U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 3,130,356 times

Advertisements

There's a lot out there why FSU will stay put. I realize it's gets over shadowed by the tin foil hats on the internets....

Arguments Favoring FSU-Clemson Move to Big 12 lack Merit

Anyway, I can see frustration over the ACC's deal. After all, the ACC had more TV viewers than the Big 12 in 2011, but it would be seriously short sighted and premature to make a generational change of conferences, particularly to an unstable Big 12.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,277,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
There's a lot out there why FSU will stay put. I realize it's gets over shadowed by the tin foil hats on the internets....

Arguments Favoring FSU-Clemson Move to Big 12 lack Merit

Anyway, I can see frustration over the ACC's deal. After all, the ACC had more TV viewers than the Big 12 in 2011, but it would be seriously short sighted and premature to make a generational change of conferences, particularly to an unstable Big 12.
It is no longer tinhats. The trustees, the coach, and the fans have spoken and they want FSU to join the Big 12. If the Big 12 wants them they will join, but the question is do they add enough to the Big 12?

Quote:
FSU hasn’t won the ACC since 2005, and hasn’t played in a major bowl since that 2005 season. Remember when the ’Noles had an unthinkable NCAA record streak of 14 straight Top 5 finishes in the AP poll?

The FSU brand was built then, when Bobby Bowden’s teams rolled through the inferior ACC for nine of those 14 seasons. They were supremely talented and utterly untested with the exception of two games every year: against state rivals—and non-conference opponents—Florida and Miami.

Once that 14-year run ended, the metamorphosis was complete. FSU became the ACC instead of the ACC becoming FSU.

The case can be made, rather easily, that FSU hasn’t been the same since it lost to Oklahoma in the 2000 BCS National Championship Game. How fitting.

Read more: FSU has fallen back to ACC; Big 12 would eat up Seminoles - NCAA Football - Sporting News
Full story here

I am mixed about FSU joining the Big 12.

The ACC has destroyed FSU's football program, and now they are not good. They wouldnt improve Big 12 much, but on the other hand there is not much room for the Big 12 to expand. The best teams are in the SEC and they are hard to raid, leaving only the ACC which is easy to raid, but the football teams are not good. FSU & Clemson are not really good choices, but at the moment they are the best, since the ACC is the only conference with teams to raid.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The trustees, the coach, and the fans have spoken and they want FSU to join the Big 12
It's hardly universal and you dismiss posturing.

Quote:
If the Big 12 wants them they will join, but the question is do they add enough to the Big 12?
Is anything every enough for Texas?

Most comments (including yours) indicate it's all about the money, so it seems that if FSU wants the Big 12, they will join.

Quote:
The ACC has destroyed FSU's football program
FSU has to look in the mirror. They, like Penn St, had to old men who had accomplished a lot, but stayed too long and both programs suffered for it.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,422,502 times
If FSU and Clemson left, filling those slots would be easy. Connecticut would be a good add. Not crazy about Rutgers but academically they're good. Lots of good choices in the Big East. They might even take Central Florida as they might want another Florida team.

Course, even Pitt could jump to the Big 12 as a travel partner for WV.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
It's hardly universal and you dismiss posturing.

Is anything every enough for Texas?

Most comments (including yours) indicate it's all about the money, so it seems that if FSU wants the Big 12, they will join.

FSU has to look in the mirror. They, like Penn St, had to old men who had accomplished a lot, but stayed too long and both programs suffered for it.
It is all about money, which is why FSU, along with Clemson, is probably going to join the Big 12. This is all about posturing. The rumors started before the ACC contract was finalized, probably by FSU to let the ACC know they werent happy and they better make them or they will try and leave. The ACC didnt listen and signed a contract with ESPN that screwed over the football schools in favor of the tobacco road basketball schools.

Now FSU is signaling to the Big 12 they will be willing to join if the money is right. FSU wont really add to the Big 12's football credentials, or even basketball, although they have the potential to once they are playing good teams again. However, they can generate more revenue for the conference and every school.

On one hand all this is not good for college football. Im not talking about conference realignment, but the BCS system. It has changed the nature of the game from local rivalries into an organization similar to the NFL where money is key. The ACC is on the chopping block because it doesnt generate enough money for its football schools. In turn they have less for recruiting and their programs get worse and worse. College football is now a very mercenary game.

A few weeks ago you dismissed everything I said as, "internet rumors." It is now all coming true, and even you have to admit FSU is definitely letting the Big 12 know it wants to join them. Everything I have said has come true so far, and your, "the ACC schools will stick together because of culture and academics," isnt happening. The Tobacco road schools might, but the schools that jumped onboard on the ACC because it was a better opportunity are now leaving it just as fast for even better opportunities. In the future they may leave the conferences they are leaving the ACC to join. Like I said it is not about loyalty anymore.

You are going to see more internet rumors coming true. I bet ND is going to the Big 10, and watch them take BC with them. The ACC might end up losing Miami and Georgia Tech, and if that happens VT will probably try and leave too. Anyway, the FSU drama is probably not going to get resolved in the next few days. I predict it will take a few months for them to come to a decision, and their is going to be a lot of backroom meetings, and in the end they are going to join the conference with the biggest payout. The Big 12 has a big advantage in this regard, but again the Big 12 may not want FSU.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If FSU and Clemson left, filling those slots would be easy. Connecticut would be a good add. Not crazy about Rutgers but academically they're good. Lots of good choices in the Big East. They might even take Central Florida as they might want another Florida team.

Course, even Pitt could jump to the Big 12 as a travel partner for WV.
The ACC will be fine. Even if Miami, GT, BC, and VT left they could raid the remainder of the Big E football teams.

That is what I said in a few days ago. The ACC is not going anywhere, but its football credentials, which arent very good right now, are about to get a lot worse.

In many ways the ACC is going to resemble the old Big East, except instead of football schools in a conference with basketball only schools, it will be a conference of good basketball schools with mediocre football schools. They will still get their automatic qualifying game, but dont expect them to win it often.

You also need to consider the Big 12 isnt the only conference about to raid the ACC. The Big 10 wants ND, and it is widely speculated they will take BC with them. The Big 10 may also want Rutgers, or even Connecticut. You also have the SEC, and while there are not a lot of teams in the ACC the SEC would want I could see them going after VT.

I honestly dont see Pitt getting an invite to the Big 12. I would love it if they did, but their market is not big enough and they dont add anything to the conference's football.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
A few weeks ago you dismissed everything I said as, "internet rumors." It is now all coming true, and even you have to admit FSU is definitely letting the Big 12 know it wants to join them
I also noted it has to play out - meaning actually happen.

And when I say posturing I mean like the Pens threatening to leave town unless a new arena is built.... like many pro teams do. Has it happened? yes, but most don't do it and have no desire to move.

NASCAR had opened up cities to bid on becoming the home to their hall of fame. Everybody knew that they were just creating a climate to get more out of their home town of Charlotte.

And it worked, just like it did for Mario and so many others.

ESPN has an interest in a viable ACC. It already has more tv viewers than the Big 12. They just need to work it out.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I also noted it has to play out - meaning actually happen.

And when I say posturing I mean like the Pens threatening to leave town unless a new arena is built.... like many pro teams do. Has it happened? yes, but most don't do it and have no desire to move.

NASCAR had opened up cities to bid on becoming the home to their hall of fame. Everybody knew that they were just creating a climate to get more out of their home town of Charlotte.

And it worked, just like it did for Mario and so many others.

ESPN has an interest in a viable ACC. It already has more tv viewers than the Big 12. They just need to work it out.
The difference is the ACC has nothing to offer, and cant revise the deal.

This decision is out of the ACC's hands. It is now up to the Big 12. Like I said they may not want FSU, but if they do, FSU is ripe for the taking.

It also is playing out just like I said. You were arguing, "everything is fine," right up until everything I said would happen happened. I am telling it like it is. The Big 12 gets to decide if they want FSU, or not.

Also, ESPN gave the ACC a good deal, considering their situation. They are a weak conference, and have no one to blame for it but their own leadership.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM

You are going to continue to make the same comments on a limited focus of the complex situation of most schools and their conferences. As I told you before, if it happens it happens, but there are too many components to this and moving parts to say definitively that they would really want to go. Which is much more difficult to ascertain than the obvious that the Big 12 would jump to have FSU. Even Austin knows that getting a brand name in a huge TV market state is a given.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,422,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You also need to consider the Big 12 isnt the only conference about to raid the ACC. The Big 10 wants ND, and it is widely speculated they will take BC with them. The Big 10 may also want Rutgers, or even Connecticut. You also have the SEC, and while there are not a lot of teams in the ACC the SEC would want I could see them going after VT.
ND has held out for a long time. Unless the Big Ten gives them a deal like the Big East, they might remain independent. ND will want to keep their Navy and USC games. Those along with a conference schedule won't allow them to play as broad a field a much. I think there are only 3 Big Ten teams they really want to play. And isn't Stanford another favorite opponent of ND? ND even likes to play Pitt now and then. Like it or not ND is still the pretty girl who can take her pick.

Quote:
I honestly dont see Pitt getting an invite to the Big 12. I would love it if they did, but their market is not big enough and they dont add anything to the conference's football.
The Pittsburgh market is fine plus PA is a good football recruiting ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh