Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times

Advertisements

The 2007 downtown market survey is in and the news is good!! Downtown Pittsburgh living has an average occupancy rate of 94.6%. Effective rent has seen a jump per square footing in 2007 and the average occupancy of for-rent units has continued an upward trent.

Downtown Pittsburgh currently has 5,728 total units for Urban Core living and there are 2,672 in the pipline.

2007 Downtown Market Survey (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 AM

Pittsburgh is soon-to-announce and launch a program called Paris in Pittsburgh. The Colcom Foundation will be giving out 1 million dollars in grants which will be made available to restaurants, cafes, and coffee houses to expand their operations onto sidewalks and outdoors. More info will be forthcoming but it's a neat idea!

A second project will also be annouced called the Upstairs Fund. It entails 3.4 million dollars worth of funds available to downtown buildings who want to convert their top floors (often vacant) into living spaces.

Neat? I think so!

Quote:
"Paris to Pittsburgh will be especially valuable for coffee shops, book stores, florists and restaurants, to expand their space onto their sidewalks and attract more customers," said Michael Edwards, partnership's CEO and president in an interview with the Tribune-Review today.

It is one of two new economic development projects being announced by the Downtown business advocacy organization at its annual meeting on Tuesday.

The partnership also is unveiling a new Upstairs Fund, a $3.4 million program designed to advance its effort to help property owners convert the vacant upper floors in Downtown buildings into residential opportunities.

The new fund, created with the help of the $1.7 million from the Howard Heinz Endowments and a like amount from the city's Urban Redevelopment Authority, will provide market rate loans to owners of Downtown buildings with less than eight stories.
Downtown Pittsburgh to get a taste of Paris

Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM

It's about time Mt. Washington gets their act together. It's only, without question, the most underdeveloped and underutilized property in the entire greater Pittsburgh region. Grandview should be SWELLING with top-quality condo's and high-rises.

Anyway, maybe this will be a start. There is a large plan to develop, link, and utiilze the business district of Mt. Washington.

Quote:
Residents, business and property owners and developers are invited to attend the 7:00 p.m. meeting at Mt. Washington Senior Center located at 122 Virginia Ave.

The plan, which will be adopted by the end of February, marks Mt. Washington’s first comprehensive main street vision, and was supported by a $10,000 grant from Community Design Center of Pittsburgh.

Encompassing Shiloh St. and parts of Southern, Virginia, Boggs, and Bailey Aves., the plan calls for redevelopment projects, capital improvements and landscape enhancements.
Mt. Washington CDC to unveil first comprehensive business district master plan (http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews/mwcdc0206.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Baum Blvd has a new Ethiopian cuisine restaurant called Tana!

Quote:
Tana, located at 5929 Baum Blvd. in East Liberty, is satisfying Pittsburgh’s craving for Ethiopian cuisine.

Tana serves Ethiopia's trademark Injera bread with its dishes, and presents a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony on Saturdays at 12;30 p.m.

Tana’s appeal transcends cuisine. “It’s become an attraction and more community centered, for us to share our holidays and food. We feel like a magnet,” adds Haileyesus, who says that Pittsburgh’s scattered Ethiopian community has a new gathering spot.
Tana Ethiopian Cuisine spices up Pittsburgh's Baum Blvd. corridor (http://www.popcitymedia.com/developmentnews/tana0206.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Grandview should be SWELLING with top-quality condo's and high-rises.
This isn't what residents want, though. I lived there for 6 years, and people hated the idea of knocking down older 2, 3 and 4 story buildings to put up high-rise monstrosities, increasing traffic and parking problems. It was a big huge deal.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
This isn't what residents want, though. I lived there for 6 years, and people hated the idea of knocking down older 2, 3 and 4 story buildings to put up high-rise monstrosities, increasing traffic and parking problems. It was a big huge deal.
I know, but if I was whoever-the-person-needs-to-be-to-veto-the-community then I'd totally plow over their wishes to be honest with you. Any other city in America that has that sort of view (DO any other cities have such a view??) would be a HUGE attraction with beautiful and expensive homes and condo's that bring lots of people and money to the region.

It's so silly. it's ONE street. I think they'd get over it. LOL. Some of the homes on Grandview are beautiful and I wouldn't want to see them get torn down, but sooo much of it is just trash. Pure trash.

And if they don't want high-rises, at LEAST tear that crap down and build beatiful homes. I know a few of them are ultra-modern, maybe keep up with that? At least it would still be expensive property with a theme. hahaha.

Okay, maybe that's all a little harsh for the locals, but SOMETHING should be done more than it is. That's all I'm saying.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Pittsburgh is soon-to-announce and launch a program called Paris in Pittsburgh. The Colcom Foundation will be giving out 1 million dollars in grants which will be made available to restaurants, cafes, and coffee houses to expand their operations onto sidewalks and outdoors. More info will be forthcoming but it's a neat idea!

A second project will also be annouced called the Upstairs Fund. It entails 3.4 million dollars worth of funds available to downtown buildings who want to convert their top floors (often vacant) into living spaces.

Neat? I think so!

Downtown Pittsburgh to get a taste of Paris

LOVE this idea!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Exclamation Just do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Personally, I think knocking down the old, not kept up properties is a good idea. Placing a "monstrosity" there instead is not the ideal thing to do IF it blocks the views, otherwise, I say DO IT!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Nimby's

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I know, but if I was whoever-the-person-needs-to-be-to-veto-the-community then I'd totally plow over their wishes to be honest with you. Any other city in America that has that sort of view (DO any other cities have such a view??) would be a HUGE attraction with beautiful and expensive homes and condo's that bring lots of people and money to the region.

It's so silly. it's ONE street. I think they'd get over it. LOL. Some of the homes on Grandview are beautiful and I wouldn't want to see them get torn down, but sooo much of it is just trash. Pure trash.

And if they don't want high-rises, at LEAST tear that crap down and build beatiful homes. I know a few of them are ultra-modern, maybe keep up with that? At least it would still be expensive property with a theme. hahaha.

Okay, maybe that's all a little harsh for the locals, but SOMETHING should be done more than it is. That's all I'm saying.
I would pay TOP dollar for a new house there! Nimby's are such losers. (Not In My Back Yard)

Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Some of the homes on Grandview are beautiful and I wouldn't want to see them get torn down, but sooo much of it is just trash. Pure trash.
Where are the trashy houses on Grandview? Most of the houses on G-view are clean, nice, and well kept up. The preservationist in me bristles at the idea of tearing down perfectly good housing stock. I don't blame the residents for wanting to keep the street on a human scale. I used to live on Grandview, across the street from a new townhouse development. They probably had great views and cost a mint, but the architectural style and scale was in keeping with the rest of the neighborhood. Anything bigger would further the Grandview Residents vs. Rest of Mt. Washington problem that's already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh