Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times

Advertisements

It sure would be interesting to see how that would go in our region. Would people that can start working instead of living off the tax payer? Would crime go up? With all the money savings, I suspect it would be easy to hire more police.

If it happened, what would the effects be in Pittsburgh?

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,694,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It sure would be interesting to see how that would go in our region. Would people that can start working instead of living off the tax payer? Would crime go up? With all the money savings, I suspect it would be easy to hire more police.

This may actually help solve the illegal immigrant problem as well. All those jobs that "Americans wont do" may now have eager applicants. Not that employers will want to pay them legally required wages, but that is the argument we constantly hear from the criminal enablers, I mean immigrant activists.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times
Since PA already has a five-year limit, I'm guessing it would not result in a radical change.

Edit: Here is an overview of PA's five-year limit rules:

http://www.ehow.com/info_7962173_pen...ear-limit.html

Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,847,631 times
"time-outs" & "extensions for those facing obstacles to financial independence" must be loosely granted as I have no other explanation for the money that people I see who have been paying for things with their ebt access card for way more than 5 years, unless the 5 year limit only applies to 1 particular segment of public assistance (full benefits) rather then all forms of assistance.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM

632 posts, read 1,734,546 times
Huh. And I here thought for sure hcurtis was a Marxist. At least that's what the poster in the other thread said about him when he dissed Steelers football. Since the whole connection between commie pinko sympathies and lack of football fandom made so much logical sense, I just assumed that poster knew what he was talking about.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...l#post20776295

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,051,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
"time-outs" & "extensions for those facing obstacles to financial independence" must be loosely granted as I have no other explanation for the money that people I see who have been paying for things with their ebt access card for way more than 5 years, unless the 5 year limit only applies to 1 particular segment of public assistance (full benefits) rather then all forms of assistance.
I wonder what percentage of recipients receive extensions.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times
Quote:
people I see who have been paying for things with their ebt access card for way more than 5 years
Interesting hobby.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Interesting hobby.
I'm unfortunately related to a benefits abuser of every kind.... if there's a scheme, she & her b/f have done it, but not sharing the details

Last edited by UKyank; 09-07-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,694,789 times
Quote:
These cards should go away all together. I understand perfectly that people can not be left to starve in the streets and need assistance, but it should not be an open system like it is. While I hate the thought of state or local government administering virtually anything, state food kitchens would dramatically cut down on fraud and maybe even help people eat better. I'm sick of standing behind people with carts full of junk food( and a couple of cartons of cigs) who whip out their card. Given them the right food to survive but nothing more.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
These cards should go away all together. I understand perfectly that people can not be left to starve in the streets and need assistance, but it should not be an open system like it is. While I hate the thought of state or local government administering virtually anything, state food kitchens would dramatically cut down on fraud and maybe even help people eat better. I'm sick of standing behind people with carts full of junk food( and a couple of cartons of cigs) who whip out their card. Given them the right food to survive but nothing more.
I'm pretty sure you can't purchase cigerettes with the card, however, I have seen many time at my GE here, people buying their food with the card, and then having cigerettes as a seperate transaction and paying with cash.

Along with the length of time that someone can recieve assistance, the items that one can use an ebt card on should be extremely limited to healthy staple items.

Welfare as a safety net is necessary for an advanced society to operate, welfare as a lifestyle is a perscription to destroy society.

If you have a physical or mental illness (a real one, not the "i'm depressed" thus 'suffering from disability type' variety of illness) then I am all for public assistance, and in fact what is provided should be increased substantially for such people as they cannot help themselves.
The others....really, you can't be totally self sufficient after 5 years of public help, including, among other things, educational job training? You must not really want to help yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: