborhoods in the city (Shadyside, Friendship, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Highland Park) and it looks really beautiful in a lot of places. The neighborhood I live in doesn't need to be fancy, I don't mind if it's a little older or a bit beat-up, but it does need to be safe. I'd preferably like to be somewhere where there are other young professionals and graduate students.

Shadyside seems like a great place but the rates are expensive. Certain areas of Lawrenceville/Bloomfield seemed nice based upon my initial drive-throughs. Highland Park is pretty but appeared to be almost solely residential. I am also checking out Bellevue, Avalon, Sharpsburg, and Aspinwall outside of the city. In particular, there are a couple nice and cheap apartment in Sharpsburg but I don't know what that town is really like. I think I could potentially do mt. washington and areas around that but the commute up rt. 28 is supposed to be bad right now. I've also heard to avoid Oakland, but I am taking all advice with a grain of salt at this point.

So basically, I am throwing this out there to see if anyone had any advice on the best neighborhoods/areas to live in Pittsburgh based on my critera. Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for respected landlords/renters that would be great. I've been searching on craigslist but that can always be pretty sketchy.

*Almost forgot, I'd also like to be close to opportunities to volunteer/nearby to a church. Any church recommendations would be welcome too.

Last edited by msw5045; 08-11-2011 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,843,409 times
It's always nice to avoid bridges and tunnels. For you, this might mean living on the North Side, including the Mexican War Streets. I don't know those neighborhoods personally, so I'll let others fill in the specifics for you.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,861,700 times
Yes I was think N Side as well.....East Allegheny, MWS, even Allegheny West....all would put you right in the Path of 28 for quick access...and I just found out on the days you don't feel like taking the car or just to have a back up, there's the 2 bus that would give you door door service essentially.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 AM

780 posts, read 1,378,252 times
You could do Mt. Washingon and to avoid the Rte. 28 mess, the reverse commute across the Liberty Bridge to Crosstown (579) to 279 then to McKnight Rd. and shoot off Peebles Rd. to Sample Road over to Rte. 8 wouldn't be too bad. During hunting season, I can make it from West Mifflin to West Deer Twp. to the property I hunt on in 45-50 mins (I usually go up to Babcock Blvd and go through North Park on Wildwood Road though) and that is quite a bit farther than you need to go and I am usually traveling b/w 3pm and 4pm.

I prefer the Rte. 28 to Rte. 8 or Rte. 28 to turnpike to Butler Exits Rte. but the other route I listed isn't so bad.

You would be much better on the North Side but Mt. Washington wouldn't be out of the question if you don't mind driving 30 mins.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,494,360 times
Your budget makes Shadyside almost impossible. That would be my first choice coming out of collge. Unfortunately, your budget also makes most of the East End tough. Sharpsburg is pretty rough compared with Aspinwall. If you have to live in Sharpsburg pricewise I would live as close as possible to the Highland Park Bridge. There is more Section 8 there than you think. I would probably look in Aspinwall because it is all pretty nice and safe. In other words you will not unknowingly rent a place on a bad block. Highland Park is another nice option commute wise. However, some blocks are not the greatest. A general rule of thumb is that Highland Park is nicer closer to the park and even nicer on the hill close to the park. Morningside is also an option.

P.S. there is no way I would commute from Mt. Washington or the Mexican War Streets to Hampton unless you have to. Route 28 is bad even when reverse commuting.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,828,089 times
Since you are in Hampton, I would look at Highland Park. Not sure why people want to "avoid" bridges? We have tons of them and if one closes, which is VERY rare, there is usually another one to use not that far. You can live in Shadyside in a very small place. I know someone that lives there for under $400 a month, but it is tiny. Point Breeze is pretty laid back and that is a possibility as well. Aspinwall is also doable. I mean, you are a teacher and will soon make piles of money for 180 days, so why not live a little? I would also consider buying a place. You won't move out of this area being that you have a teaching job. Why would you? Congratulations on landing one of the best jobs in the US. You can't beat it!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,494,360 times
Just disregard part of Curtis' post. He thinks teachers are overpaid. It isn't easy finding a cheap place in Shadyside because everyone wants a place like that. But, Curtis is right, the bridges, at least the Highland Park Bridge and the 62nd Street Bridge aren't a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh