Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I respect that, and there is surely some truth to it. I work Downtown in hospitality. The demand for staying open later is now. I deal with it all of the time. The city is getting good pub. People are starting to check us out. We all know on these pages that Pittsburgh is all about the neighborhoods. Still, Downtown looks like a jewel from Mt. Washington in the evenings. It falls short in the evening hours at street level. It does not have to be this way and the demand IS there and will continue to get better. They may well get in the habit of staying open. With the beauty and walkability of Downtown, it could be one of the best in the nation. It is in the daytime, but not night.
you're right. part of luring people to live downtown is having these places open. winghart's is particularly frustrating because a) it's good and b) i has a prominent location on the sq. the time is now
theres always tavern 245
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
With this city's salaries for young people I don't think that's entirely accurate. The new places that are opening up charge for utilities and parking, so no young person on a $35k/yr. salary is going to be affording a $1000 a month apartment any time soon.
I was referring to the young professionals that could afford it which contrary to all the negative economic commentary about the city do exist in large numbers here; whether they would want to live downtown regardless of price is a different story

Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I guess I can cross Winghart's on my todo list. If it is closing at 5PM, I think I am not interested. I am not going to drive to downtown and pay for parking and go to a place that is closed.

To be honest, the burbs are better for eating dinners. Downtown just isn't friendly to nighttime visitors. The new parking deal was the last straw for me. I enjoy the South Side for evening enjoyment if I want a real city atmosphere, or Oakland.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
contrary to all the negative economic commentary about the city do exist in large numbers here
Do you have any sources of how many folks under 30 could handle such a steep rent by themselves? I've seen people talk about all the young folks who have money here but in my experience they have been rare. Not trying to call you out or anything, I'd just like to know.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I guess I can cross Winghart's on my todo list. If it is closing at 5PM, I think I am not interested. I am not going to drive to downtown and pay for parking and go to a place that is closed.

To be honest, the burbs are better for eating dinners. Downtown just isn't friendly to nighttime visitors. The new parking deal was the last straw for me. I enjoy the South Side for evening enjoyment if I want a real city atmosphere, or Oakland.
They were closing at 5PM with hoards of people milling around Market Square who were visiting Downtown. I know it is the same handful of people who work at Winghart's all of the time, and that they are probably all friends and need their leisure time. I remember having a meal at Courthouse Tavern when they first opened nearly three years ago. I told them I work at a major hotel. The owner told me that they were excited to be first in an area that was subject to change and were going to have the kitchen open 7 days a week until midnight, so tell all of the guests. I sent a couple down there about a week later about 9pm and they returned and said Courthouse kitchen was not open, so they ate at Primanti's. That was three years ago and things may have changed. Still, there is no use in doing things half-hearted.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Do you have any sources of how many folks under 30 could handle such a steep rent by themselves? I've seen people talk about all the young folks who have money here but in my experience they have been rare. Not trying to call you out or anything, I'd just like to know.

Say $1000.00 for rent plus another $500.00 plus for cable, gas, electric, cell phone, internet, credit cards, auto, insurance, student loans etc. You'd better make around $50,00 or more to have any disposable income at all.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's a large percentage of the total population by any means, but if you look into the law, finance, & healthcare fields that are fairly prevalent here you would find a lot of young people making well over the $50K number mentioned here. I'm thinking young being under 35 or 30.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:23 PM

128 posts, read 201,345 times
Keep in mind that if someone graduated at 22-24 with a bachelors or masters that at 30-35 they will be 6-10 years in to their careers. Depending on the industry six figures, let alone $50k, isn't unheard of at that point, even in Pittsburgh!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I don't understand the "trend" either that things are closed now. When I worked in town (late 70's early 80's granted) there were many places open and things were hopping!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Newsflash: we are in a recession and young professionals are pretty lucky to find work in their fields, much less command a large paycheck.

For $1000+ a month, I would rather live in Manhattan than downtown Pittsburgh... Wasn't the appeal of Pittsburgh always that it was more affordable than those other large cities? If it's not more affordable, what is the appeal, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh