Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM

10 posts, read 28,117 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I took a trip out to Cincinnati for the weekend last week to see some of her family. Besides the hazy parts that included a party bus, a hot tub, and a trip to Kings Island, I made a concerted effort to compare the city to Pittsburgh. This was not our first trip and every time we visit I notice how starkly different Cincy can be from Pittsburgh. First off I wish Pittsburgh had a beltway like they do. I have a hard time getting used to being able to get anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes. I'm sure a Cincinnatian would notice the difference here as well. "You can't get there from here" is definitely pure Pittsburgh! At the same time Cincinnati is full of sprawl. I've never seen so many malls and chains in my life. I'm not sure if it's due to the beltway system but I felt a lot of the city lacked some of the character our neighborhoods have. All in all though a great, fun city with some beautiful downtown areas we really enjoyed stumbling through. Have any of you guys been out that way? And what do you think we could learn from them and vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
I feel like Cincinnati definitely has some similarities to Pittsburgh. Did you get to hang out around Mt Adams? I think their downtown might be a little bit more developed than ours. Pittsburgh neighborhoods definitely beat out Cincinnati though. Pittsburgh's East End > Clifton/Northside. However if Over-The-Rhine ever gets cleaned up they'll have a truly magnificent urban neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I feel like Cincinnati definitely has some similarities to Pittsburgh. Did you get to hang out around Mt Adams? I think their downtown might be a little bit more developed than ours. Pittsburgh neighborhoods definitely beat out Cincinnati though. Pittsburgh's East End > Clifton/Northside. However if Over-The-Rhine ever gets cleaned up they'll have a truly magnificent urban neighborhood.
Over the Rhine could definitely give the St. Louis trio of Soulard, Lafayette Square, and Central West End a run for their money as the best urban neighborhood in the Midwest outside of Chicago if they ever get it totally cleaned up.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I quite like Cincinnati and can't wait to return! They have Skyline Chili, Graeter's Ice Cream, a cool laser tag place that I want to patronize again, and a newer gourmet grilled cheese restaurant that makes my mouth water. I still can't believe I've now lived here for nearly a year and have yet to jaunt into Ohio even once.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
The four things that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have in common are the built environment, the terrain that makes for nice vistas, universities named after the city with sports teams in the Big East, and NFL teams in the AFC North.

On the other hand, Cincinnati didn't seem to "feel" a whole lot like Pittsburgh to me. It seemed a bit sleepier, and didn't seem to have as much ambiance. (Part of that could be that much of the nightlife is across the river in Kentucky.) Honestly, and I've said this before, Baltimore felt more like Pittsburgh to me than Cincinnati did.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, and I've said this before, Baltimore felt more like Pittsburgh to me than Cincinnati did.
Coincidentally I was at Target today stocking up on some groceries and had a brief conversation with a cashier who had moved here recently from Baltimore. She said the people up here were much more pleasant, and I wholeheartedly concurred. I've spent a considerable length of time in and around Baltimore, and I suppose I just don't see the resemblance. I'm not saying you're "off" or anything, but my eye is just a bit untrained perhaps?

I would think Pittsburgh would have the most in common with St. Louis.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I'm from Cincinnati, and part of the reason why I was attracted to Pittsburgh in the first place is that the cities are similar. I think Cincy is more of a palpably conservative Midwestern city, which is why I always scoff when people say that Pittsburgh is Midwestern. My dad also believes that Pittsburgh has much better defined neighborhoods than Cincinnati, but there are some similar ones: Hyde Park=Shadyside, Northside=Bloomfield, Clifton=Oakland, Indian Hill=Sewickley, Newport, KY=Southside. I do miss an I-275 beltway equivalent (or even a Cross County highway,) though.

Since I live and work in the city, sometimes my family wonders if Pittsburgh is all urban, because they never see the areas that are the most like where they live, but I figure they didn't come to visit me to go to Upper St. Clair or Peters Township.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-26-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I feel like Cincinnati definitely has some similarities to Pittsburgh. Did you get to hang out around Mt Adams?
I once stopped in Cincy during a drive back from Louisville and visted the Mt. Adams neighborhood. It sort of reminded me of a Mt. Washington/Shadyside hybrid. I had a great lunch at Mt. Adams Bar & Grill.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
I like the city, but it's way more socially conservative than here. I remember when I was back in school, they wanted to push immoral "dirty" magazines out of the city, while at the same time the Klan was there for a demonstration.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I like the city, but it's way more socially conservative than here. I remember when I was back in school, they wanted to push immoral "dirty" magazines out of the city, while at the same time the Klan was there for a demonstration.
Yes, Cincy is more conservative leaning than Pittsburgh. But there are areas of the city that also lean quite liberal especially around the colleges.

Klansmen can be found in many non conservative areas as well. For a while in the 1980's the head manure salesman aka Grand Lizard for the Klan lived in southern Connecticut in a blue collar, democrat controlled town.

A lot of the housing stock in both cities is similar. Granted Pittsburgh has row houses which is typical of older east coast cities but a lot of the older single family homes look like carbon copies of the neighborhoods in some areas of Cincinnati like Covington and Newport, KY among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh