Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 AM

346 posts, read 537,058 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, long time Allentown resident here. I know this article might just be a fluff piece, but I think there is a glimmer of hope for my downtrodden neighborhood. Granted we just had one of the worst summer's crime wise in my memorey regarding several shootings in the Allentown/Beltzhoover/Mt. Washington/Knoxville areas, however there seems to be a lot of activity (non criminal ) on Warrington Ave lately. I heard the gentleman who owns the heavily praised Alla Famiglia/Trenta restaraunt has boughten the building that housed "Eaglemart/Schwartzes." (possible restaraunt expansion? parking?) Also I noticed someone has bought the long abondoned bar across the street from Schwartzes and that is currently in the process of being renovated (for what I'm not sure. any info?) Also as the article points out the long empty Laundromat next to the new Zone 3 police station is going to be a coffee shop. There is so much space up here and the proximity to Downtown and the Southside can't be beat. I want to remail hopeful but realistic. Does anyone have any other info on the recent real estate purchases, or any other news developing the possible growth?

Here is the PPG Article.

Boosting Allentown: safety measures, business plans part of larger effort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
I tried going for a walk in your neighborhood one time, to give it a chance. Some kids threw a pair of shoes at me and told me to get out.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM

346 posts, read 537,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I tried going for a walk in your neighborhood one time, to give it a chance. Some kids threw a pair of shoes at me and told me to get out.

Were you barefoot?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Haha, no. It was an odd situation though.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 AM

I love some of the houses up there, though.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Hey guys, long time Allentown resident here. I know this article might just be a fluff piece, but I think there is a glimmer of hope for my downtrodden neighborhood. Granted we just had one of the worst summer's crime wise in my memorey regarding several shootings in the Allentown/Beltzhoover/Mt. Washington/Knoxville areas, however there seems to be a lot of activity (non criminal ) on Warrington Ave lately. I heard the gentleman who owns the heavily praised Alla Famiglia/Trenta restaraunt has boughten the building that housed "Eaglemart/Schwartzes." (possible restaraunt expansion? parking?) Also I noticed someone has bought the long abondoned bar across the street from Schwartzes and that is currently in the process of being renovated (for what I'm not sure. any info?) Also as the article points out the long empty Laundromat next to the new Zone 3 police station is going to be a coffee shop. There is so much space up here and the proximity to Downtown and the Southside can't be beat. I want to remail hopeful but realistic. Does anyone have any other info on the recent real estate purchases, or any other news developing the possible growth?

Here is the PPG Article.

Boosting Allentown: safety measures, business plans part of larger effort
Parking? The last thing that area needs is for anyone to be tearing down buildings for parking. Parking is very easy up there.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 PM

264 posts, read 492,261 times
They need to do something with the surface of Warrington Ave for anyone to take Allentown seriously. Honestly, it feels like I'm driving on some old industrial park thoroughfare every time I go through there. I'd love it if they just paved over the tracks, but the T needs an alternate route for when the tunnel is closed, so that won't happen anytime soon. But look at Beechview, somehow they manage to keep Broadway in semi-decent condition despite the tracks, why can't Allentown get the same treatment?All the street-scaping in the world isn't going to change anyone's opinion of the place if the actual street is still in shambles.

I always though Alla Famiglia looked like a nice place to eat though, glad to see its got a pretty good reputation..might have to try it out one of these days.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Maybe if A-Town gets better than SE Mt Washington can see a change too... It seems like this couldn't have came at a better time (with the Darccide vs Crip & Crip vs Crip violence/shootings in the Southern Hilltop)... I'm not sure how much of a difference it will really make though? The Police Station defiantly made a difference but Idk if A-town can bounce back. Beltzhoover, Knoxville, Mt Oliver Boro, Allentown, Arlington, Arlington Heights are all often viewed as lost causes while Carrick is on it's way to that level. Though I think Mt Oliver (proper) could be changed from the inside-out.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Allentown is quite ideally situated and has a lot of good "starter-home" potential stock (read: can be renovated/restored without breaking the bank), but IMO PAT struck a huge blow to its revitalization prospects when it shut down the Arlington loop or the 52 or the Brown Line or whatever the hell it was called most recently.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
They need to do something with the surface of Warrington Ave for anyone to take Allentown seriously. Honestly, it feels like I'm driving on some old industrial park thoroughfare every time I go through there. I'd love it if they just paved over the tracks, but the T needs an alternate route for when the tunnel is closed, so that won't happen anytime soon. But look at Beechview, somehow they manage to keep Broadway in semi-decent condition despite the tracks, why can't Allentown get the same treatment?All the street-scaping in the world isn't going to change anyone's opinion of the place if the actual street is still in shambles.

I always though Alla Famiglia looked like a nice place to eat though, glad to see its got a pretty good reputation..might have to try it out one of these days.
You better bring your wallet. You will drop $100 plus, per head if you eat there. It's a really high end place. As for Warrington Ave., it's been 25 years since they ripped up the Belgian block, and rebuilt the street. They would have done better to use asphalt instead of concrete. If they would close the street, clean out the cracks and holes, and do proper patching with the right type of concrete, they might get 5-10 more years out of the road. Putting asphalt in the holes just isn't cutting it. The street is the responsibility of Port Authority, so don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh