Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Source please?
It's fairly common knowledge.

Blacks tend to stay in poor neighborhoods well after they've achieved financial success.

Affluent African-Americans Live in Poorer Neighborhoods Than Middle-Class Whites - The Wealth Report - WSJ

By the time they move to a more affluent white neighborhood, they tend to earn significantly more than their white neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
I actually must admit I'm trying to tone down my "rah rah Pittsburgh" just a wee bit now that I actually did some more in-depth research into housing prices last night. I didn't realize now that even rowhomes in need of updating in Bloomfield START in the low-$100k range, when those same places were probably in the $75,000 range not that many years ago. If housing prices continue to appreciate as rapidly as they have been I'll have to buy in a place like Braddock Hills, Swissvale, Millvale, Sharpsburg, etc. by the time I'm able to afford a home for my partner and I in another five years or so even though I'd much rather be in the city proper. I guess there's always the West End, but there's nothing out there when compared to the South Side Flats/Slopes (already cost-prohibitive), SAFE parts of the North Side (cost-prohibitive), and the "diamond in the rough" parts of the East End (which are becoming less and less numerous as the East End rapidly gentrifies).

I'll be selfish and greedy and tell people to move to Cranberry Township cul-de-sacs until I can afford my home!
It's important to point out that you could easily afford to buy a home in Pittsburgh if you worked in the profession you were educated to do. (Accounting, right?) In Virginia, buying a house would have been more difficult even in your old profession. By taking a low paying delivery job when you arrived in Pittsburgh, you basically put yourself in the same financial situation you had in Virginia. But you came here for personal happiness, and from your posts, you do seem much happier than you were in Virginia. Try not to drag yourself down by forgetting your original goals. Remind yourself that you can't afford a house in Pittsburgh because you made a career change for a different work environment, not because Pittsburgh's housing prices are too high.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Generally speaking, all that Pittsburghers have ever expected is that people assimilate themselves regardless of race, religion, national origin or sexuality. Notice how I never said anything about gender, though, because if you give women an inch, they'll take a mile, so they cannot be trusted under any circumstances.
That ^ sort of prejudicial attitude is precisely why there is already a wide gender gap in Pittsburgh, and a tendency to exclude women when it comes to business. This has resulted in the number of women owned businesses and the number of women entreprenuers in this region to lag sadly behind the rest of the nation.

If we can't accept the women among us who are our own fellow citizens,and invite them to be included in sharing at least some success,
then how can we expect immigrants who are from other nationalities ethnicities or race be embraced here either?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

747 posts, read 1,231,762 times
Quote:
Source please?

I cannot find the source at the moment. It was an article in one of our local papers. The story explained the eastern suburban black middle class explosion during the 1990-2000 census. It also explained why the Penn Hills school district did not have the race based fighting that goes on in the Woodland Hills School District. The reason for the lack of racial conflicts had much to do with income and class. Blacks in the Penn Hills school district were at the time more affluent than their white counterparts.

According to more recent stats (2009) it appears that gap has changed dramtically (according to city data income stats).

It appears that white residents earn approximately $44,000 compared to $38,000 for black residents. The amount of black people earning < $10,000 is almost = to those earning >$70,000. I knew the demographics changed, but did not comprehend how dramatic the change was form 1990-2009.

High income black residents are moving east. If you look at places like Oakmont, Churchill, you can see the difference.

Oakmont income

Black = $93,041
White = $64,419

Churchill income

Black = $82,698
White = $79,109

Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
That ^ sort of prejudicial attitude is precisely why there is already a wide gender gap in Pittsburgh, and a tendency to exclude women when it comes to business. This has resulted in the number of women owned businesses and the number of women entreprenuers in this region to lag sadly behind the rest of the nation.

If we can't accept the women among us who are our own fellow citizens,and invite them to be included in sharing at least some success,
then how can we expect immigrants who are from other nationalities ethnicities or race be embraced here either?

I do believe that Mr. G was kidding.

However, I agree 100%.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a couple sidenotes on Chinese cities. First, there is actually quite a bit of ethnic diversity in China. Second, China is still at the stage of the development cycle where urbanization of the rural population is serving as the main driver of population growth in the cities. Once they have reached the tail end of that process, they will start facing the same need for immigrants to maintain urban population growth.
90% Han is not really that diverse, though you could say that means that there are more than 100 million people who are part of minority ethnic groups..........Their population is not going to be growing any time soon, though, considering the skewed sex ratios brought on by the one-child policy.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
90% Han is not really that diverse, though you could say that means that there are more than 100 million people who are part of minority ethnic groups..........Their population is not going to be growing any time soon, though, considering the skewed sex ratios brought on by the one-child policy.
Exactly! Time to repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Demographics of the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the 2010 census, 91.51% of the population was of the Han nationality, and 8.49% were minorities. China's population growth rate is only 0.47%, ranking 156th in the world.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
90% Han is not really that diverse, though you could say that means that there are more than 100 million people who are part of minority ethnic groups.
I would indeed suggest that just looking at the percentage of the majority group is not a comprehensive measure of diversity. Not only does China have over 100 million non-Han, the non-Han population is itself very diverse:

List of ethnic groups in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a big deal since we aren't really discussing China here. But when someone says something like, "There aren't many racial minorities in China; they're almost entirely Chinese," that is a bit oversimplified because either "Chinese" encompasses a lot of distinct ethnic groups, or if you just mean Han, then it is overlooking the many different ethnic groups in China.

See also here:

Zhonghua minzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Income in Oakmont isn't as high as you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Oakmont income

Black = $93,041
White = $64,419

Estimated median household income in 2009: $47,726 (it was $41,957 in 2000)
Oakmont: $47,726

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I would indeed suggest that just looking at the percentage of the majority group is not a comprehensive measure of diversity. Not only does China have over 100 million non-Han, the non-Han population is itself very diverse:

List of ethnic groups in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a big deal since we aren't really discussing China here. But when someone says something like, "There aren't many racial minorities in China; they're almost entirely Chinese," that is a bit oversimplified because either "Chinese" encompasses a lot of distinct ethnic groups, or if you just mean Han, then it is overlooking the many different ethnic groups in China.

See also here:

Zhonghua minzu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm aware of all this, but again, 90% Han is hardly a diverse place. Ask the people in Xinjiang or Tibet or even Inner Mongolia whether the massive influx of Han is threatening their culture in favor of zhonghua minzu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh