Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,352,121 times

Advertisements

[quote]I've lived in HP for a great part of my life and when in the States, still do.

South of Wellesley and N St Clair Street are bad; a lot of it is managed by JJ Land. The south side of Wellesley between Mellon and Portland is disgusting, nothing but filth (people never empty trash, all over porches, etc) and juveniles not attending school and bored and getting into trouble and drugs. I'd hate to live across the street, although the houses are nice.
There is also prostitution and dealing on Bryant, especailly at the apartments between N St Clair and Mellon. Mellon Street south of Wellesley is pretty bad.

Above Highland used to be the better part of the area, but is plagued with Larimer kids stealing bikes and selling drugs.
Collins seems to be the site of some problems. Perhaps because it's one-way and crowded.

There's a lot of petty crime to include car and garage break-ins.
It doesn't matter if your stuff is chained down or not.

There are gangs of young kids roaming the streets; by young I mean 10-14. Criminals in training.
Would I walk the streets at night? Not comfortably.[quote]

What a d*mn shame! I thought that Southern HP was rid of its sketchyness... I'll go back to considering that area "iffy", but near by Garfield ("up the hill",) Lincoln-Lemington, Larimer, Homewood & even northern East Liberty are notably worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 PM

118 posts, read 234,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I spoke to a local cop last summer and he told me that the stretch of road you just mentioned is one of the worst areas of the city (his words not mine). I've also talked to some local business owners there and they said they want to relocate their business elsewhere because it's such a mess.

I know the area fairly well. A main problem is the zone 3 police station on Warrington is so far away. It seems like Brentwood basically patrols the area to secure their own border. Brentwood is generally safe, but it's a question of how long they can keep it that way. There's a ton of heroin floating around Carrick. That's a large part of the problem. It's not zone 5, but it's still a disgrace. 50% of the kids at Carrick high school drop out. There's not enough of a police presence in the area, etc. They tried an officer walking the beat for a little while, but i've seen no evidence of it lately.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,179,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Quote:
I've lived in HP for a great part of my life and when in the States, still do.

South of Wellesley and N St Clair Street are bad; a lot of it is managed by JJ Land. The south side of Wellesley between Mellon and Portland is disgusting, nothing but filth (people never empty trash, all over porches, etc) and juveniles not attending school and bored and getting into trouble and drugs. I'd hate to live across the street, although the houses are nice.
There is also prostitution and dealing on Bryant, especailly at the apartments between N St Clair and Mellon. Mellon Street south of Wellesley is pretty bad.

Above Highland used to be the better part of the area, but is plagued with Larimer kids stealing bikes and selling drugs.
Collins seems to be the site of some problems. Perhaps because it's one-way and crowded.

There are gangs of young kids roaming the streets; by young I mean 10-14. Criminals in training.
Would I walk the streets at night? Not comfortably.
What a d*mn shame! I thought that Southern HP was rid of its sketchyness... I'll go back to considering that area "iffy", but near by Garfield ("up the hill",) Lincoln-Lemington, Larimer, Homewood & even northern East Liberty are notably worse.
Sure, it's not as bad as the very bad parts of the city, but it's not the best, either.
People are certainly trying to clean it up but bad landlords and bad parenting don't help.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,881,406 times
After all the bomb threats in Oakland, should the University of Pittsburgh make the list? Just kidding.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

[quote] Does the St Claire Village vs Knoxville/Beltzhoover feud still exist since St Claire Village is no more. I know you said a lot of the former landed in Carrick.[quote]
-To answer the question yes although it's now from St. Clair to Knoxville who feud with Beltzhoover.
'War zone' distresses residents

Also, maybe as a result of 13 homicides (5 Middle, 3 Terrace Village, 2 Bedford Dwellings, 2 in Uptown & 1 Crawford Roberts Hill) the Zone Two cracked down on the Hill District Area with warrants for over 60 people...
Pittsburgh police announce major drug bust - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-16-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,214,322 times
There used to be some YouTube videos of Formosa Way...I checked and didn't find the one I remembered (with Crips displaying their weapons, etc.), but there are still several videos, including some footage of the interiors of the bricked up row houses on Formosa/Hamilton.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Yea I'm aware... Those clips of vids were apart of the Bloccs Projects & Entertainment series made in the mid 2000's... It was a hood 2 hood blockumentary showing Pittsburgh street gangs, the thug life, and showed the grittiness of their respective 'hoods... The DVD also promoted underground gangsta rappers & the "STOP SNITCHIN" movement...
The hoods in the films were:
-Homewood, Lincoln-Lemington, Hazelwood/Glen Hazel, Beltzhoover, Crawford Village in McKeesport, the northern part of Braddock/southern part of North Braddock, Northview Heights & the "Calbride Place" area in California-Kirkbride.
-The Hill District, the East Hills Projects (363 Wilner Drive Blood Gang), Garfield & McKeesport (Bailie Ave Bloods/Harrison Village Bloods).
-Central Wilkinsburg & Larimer (Auburn Projects mainly)
-The Westside (Greenway Projects & Fairywood)
-Upper Manchester & Perry South (Snapville Wilson Ave G'z)
-Central Northside (HoodTown Mafia)

Here the links to clips of Pittsburgh's own Bloccs Projects & Entertainment DVDs that I dug up off of some Eastcoast Hoodup.com (seems like a hip-hop & gang influenced urban media forum website)
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8S3_BF9i-g (Formosa Way)

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v (broken link) ... 06K5mI2Om2
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v (broken link) ... bVyx3i42h3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlS2xRx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GxnPKYK*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6DepaOd

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-16-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM

[quote=Uptown kid;23799963][quote]I've lived in HP for a great part of my life and when in the States, still do.

Would I walk the streets at night? Not comfortably.
Quote:

Highland Park is definitely an upgrade from Garfield, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood, and East Liberty. There's just a bad element that still exists that people need to be aware of. But that goes for most of the East End in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

New Details Emerging In Heroin Ring Bust « CBS Pittsburgh

The police really are trying in some rough neighborhoods to clean up the streets... To my knowledge they busted the leading heroin slanging figures of the 363 Wilner Drive Blood Gang, 808 Park Hill Pirus & Flame Gang (sets) of the East Hills Bloods (gang) that claim turf in the projects.
They'll get hit with the FBI's RICO Act like the 50some members of LAW Gang in the 90's, and recently the 26members of the NVH-Brighton Place-Fineview Crips & 29members of the Manchester OGz.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
New Details Emerging In Heroin Ring Bust « CBS Pittsburgh

The police really are trying in some rough neighborhoods to clean up the streets... To my knowledge they busted the leading heroin slanging figures of the 363 Wilner Drive Blood Gang, 808 Park Hill Pirus & Flame Gang (sets) of the East Hills Bloods (gang) that claim turf in the projects.
They'll get hit with the FBI's RICO Act like the 50some members of LAW Gang in the 90's, and recently the 26members of the NVH-Brighton Place-Fineview Crips & 29members of the Manchester OGz.

That's great, but the problem is that more and more people are using heroin. The supplier void will always be filled. Law enforcement can't keep up, especially with the budgetary constraints local governments are saddled with now. As long as drugs like heroin are illegal, violent groups will always run the trade. You know that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh