Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 16,990 times

Advertisements

Hi I am new here - in the forums and in the area.

My family and I are planing after reading (ad nausea) this forums (thanks so much about the deep info I have found here) to buy property in Mt Lebo. Virginia Manor, Washington rd or Markhan area. As they seem closer to what we looking for (walking/running/bike) with good school district.
My question just came in view when I google'd map it and noticed that almost none of the house have wall/fences/gates and depending how close to main streets the house are/is I would be more comfortable having a gated house because of my little daughter.
At the same time I wouldn't want to disrupt any non-disclosed rule in the area where I am planing to move permanently.
So what would be the non written rules in Mt Lebo be?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,660,549 times
I don't know about the "non written rules" but the written ones do not allow front yard fences. From their website:

Mt. Lebanon, PA - Official Website - Building Permits

FENCE – A Fence Permit is required for a new fence or replacing one. In addition to the completed fence application, you will need to provide two copies of a survey of your property indicating the area to be fenced.

The zoning ordinance regulates the height of fencing. In single-family residential districts, fences up to six feet are permitted in side and rear yards. Fences are not permitted in front yards. No solid fences are permitted. Shadowbox fences up to four feet in height are permitted. Other styles of fences are also permitted. A fence can be erected on the property line. Additional fence regulations can be found in Section 808. Chapter XX. For further information, call the Zoning Officer at 412-343-3475.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks so much Tinare. That helps thin a bit of which type of property I will bid for =D
Saw a beautiful house in Washington rd but it really scares me that front yard is right there where the main traffic is....

Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,837,315 times
Gotta love stupid local rules

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Well IMHO rules are there for a reason and as long as people obey them things runs more smoothly. Which is the reason I posted here
By the way, does anyone knows a good/honest landscape person/company to remove snow and manicure yards in warm weather?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,819,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Fences can be really ugly. Someone put a chain link fence up just down the street from me, surrounding a really nice old house, and it is butt-mother****ing ugly. Makes everything within eyesight look tacky.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,477,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx69 View Post
Thanks so much Tinare. That helps thin a bit of which type of property I will bid for =D
Saw a beautiful house in Washington rd but it really scares me that front yard is right there where the main traffic is....
There is no way I would buy a house on a main road regardless of whether or not I could put up a fence and regardless of how great a deal I would get on the house.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,758,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I certainly love them. Hate when people do stupid things like park some giant RV next to people's home for months or put up some huge fence facing inwards, or the countless other things people do to make a neighborhood look like a dump.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
There is no way I would buy a house on a main road regardless of whether or not I could put up a fence and regardless of how great a deal I would get on the house.
I am reaching same conclusion...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,837,315 times
I guess it's just me then; unless someone is doing something with the property that they own which is a health hazard or otherwise some type of danger to others I could care less what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh