Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times

Advertisements

I don't want to rain on your parade. I think it's great you're excited about going to SRU. But don't be delusioned into thinking it's a top tier school. It's not. And it probably wont be in your lifetime, if ever. Many other universities in this region have the exact same things going for them---masters programs, large percentage of internetional students, etc. UKyank is right, you're falling for the spin. That doesn't mean that SRU isn't a good school. If it's the school you can afford and like, definitely go there. Don't expect national recongition if job hunting out of the region upon graduation; however, once you've gained solid work experience, where you went to school is truly irrelevant, the exception being ivy league schools of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM

110 posts, read 192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
If 'The Rock' is growing so much then why did they just lay off staff? Cal U. seems to be the one state school that is really growing. They recently tighten their admissions standards a fair amount, but I would never in a million years refer to that place as "prestigious". Harvard it is not, and neither is any other state school(nor should they be). They are great schools for the money though. Even with the recent tuition hikes they're still 1/4 or less than any private school.
They did not lay off anyone, where did you hear that?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade. I think it's great you're excited about going to SRU. But don't be delusioned into thinking it's a top tier school. It's not. And it probably wont be in your lifetime, if ever. Many other universities in this region have the exact same things going for them---masters programs, large percentage of internetional students, etc. UKyank is right, you're falling for the spin. That doesn't mean that SRU isn't a good school. If it's the school you can afford and like, definitely go there. Don't expect national recongition if job hunting out of the region upon graduation; however, once you've gained solid work experience, where you went to school is truly irrelevant, the exception being ivy league schools of course.
Ivy schools has the biggest glut because all those big financial messes have been the result of Ivy league schools, that is great, do you know how many Ivy league graduates are out of work and struggling and they are getting replaced by people who actually graduated from schools like SRU and they never told me any of this, I actually researched it on my own and have seen people from Western PA schools all over the world working in every major school, business and firm that you can imagine, am I delusional, no I see truth, next time start asking around and you will see, more Western PA college students working and being your boss, SRU has no spin just word of mouth and the results and success of their students, there is more to being a success and recruiters are seeing this, Forbes even did a report on hiring practices of Wall Street and they have found that the Ivy league product is not even ready for real life, they can not handle failure, they do everything to avoid it including illegal activities, but students from Western PA they are more suited to high stress jobs and if something does not go as planned, they adapt quickly and adjust and that gives them a buffer for their employer, if a deal falls through they go unto the next and recruiters know that, what they see is what they are going to get and that is why, western PA has the best people in the world, don't still believe me watch Nova or Business week sometime and research the people they interview and is consultants for their shows and you will see a number of them has had an education in PA and a good number out of Western PA. SRU does not spin or blow their own horn and no one knows it exists except the people that went there or is from the area, you see Slippery Rock is better than most schools and it is getting better and improving and adjusting, they do not sit on their laurels and all SRU can give me is the chance, I still have to prove myself worthy of receiving that lambskin and wearing the Ring and have to work hard and prove myself constantly, so that is the big difference between me and an Ivy league graduate, I work for my money and I depend on me not my school and that is why SRU is the best school to go to and why the are prestigious and top tier, you are getting a School, a family, a home who cares about their past, current and future students.

Last edited by PA_Native71; 08-28-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM

My mention of Ivy League schools was not a debate point. It was merely an exception because Ivy League schools are all about lifetime connections.

My POINT was that where you go to school won't matter in the long run, so it might as well be SRU if that's the school you like.

I'm with Copanut. I sure hope they teach you proper English while you're at SRU. How do you expect to get anywhere if you can't write a proper sentence?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM

10,248 posts, read 10,499,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Native71 View Post
Ivy schools has the biggest glut because all those big financial messes have been the result of Ivy league schools, that is great, do you know how many Ivy league graduates are out of work and struggling and they are getting replaced by people who actually graduated from schools like SRU and they never told me any of this, I actually researched it on my own and have seen people from Western PA schools all over the world working in every major school, business and firm that you can imagine, I am delusional, no I see truth, next time start asking around and you will see more Western PA college students working and being your boss SRU has no spin just word of mouth and the results, there is more to being a success and recruiters are seeing this, Forbes even did a report on hiring practices of Wall Street and they have found that the Ivy league product is not even ready for real life, they can not handle failure they do everything to avoid it but students from Western PA they are more suited to high stress jobs and if something does not go as planned, they adapt quickly and adjust and that gives them a buffer for their employer, if a deal falls through they go unto the next and recruiters know that what they see is what they are going to get and that is why, western PA has the best people in the world, don't still believe me watch Nova or Business week sometime and research the people they interview and is consultants and you will see a number of them has had an education in PA and a good number out of Pittsburgh. SRU does not spin or blow their own horn and no one knows it exists except the people that has gone there, and they do not blow their own horn, you see Slippery Rock is better than most schools and it is getting better and improving and adjusting they do not sit on their laurels and all SRU can give me is a chance I still have to prove myself worthy of receiving that lambskin and wearing the Ring and have to work hard and prove myself constantly, so that is the big difference between me and an Ivy league graduate I work for my money and depend on me not my school and that is why SRU is the best school to go to.
PA_Native71,
Try to listen to what people are telling you and try not to be so defensive. Yes, you can get a decent college education at Slippery Rock and become very successful. What the OP was telling you about the Ivies is just the way it is, you can't fight it. Hopefully, what you get from SRU is some experience in writing. Your long post above has two sentences, a lot of run-ons and just poor grammar. Don't try to tell me you were writing "in a hurry," since any communication is a reflection of your intellectual ability.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Do they have a class about run on sentences, n'at?
Are you paying me me or grading me? No then who cares because you are uneducated or from outside of Western PA because we do not write n'at we just say it, or don't you know the difference between dialect and grammar. I guess you need to go to school, Western PA has these classes that are called GED they might help you to get an education

Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You forgot one of the most important parts about Slippery Rock. It is the home of North Country. That great place that brews its own beer and makes great food that you can enjoy, all while looking at a beautifully carved bar and more.
I heard Spricket24/Karen Alloy from youtube might be coming for her new show on places like that

Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,839,016 times
Quote:
Ivy schools has the biggest glut because all those big financial messes have been the result of Ivy league schools, that is great, do you know how many Ivy league graduates are out of work and struggling and they are getting replaced by people who actually graduated from schools like SRU.
Not very many....

I am sure SRU offers a fine education & i'm not going to knock it per se, but it is kind of silly to try to compare it to an Ivy League institution. A diploma that says Havard or Yale on it is going to do much more for you and open up doors everywhere even if you graduated last in your class then will one that has SRU on it. I'll grant you that you can go to an Ivy League school and still be a failure but the Ivy League graduate is going to have many many more opportunities open to them initially that an SRU graduate may (stressing may) only get after many years of proving themselves within a field.

And I'm not just knocking SRU for the record, looking at all of the fine institutions in our area, the only one that I would say which truly has a worldwide instant positive name recognition would be Carnegie Mellon (and no I did not go there), and maybe Pitt. You most definately can be successful going to other schools but they lack the instant, 'oh thats a good school' recognition CMU gives that to you both in the area as well as if you find youself trying to get a job in some far away geographic area from here. A Havard, Yale, etc does so 100x's more.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Are you paying me me or grading me? No then who cares because you are uneducated or from outside of Western PA because we do not write n'at we just say it, or don't you know the difference between dialect and grammar. I guess you need to go to school, Western PA has these classes that are called GED they might help you to get an education

Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,437,653 times
It's called a period, learn how to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh