U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM

25,853 posts, read 44,156,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Take it from someone who lives there, you not missing much.

I;m someone from Ohio who would like to visit PGH, or maybe even live there.
Ohio's really not so bad, judging from the trip I took to Cincinnati a few years ago. I quite like it, actually, and it's only due to a lack of time and funds that I haven't been able to explore more of the Buckeye State. Yes, Pittsburgh is an amazing city, but I'm not so geocentric that I'd claim we're "superior" to Cleveland or Cincinnati (I'll reserve judgment on Columbus since I envision it to just be one overgrown suburb, but I could be mistaken).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 PM

67,373 posts, read 55,016,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Pittsburgh is not a city for non-arsty or non-intellectiual types to zip around the beltways to strip malls and chains to go shopping in their SUV's. I is not a "Me first " city. So I guess I could respect why a gold digging professional athlete's wife would not like it initially, until the atmosphere between the hills, neighborhoods and rivers gets in the blood.
So what do the non-artsy/non-intellectuals in Pittsburgh do? (Sarcasm)

Seriously, is that the opinion you have of St. Louis, that it's a city for "zip(ing) around the beltwasy to strip malls and chains to go shopping in their SUV's" (sic)?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM

8,592 posts, read 6,766,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ohio's really not so bad, judging from the trip I took to Cincinnati a few years ago. I quite like it, actually, and it's only due to a lack of time and funds that I haven't been able to explore more of the Buckeye State. Yes, Pittsburgh is an amazing city, but I'm not so geocentric that I'd claim we're "superior" to Cleveland or Cincinnati (I'll reserve judgment on Columbus since I envision it to just be one overgrown suburb, but I could be mistaken).
sounds nice but means nothing. it IS nicer, get over it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 PM

25,853 posts, read 44,156,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
sounds nice but means nothing. it IS nicer, get over it.
Which is nicer? Pittsburgh? Ohio?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM

40,271 posts, read 43,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, and I've said this before, Baltimore felt more like Pittsburgh to me than Cincinnati did.
Baltimore reminded me of Pittsburgh too! When I was a young adult living in Harrisburg, I always enjoyed our trips to Baltimore because it reminded me of home.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 PM

9,321 posts, read 7,577,812 times
[quote=Herodotus;20625232]
Quote:

Yeah, that was it. I remember the **** storm that followed. One thing you say about Pittsburgh without a doubt, is that the city is extremely thin skinned when it comes to outsiders making negative comments. This city doesn't take slights well at all.
Two reasons:

1. It's been going on ad nauseum for decades, and only recently has it even abated slightly.

2. Much of it comes from people who have never been to Pittsburgh yet think they know everything there is to know about the city.

Eventually it frays the nerves.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,252,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what do the non-artsy/non-intellectuals in Pittsburgh do? (Sarcasm)

Seriously, is that the opinion you have of St. Louis, that it's a city for "zip(ing) around the beltwasy to strip malls and chains to go shopping in their SUV's" (sic)?
That's not necessarily what I think of when I think of St. Louis. You said that, not me, Ms. devil's advocate. My post was obviously a bit tongue in cheek. It was mostly in response to the statement that Pittsburgh does indeed have "drawbacks." One glaring one is our road and highway system. It is not the easiet city to navigate, and that may be a turnoff for some. If zipping around the metropolitan area in good fashion with easy to navigate roads is priority #1 for a transplant, it may be a disappointment.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 6,688,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd disagree a bit. I think NYC and Philly, for example, are siblings (not twins, but siblings).
Wow, I don't think they are anything alike at all. NYC has not siblings. There is one and only one. The size of that region alone makes it like no other in the US. The diversity is like no other. You are wrong on that one. I will give you Texas though.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM

8,592 posts, read 6,766,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Which is nicer? Pittsburgh? Ohio?
Pennsylvania.
Pittsburgh Is better than Cleveland, at least today. You don't need to be geocentric, just honest. never been to cincy. as a whole I find OH uglier than PA, though not ugly like much of IN. I guess I don't like much of the midwest, though I do like MI and WI. Chicago is a great city but the parts of IL I've seen I could live without visiting again. that isn't to say anything about the people, just the landscape and many of the towns themselves.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,724,955 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily what I think of when I think of St. Louis. You said that, not me, Ms. devil's advocate. My post was obviously a bit tongue in cheek. It was mostly in response to the statement that Pittsburgh does indeed have "drawbacks." One glaring one is our road and highway system. It is not the easiet city to navigate, and that may be a turnoff for some. If zipping around the metropolitan area in good fashion with easy to navigate roads is priority #1 for a transplant, it may be a disappointment.
St. Louis has less of a chain store feel than Kansas City. Someone mentioned that Cincinnati is like the mall and chain store capital of the country but Kansas City seems to have Cincy beat in that respect. At least St. Louis is not a large back water like KC.

Pittsburgh still has to try to shed its old image of a grimy industrial city built upon the coal industry. That at least is the perception still held by many in this country even today. Instead of being defensive about it, I'd say when someone brings up that topic, instead take the opportunity to enlighten them to the new industry coming in and developments that enhance the culture and arts in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh