Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I grew up less than an hour away from the NJ border in Northeastern Pennsylvania, an area that is now become a "refuge" from many NJ expatriates who are tiring of the excessive cost-of-living. If nothing else consider if earning a slightly higher salary in Edison, NJ than you would in Pittsburgh, PA would account for a much higher cost-of-living in NJ. To put things into perspective I moved to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia, an area with a cost-of-living that is similar (or perhaps just a tad cheaper) than much of NJ. I was earning a higher salary there in one position as compared to my combined incomes now from two jobs, but my overall quality-of-life has improved since moving to Pittsburgh.

In NoVA (which has similar rental costs to NJ) I paid over $1,100/month for a no-frills 1-BR apartment. In Pittsburgh I'm paying literally half as much ($550/month) for a similar apartment---no dishwasher, no washer/dryer, and no central air as I had in NoVA but I get exposed brick, hardwood flooring, a modern eat-in kitchen, and a fenced backyard here. In NoVA I paid that high rent for an apartment that was a 30-minute drive into the city (with no traffic). In Pittsburgh I pay this relatively low rent to live within walking distance of Downtown.

In NJ you'll find yourself commuting regularly to NYC or Philadelphia for museums, sporting events, cultural attractions, concerts, fine dining, etc. In Pittsburgh you can have such amenities nearly on your doorstep without paying an arm and a leg for proximity to them. In Pittsburgh you can still find livable homes for under $100,000 in safe neighborhoods. What will $75,000 get you in Edison, NJ?

Life is good here in Pittsburgh. I intend no offense to the fine people of the Garden State, but as with NoVA I really don't think the comparable quality-of-life there justifies the much more exorbitant cost-of-living, more intense congestion, and overall higher stress level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I grew up less than an hour away from the NJ border in Northeastern Pennsylvania, an area that is now become a "refuge" from many NJ expatriates who are tiring of the excessive cost-of-living. If nothing else consider if earning a slightly higher salary in Edison, NJ than you would in Pittsburgh, PA would account for a much higher cost-of-living in NJ. To put things into perspective I moved to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia, an area with a cost-of-living that is similar (or perhaps just a tad cheaper) than much of NJ. I was earning a higher salary there in one position as compared to my combined incomes now from two jobs, but my overall quality-of-life has improved since moving to Pittsburgh.

In NoVA (which has similar rental costs to NJ) I paid over $1,100/month for a no-frills 1-BR apartment. In Pittsburgh I'm paying literally half as much ($550/month) for a similar apartment---no dishwasher, no washer/dryer, and no central air as I had in NoVA but I get exposed brick, hardwood flooring, a modern eat-in kitchen, and a fenced backyard here. In NoVA I paid that high rent for an apartment that was a 30-minute drive into the city (with no traffic). In Pittsburgh I pay this relatively low rent to live within walking distance of Downtown.

In NJ you'll find yourself commuting regularly to NYC or Philadelphia for museums, sporting events, cultural attractions, concerts, fine dining, etc. In Pittsburgh you can have such amenities nearly on your doorstep without paying an arm and a leg for proximity to them. In Pittsburgh you can still find livable homes for under $100,000 in safe neighborhoods. What will $75,000 get you in Edison, NJ?

Life is good here in Pittsburgh. I intend no offense to the fine people of the Garden State, but as with NoVA I really don't think the comparable quality-of-life there justifies the much more exorbitant cost-of-living, more intense congestion, and overall higher stress level.
Actually, the census data shows that if it wasn't for New Jersey being attractive to immigrants and the children they had there, the state would have had a large population drop.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM

31 posts, read 68,638 times
Thanks for the all the comments. I hope to hear more.

FYI, we don't have family in either area. The move is about making a fresh start, and placing ourselves in a location that lends to more economical travel & exploration of the NE states. Right now, it's a time consuming and expensive venture coming from Oklahoma. Pittsburgh would put us within 4-8 hours drive time within many areas we want to explore, while still providing what I believe is a good city to live in.

And when I say Pittsburgh, I anticipate a suburb such as Bethel Park or Mt Lebanon. Are these places somewhere you would recommend? We could comfortably afford up to $250k for a home. Safety and school districts (high school) would be our primary concern.

In a week or so I will be in the area visiting. Any places I need to check out while there, besides the two listed?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Upper Saint Clair is another possibility with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh