Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,083,301 times

Advertisements

A PG article suggests that Pitt might be a target for the Big 12.

Pitt a target for Big 12 defection?

Can't see Pitt going to the Big 12. The Big 12 has a bigger payout but what with the defections of Colorado, Nebraska, and Texas A&M intending to leave, the Big 12...er 10 soon to be 9 (sounds like the Big Ten in reverse), looks like a sinking ship. For a while, even Texas was hinting about leaving. Geographically, the Big 12 doesn't fit with Pitt. TCU would be a better choice. But why Pitt in particular?

Of course, people think the Big East might breakup too and realign with football schools. It's been a long time rumor that the Big Ten is interested in the New York market and would want Rutgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,984 times
I don't see how this will remotely work for Pitt. They might gain some funding by joining, but it would kill the fan support and recruiting. Who is going to want to travel to Texas or Oklahoma to watch their kids or friends play. Most of Pitt's current competition is within a morning car ride. No team in the Big 12 is even remotely that close.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,579,875 times
Sweet, Pitt in the Big 12 and TCU in the Big East!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 10,998,935 times
I doubt Pitt would bite nor would most Big East schools. From an academic standpoint, the way I understand it, the Big East schools are superior academically to the Big 12 schools. A few years ago I knew a 25 year old gal here in KC that had good grades at the University of Kansas but could not get into Rutgers or any other Big East school which was a goal of hers. She said that the standards are higher in the Big East than Big 12 schools and that is why she was rejected.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,083,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I doubt Pitt would bite nor would most Big East schools. From an academic standpoint, the way I understand it, the Big East schools are superior academically to the Big 12 schools. A few years ago I knew a 25 year old gal here in KC that had good grades at the University of Kansas but could not get into Rutgers or any other Big East school which was a goal of hers. She said that the standards are higher in the Big East than Big 12 schools and that is why she was rejected.
Even West Virginia?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,532,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Even West Virginia?
West Virginia has a higher party standard. Plus the flammable furnishings requirement....

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM

63 posts, read 107,202 times
There is a reason Nebraska, Colorado, and now A&M decided to leave the Big 12- (9?). The University of Texas controls everything, and they now have the Longhorn Network as well. Pitt, and anyone else would be crazy to join that conference. I think it's more likely that Kansas and Kansas State would join the Big East with their basketball dominance.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM

94 posts, read 133,489 times
Academics in the Big 12 are equal or better than the Big East. The reason someone from Kansas had an easier time getting into KU than Rutgers is simply because out of state admission is harder at comparable schools. Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri are all in the AAU as are soon to be departed Texas A&M and recently departed Colorado. Rutgers and Pitt are the only AAU schools in the Big East. Nevertheless, Pitt shouldn't join simply because the Big 12 is imploding. No one wants to be in a conference with Texas. They only care about themselves and not what is good for the rest of the conference (see The Longhorn Network). They do not want an equal share of revenue between schools, so everyone with any leverage is looking for a way out. They lost Colorado and Nebraska last year, and will lose at least Texas A&M this year. Pitt wouldn't be improving their situation at all. They should stay put unless the Big 10 or ACC comes calling.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksburg Stillers View Post
Academics in the Big 12 are equal or better than the Big East. The reason someone from Kansas had an easier time getting into KU than Rutgers is simply because out of state admission is harder at comparable schools. Texas, Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri are all in the AAU as are soon to be departed Texas A&M and recently departed Colorado. Rutgers and Pitt are the only AAU schools in the Big East. Nevertheless, Pitt shouldn't join simply because the Big 12 is imploding. No one wants to be in a conference with Texas. They only care about themselves and not what is good for the rest of the conference (see The Longhorn Network). They do not want an equal share of revenue between schools, so everyone with any leverage is looking for a way out. They lost Colorado and Nebraska last year, and will lose at least Texas A&M this year. Pitt wouldn't be improving their situation at all. They should stay put unless the Big 10 or ACC comes calling.
The AAU is just a list of leading research institutions. I don't see Boston University, Boston College or Wesleyan University of Middletown, CT among others on that list. Some of the Big 12 schools rank in the Top 100 best schools in the country but more Big East schools can be found on the list and a couple of them are positioned higher than the highest ranked Big 12 school.

Yes, TX has a very large and exclusive TV network that reaps big bucks for the school. Any conference that would take TX has to also take their network from what I understand.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Even West Virginia?
It's not as bad academically as some people might suggest. Since WV and Pitt have a huge rivalry on the ball field, I will defer any personal comments to those that are more familiar with the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh