Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,838,341 times

Advertisements

School superintendent gives up $800k in pay - Yahoo! News

Sure is a heart warming story. The superintendent wants to save some arts and give back to the system. So rare. A true American hero!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,059,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
School superintendent gives up $800k in pay - Yahoo! News

Sure is a heart warming story. The superintendent wants to save some arts and give back to the system. So rare. A true American hero!

Having so much money that you can turn down $800k in salary doesn't make you a hero. The guy is still making $31k, plus his pension.

A quote from said hero.

Quote:
"There's no reason for me to keep stockpiling money."

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,696,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Having so much money that you can turn down $800k in salary doesn't make you a hero.
I think it makes you a baller.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Having so much money that you can turn down $800k in salary doesn't make you a hero. The guy is still making $31k, plus his pension.

A quote from said hero.
Bullcrap. Anyone that gives back that much money to a district, so schools can keep arts and a host of other programs going is a hero. He is saving programs in education for children, which will touch many. You can be some negative nancy about it, but he is doing something for the shortcomings that our Military–industrial complex is not doing. If he isn't a hero, who is? You don't value education? You don't feel he is helping countless kids? Do you have to physically save someone's life to be a hero? How about saving many kids childhoods that will carry them through life? Seems you don't value education as I do.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Bullcrap. Anyone that gives back that much money to a district, so schools can keep arts and a host of other programs going is a hero. He is saving programs in education for children, which will touch many. You can be some negative nancy about it, but he is doing something for the shortcomings that our Military–industrial complex is not doing. If he isn't a hero, who is? You don't value education? You don't feel he is helping countless kids? Do you have to physically save someone's life to be a hero? How about saving many kids childhoods that will carry them through life? Seems you don't value education as I do.

I think his action is slightly admirable, but that's as far as I would go. Millionaires giving money is not heroic, because giving money is only giving something of insignificance to them. Like the parable, a rich man gives a lot, and a poor woman gives a little, who has given more?

Last edited by stburr91; 08-29-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,077,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua teen carl View Post
i think it makes you a baller.
QFt

Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think it makes you a baller.
I had to look that up, because I am so old, but I agree. The dude rocks for giving something back to the kids. $800K helps.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,077,460 times
Quote:

Dude... just stop. Millionaires giving away some of their millions while keeping many more millions... I shouldn't even have to explain to you why this isn't heroic, it's just called doing the right thing.

If I was in his position I would be embarrassed if people were hailing me as a hero.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM

346 posts, read 535,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Dude... just stop. Millionaires giving away some of their millions while keeping many more millions... I shouldn't even have to explain to you why this isn't heroic, it's just called doing the right thing.

If I was in his position I would be embarrassed if people were hailing me as a hero.

These days so few people "do the right thing" that they are heroes... Nobody cares about others everyone is just out for themselves so stop acting like what this guy did isn't a big deal.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
These days so few people "do the right thing" that they are heroes... Nobody cares about others everyone is just out for themselves so stop acting like what this guy did isn't a big deal.
I will never think of someone that has simply done the right thing, as being a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh