U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-22-2011, 02:08 AM

32 posts, read 23,012 times
Default Buying a NON-Haunted house in Pittsburgh?

Hi!

We are relocating from California next summer but before we want to buy a house in Pittsburgh. The only thing for me.. being a native Californian (living in a city where almost all of the buildings are new..) I want to avoid buying a house with ghosts or paranormal activity. Is there much of this activity in Pittsburgh? Are there particular neighborhoods known for this?

I have to say I am not an skeptic... but I rather not have an experience that changes my mind!

Any info on this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,027,485 times
Having resided in some houses that *did* have some paranormal activity, I'll say two things:

1. It gets stirred up when the house changes ownership, or perhaps when it changes tenants. But it dies down after you live there a while. Maybe ghosts have to lay down the law, and make sure you take care of the place? I don't know. I just know that the place gets very restless at first, then settles down to no problems with time. Or perhaps just some footsteps and the occasional door open/closing sound. Nonthreatening.

2. Kids seem to throw old houses out of peace and harmony. Just sayin'. Old ghosts are set in their ways, I guess.

Neither haunted place I lived in are in Pittsburgh. One was built, owned, and occupied by Protestants only for 132 years, and the land was a big tract that was granted to a Protestant in payment for Revolutionary Was service.

The other house had, supposedly, the ghost of a Jewish businessman who hadn't lived a very moral life. Or at least that's what the locals told me. They said some people's kids saw him on the second floor closet.

If you get a Catholic haint, you might have a real heller there, lol.

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply SIMB! Gosh, I wasn't even thinking about that when my mom just mentioned it... and then I started giving it some thought.

I am seriously terrified of incidents like that when I went to south Mexico, to this city called Guanajuato that the original city was buried and reconstructed on top of it.. We were leaving the city and stayed in one of these road hotels in the middle of nowhere. The taxi guys was picking us up at 5 am. Well, at 2am I wake up and see the TV on then turned to my boyfriend (now husband) and thought..'he must have left it on and fell asleep..' Then I woke him up and asked him to turn it off. He was on his way when the thing turned off by itself. O-M-G I almost had a nervous breakdown lol! Happened to be that it was the last week of October... I just wanted to fly home! Well, to not make it longer... I was on the plane and asked him: 'what were you watching that you left it on?' then he said 'I never turned it on in the first place'. I went pale (he said), I felt my blood going to my feet.. and luckily managed to vomit in the airplane bag..

Yes... that bad I am with any ghostly things.. that is why I ask!! But on the other hand I don't believe a Priest, Pastor or Saint could do anything... I, however, really want to move to PA.

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM

22,652 posts, read 26,022,071 times
Live and let live. And that includes ghosts, haunts, spirits, etc.

Unread 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM

thanks Ohiogirl.. but that does not add. I am not trying to kick or remove anything or anyone from its place. On the contrary, I want to avoid on 'sharing' a house with the unknown... regardless who the owner is.

Unread 08-23-2011, 07:09 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,662,608 times
You might expect it from an old house but I've read stories where new houses have haunts in them. Maybe it came in with an item( I'm always leery of buying things from second hand stores) or maybe the house was built on property that once belonged to someone with a close tie to it.
I think I could tolerate a door slamming or footsteps now and then but anything more than that would make me on the defensive big time. I mean have the house blessed. But if I felt it was friendly or at least harmless I could probably accept it.
If I really liked the house I'd just say " We both love this house and want to stay here and mean no ill to each other. Lets just respect each others right to have peace and we'll all be happy."

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Thanks IcyTea', I agree with you. It is funny, because the house I up at was built from the ground and I still saw/felt some stuff' out in the patio but I always chose to ignore it.

I've told this concern to my husband and he said to me: 'we'll talk to them and that is it...

ohh gosh lol

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,031 posts, read 1,757,203 times
Just have the Ghost Hunters crew stop by during the home inspection...

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM

472 posts, read 227,361 times
hahahahahahhaha

Unread 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM

18,391 posts, read 12,496,978 times
Ghosts can be very helpful. After a heavy snow, they'll scare off anyone who tries to park in your space after you've shovelled it out. That's why people put chairs out--gives the ghost a place to sit down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh