Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM

374 posts, read 796,098 times

Advertisements

I was the person inquiring about the Blue house on West Oakland... good memory!

I appreciate everyone's input. It is really stressful purchasing properties, especially if you don't live or are unfamiliar with the locations. At this point, I think taking a look at the house is the next step... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
South Oakland south of the Blvd is home to the South Oakland Cripz (S0C)... Though as already stated around Frazier St/Ward St is where most of the action happens (even there it isnt too bad)... Even though its gang turf currently the biggest problem living in the southern part South Oakland for a collage student would probably be commute. The SOC were pretty gang active in the 90's, and then really quieted down... Then in 2005-2008 they resurfaced & caused all kinds of trouble... Shoot! I think I rembember in 2010 a couple of girls rentals got broken into, and one was raped in southern S0... So I would NOT advise anyone to buy/rent in southern S0 since no one can predict when crime might spike. [I put it the same category as Hoodtown (the bad part of Central Northside)/East Dutchtown & Upper Larwanceville]

Last edited by Uptown kid; 09-01-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 953 times
Well, my family live in South Oakland...close to Fraiser and frankly, we all really enjoy the street and neighboorhood! Granted I'm a city person and from Bloomfield originally...so call me biased but, unlike the rest of Oakland (save maybe very nice North Oakland around Schenely Farms and West Oakland bordering on the Hill) its actually a NORMAL neighboorhood with actual families, old people, and what not and everyone knows each other and you have some people on the street ho are very up in everybodies business but they do that because they keep an eye out on whats going on, who is coming and going and they sort of keep people up to no good out...generally. Overall its a safe area...much, much safer than walking through say Semple or even Atwood...even at night. I often work the night shift and have had to walk around the area very late and Ive never had problems. Like anywhere, you must be aware of your surroundings but truely...everyone knows each other and you get an idea of who belongs and who doesnt...because its majority families and old people...you dont have as much partying and most college students dont stay for long because noone likes the parties...yes, people complain and then they get evicted! Happens a lot! personally, I would rent to a family over young, fresh, students or something as its close to the fraiser park and the schenely park and lots of kids live in the area. The area is predominantly mixed african american, white american with some Indians, Latin Americans, Arabs and whatever else. Its not uncommon to see the kids playing on the sidewalks, running up and down the entire length of the street and the neighboorhood folks usually keep an eye on them. ONLY major downside...which mildly hints at activities of an illegal nature is sometimes weve had the street blocked off for raids on a street down. But, its never gone beyond that and even if there is illegal stuff going on, ive never seen it spill out onto the street nor is it obvious! If your not up in peoples business that you shouldnt be in anyway, your pretty good. and again, if people know you and your family...noone bothers you and ofcourse you have nebby grannies who are up in everybodies business as it is.

Overall, we enjoy it...but id say, go to renting to families over young students as it fits with the neighborhood better and they may enjoy the quieter atmosphere, the fact that there are other kids they can actually play with around and its a short walk to Pitt, CMU, buses, the park and the pool and many other spots.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
to Florida Paradise -

i hope it works out for you....

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF PETE IF YOU BUY A RENTAL, MAINTAIN IT AND DONT LET IT GO TO **** just because you know its perennial guaranteed income.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
If you're buying strictly for rental purposes, you'll have absolutely zero trouble keeping a unit/units in that location occupied unless Carlow, Pitt and CMU all mysteriously disappear.

I don't know much about gangs and such, but some of Uptown Kid's posts seem a bit odd to me. I knew plenty of folks in South Oakland just a few years ago when I was at Pitt, and I walked all over that part of town at all hours of the night in various mental states. A bunch of other college kids did too, and I'm sure that's still the case.

The one word of caution I will give you is to try to figure out how to ensure that your unit/units are maintained by the college kids you'll have parading in and out of it. I was constantly shocked by how poorly my friends/fellow students treated their apartments. Kids who have rent paid by parents don't seem to often care about losing security deposits.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Gang activity suspected in South Oakland shootings - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Alleged gang member sentenced - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
S. Oakland gun suspect arrested - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Surge in violence worries residents of South Oakland - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Like I said in another thread they maintain a low profile... They crawl out of what ever rocks come from, slang dope and robb people in different places on the East. In most of their history of operating in the neighborhood they have not feuded with any other neighborhoods, but when the did the made they news. I know South Oakland isn't that bad and it definitely doesn't deserve to be deemed a ghetto, but wouldn't recommend you to walk down Frazier St on a late summer night by your self since it is claimed by the Crips.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
I went to a lot o great college parties there in the 90s through early 2000s.

Ps - what is Collage?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I went to a lot o great college parties there in the 90s through early 2000s.

Ps - what is Collage?
College parties south of the Blvd? I've lived in Oakland 5 years now and have never been to a party south of the Blvd.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Yes. Great parties at the house a few doors down from the church. The house sold a few years ago.

I also went to even better parties on Joe hammer square.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Yes. Great parties at the house a few doors down from the church. The house sold a few years ago.

I also went to even better parties on Joe hammer square.
Haha thats very close to where I live now. Its pretty quite (College wise) over here though, that's why I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh