Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Posting a picture of your home (particularly where a house number or other location-identifying information) is probably something many people are not comfortable with. I know I'm not, particularly since certain posters have been known to bring up this kind of information in threads much later. No thanks, I don't need any crazycakes internet stalkers.
It's easy enough to edit out address numbers. You could just do what I did, and post an exterior shot of your house that you took in the evening, so not to show too many of the details. Or you could just not post an exterior shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Got a question about your bathrooom renovation. Did you have your tub reglazed? If so who did you get to do it? Are you happy with their work?
I did not have it reglazed. It was in great condition, some I just put some elbow grease into cleaning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I'm also not 100% comfortable posting pictures of our house (which is not terribly hard to pin down), but I have created a crude website. So far it just has a few exterior shots and some text, but I might add some interior shots at some point (heck, I would even entertain photo requests).

Anyway, if anyone from the forum that I know (and trust, but that is the overwhelming majority of regular posters) wants a link, just send me a direct message (obviously, I am asking you don't share the link without permission).

Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM

112 posts, read 161,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Posting a picture of your home (particularly where a house number or other location-identifying information) is probably something many people are not comfortable with. I know I'm not, particularly since certain posters have been known to bring up this kind of information in threads much later. No thanks, I don't need any crazycakes internet stalkers.

Besides, I live in new construction. You hard-core people would hate it.

But I can say that the homes posted so far hold absolutely no appeal to me. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't think there are that many people out there who are going to start stalking someone after they post pics of their house. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm pretty new to this forum.

Though, if someone really wants to find out where you live, they will find out. We're not as anonymous on the internet as we might like to think we are.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,412,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
I don't think there are that many people out there who are going to start stalking someone after they post pics of their house. Maybe I'm wrong though, I'm pretty new to this forum.

Though, if someone really wants to find out where you live, they will find out. We're not as anonymous on the internet as we might like to think we are.
You'd be surprised. Someone once mentioned where they live in pretty good detail. Another poster (who has posted in this thread) brings it up on occasion, much to that person's dismay. It's kind of stalkerish/freaky.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
there's a poster on this forum who made it really clear where they were moving, and their new landlord was emailed by someone pretending to be them and trying to mess up their new living situation.

i used to be a mod on another board and I've seen many people try to dig up real life information on other people who they have conflicts with online in order to mess with them or even just rub it in their faces and make them feel vulnerable. it's even happened to me. so yeah, I'm not about to post a picture of my house on here, especially since it's pretty distinctive looking and it's pretty easy to figure out the small neighborhood i live in from my posts.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there's a poster on this forum who made it really clear where they were moving, and their new landlord was emailed by someone pretending to be them and trying to mess up their new living situation.

i used to be a mod on another board and I've seen many people try to dig up real life information on other people who they have conflicts with online in order to mess with them or even just rub it in their faces and make them feel vulnerable. it's even happened to me. so yeah, I'm not about to post a picture of my house on here, especially since it's pretty distinctive looking and it's pretty easy to figure out the small neighborhood i live in from my posts.
I agree.

I knew a guy who was a popular blog writer and a poster on a forum. He basically exposed his life on a famous popular expat blog (that was a bit famous), and some people on a forum decided collectively they didn't like him. He stopped posting on the forum, but they kept taunting him - trying to get him fired, try to disrupt his relationship, and than post about it on the forum.

It was one of the uglist things I'd ever seen. The guy ended up committing suicide. Most on the forum just thought it was something he'd do anyway, but I always believed it was their aggressive stalking of trying to ruin his life.

He also published a book from his blogs..so the blogs were so intertwined with his life.

Since I knew that guy very well personally, from that time on, I always cover my exact tracks online. No matter how 'cool' you try to be online with everyone, there is always someone out there somewhere who just decides they don't like you. I've seen it so many times.

---

All that being said, this thread is a very interesting one. If it were me, I'd probably do a few interior shots...than go a few neighborhoods over, and try to find an exterior house that kinda sorta looks like mine, especially if its a dime-a-dozen looking house.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

Not to freak you out or anything, but I know where you live.

Seriously, something you posted on here made me realize I met you in person. In our conversation, you mentioned which house was yours. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone where you live.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Y'all don't want to see my 80s suburban house anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
I only started looking at this board, because a poster here mentioned a nutty neighbor of his who I know. I printed the page and showed it to another friend of the nutty neighbor.

Since I know where that guy and his dogs live, I knew where the poster lived even before I registered.

Pittsburgh isn't a large place, posting here isn't the same as posting on some world wide forum.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Not to freak you out or anything, but I know where you live.

Seriously, something you posted on here made me realize I met you in person. In our conversation, you mentioned which house was yours. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone where you live.

haha, i figured out that i met you too! i don't know where you live though.

and spam dude, this is a world wide forum. city-data is a huge site and turns up very high in google searches.

i mean, I've already cited an example of someone using identifying information found on here to harass someone. that person could have lost their apartment over this incident. i think something about interaction on the internet allows people to dehumanize people they disagree with and pull some pretty messed up stuff that can affect people's real lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh