Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to a rural area (e.g. older subdivisions and farms, old cute downtown area, no super-Walmart, Starbuck's, etc.) with a reasonable commute (less than 30 minutes) into Cranberry Twp for my husband's job. Any suggestions?

We are interested in someplace safe and friendly, a home with 1-5 acres with 3-4 bedrooms, and a town where outsiders are welcomed into an established community. I am a stay-at-home mom of an infant and toddler. I plan to homeschool so would love to be near a homeschooling community, but I might change my mind come school-age so a good school district is important too. Ideally I would love to be near a big park with bike riding trails and also be able to ride my bike with the kids to the store, so not someplace too remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerRidge View Post
We are looking to move to a rural area (e.g. older subdivisions and farms, old cute downtown area, no super-Walmart, Starbuck's, etc.) with a reasonable commute (less than 30 minutes) into Cranberry Twp for my husband's job. Any suggestions?

We are interested in someplace safe and friendly, a home with 1-5 acres with 3-4 bedrooms, and a town where outsiders are welcomed into an established community. I am a stay-at-home mom of an infant and toddler. I plan to homeschool so would love to be near a homeschooling community, but I might change my mind come school-age so a good school district is important too. Ideally I would love to be near a big park with bike riding trails and also be able to ride my bike with the kids to the store, so not someplace too remote.
The area around McConnells Mill and Moraine State Parks is pretty rural. Rural areas, not being suburbs, don't have subdivisions; and since they're not cities they don't have downtowns either. There are some cute villages, like Slippery Rock, Volant and New Wilmington.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Zelienople, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
I, too, was thinking Zelienople when I first read your post. I am not sure what the homeschooling regulations are, but I get the impression that unless you are a certified teacher, you'll need to enroll your homeschooled child in some sort of online school. I am sure those more knowledgeable in this area can correct me if I am wrong.

I often see references and ads for PA Cyber School in the newspaper; however, I have no idea if it is any good. I do believe that PA Cyber has a center in Wexford, which isn't too far from Zelienople, where kids can participate in activites with other cyber/homeschooled students and use resources beyond those found in their homes.

Here's a link for the "school:" http://www.pacyber.org/

Last edited by Kippy; 09-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Saxonburg, would be in that range as well. Nice little town.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I second Zelienople and Saxonburg, and I'll add Harmony.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Saxonburg seems like it could be a little far depending on the time of day you're making the drive.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
What about Evans City? Just throwing that out there for those who are more familiar to comment on. I just know that it's up that way and does have a small main street district.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
What about Evans City? Just throwing that out there for those who are more familiar to comment on. I just know that it's up that way and does have a small main street district.
Not a bad little area, not much in the way of newer homes, but then again, all urban types on this forum seem to hate cookie cutter plans.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM

17 posts, read 32,583 times
I own a business in Evans City. It is a nice little area, and is very convenient to Cranberry. the business district is small, but there is a grocery store, pharmacy, doctors offices, and of course a very nice mattress store! I have some customers that home school their children, but I'm also not sure of the regulations. It is a friendly community, though not very diverse. Zelie and harmony are also nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh