Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But to be fair, it should be accepted by now that what is said to the press isn't worth a plugged nickel. How many times have we heard coaches deny talks with another team and the next day they are at a press conference wearing that team's hat?

I don't place much value in these sorts of statements to the press. I guess they don't want to show their hand to alert the those that might oppose it.
There are legal and economic reasons for that.

If the deal falls through everyone can deny it. Nobody wants to go on record until it is 100% certain. Also the Big 12 could be sued by the ACC for tortous interference.

You notice teams always deny they are leaving, while creating leaks they are, and right before it is official they announce it.

This case might be different though. It is certain at this point FSU is trying to get into the Big 12, but we dont know what the Big 12 is saying to them in private.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
There is conflicting information on what FSU "wants."

There is a lot more coming from Big 12 world on wanting FSU (and much of the FSU "wanting" the Big 12 also seems to come from Big 12 world).

Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
There is conflicting information on what FSU "wants."

There is a lot more coming from Big 12 world on wanting FSU (and much of the FSU "wanting" the Big 12 also seems to come from Big 12 world).
Yeah, the Big 12 is not that enthusiastic, although FSU's leadership, and the fans are very excited the prospect. I will admit I made a mistake when I thought the Big 12 was behind the move. It was all done by FSU. However, you have to let that slide since in the past it was always mutual and this is the first time ever a team has tried to get out of a conference in such a matter. Wont be the last for the ACC.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
ok so now the big 12 doesn't want the 2 teams that never considered coming anyway?

i guess its easier to start this path than worry about being 100% wrong on your 200 posts in this thread..

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I will admit I made a mistake when I thought the Big 12 was behind the move
You did. It was Mhver & company on WVU boards.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
ok so now the big 12 doesn't want the 2 teams that never considered coming anyway?

i guess its easier to start this path than worry about being 100% wrong on your 200 posts in this thread..
I never said they didnt want them. They are stating they are happy at 10, but will, "consider expansion." None of us know, the only thing we all know is FSU wants to join the Big 12. My guess is they are exploring the benefits, and if deemed beneficial will admit FSU which is begging to get out of the ACC. I also stated many times that if FSU doesnt get into the Big 12 it is because the Big 12 turned them down when they wanted in.

I still stand 100% that the ACC is unstable, irrelevant, and is going to lose its best football teams. However, I am not so sure if the Big 12 will take them. It also shows how much ACC football sucks.

Like I said earlier I was right about the ACC about to breakup. What I was wrong about was the cause. I thought the Big 12 was secretly talking with FSU & Clemson, and perhaps more ACC teams. What I know now is FSU decided the ACC was a dead end and is signaling to the Big 12 it wants in. There has never been a case where a team felt a conference was so bad it had to force outself out. Also, how often does a conference turn down a school like FSU?

It is also possible that I was right, and neither school wants to go on record to admit it, until they are willing to make formal announcement. You can never really tell when it comes to realignment. I think the issue is between UT and the rest of the conference. UT doesnt want to seem to expand, although I dont see why not. If they announced the Big 12 wanted to expand to 12 teams they could have FSU & Clemson tomorrow, and if they announced 14 teams they could have another 2 ACC teams.

I personally think the Big 12 should take all the good ACC teams who want out, and if the Big 12 doesnt take them another conference will. The FSU fans are all for the move btw. The only people who dont want it are people whose team are stuck in the ACC, like Pitt.

Here are some key dates for when FSU will announce its departure.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 05-22-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM

A few points from the AJC:

Mark Bradley
Is the ACC doomed? Hardly, and here are the reasons why

Points on the "Florida State is already gone" rumors:

Quote:
Not true. Not even close.
Quote:
The Big 12 needs Florida State more than FSU needs the Big 12. Even after adding West Virginia and TCU, the Big 12 is up to only 10 members. Any school considering Big 12 relocation must grasp that the Big 12 exists to prop up Texas. From Barron’s memo: “Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M left the Big 12 at least in part because the Big 12 is not an equal-share conference. Texas has considerably more resource avenues and gains a larger share (and I say this as a former dean of the University of Texas at Austin).”
But of course the Rivals forumers, like Mhver know better.... after all they have "sources"

Sources that don't talk to real media, only to members of Rivals etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM

More on the continued message board fueled drama...

Lies & Ignorance Continue to Fuel Desire of Many FSU & Clemson Fans to Ditch ACC

Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Lots of interesting info in this article...

ACC Expansion: No Buyer's Remorse | AthlonSports.com

Quote:

“(Pitt and Syracuse) may not have had good seasons last year, but over time, you have teams that are good and bad,” North Carolina AD Bubba Cunningham says. “You want to associate with schools you can work with.”

That’s the key to the Pitt-Syracuse entrance into the ACC. This is not about making the conference stronger in football, although it is reasonable to think the schools won’t struggle long term. This is about fit. It’s about increasing recruiting opportunities. It’s about adding markets to become more attractive to television networks. About bringing aboard schools with similar academic missions and profiles. If the ACC wanted simply to make itself better on the gridiron (and some maintain that should be the goal of every expansion), it could have looked elsewhere, perhaps to West Virginia. But when it comes to the bigger picture, the league made a good move and has solidified itself for the future.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Quotes from Clemson coach Swinney

Quote:
"We are 1000% committed to the ACC. In my opinion, going to the Big 12 would be the worst thing we could do as a football program. It makes zero sense. We are the ACC. This is a program that just won the championship, we've won it more times than anyone in this conference. We can fulfill every goal and dream we have as a program right here in this conference. "

"Swinney told TigerNet.com, "Listen, if you want to know what going to the Big 12, how that's going to affect football at Clemson, I've live it for about the last month. And it's been very negative. It's been very negative."

"That's just been irresponsible on a lot of people's part, some of things that have been put out there. I know for a fact that we're committed to making this the best league it can possibly be and committed to making Clemson the national champions."

"This Southeast territory has been our bread & butter. That's what's made Clemson. People don't want to leave here. They want to play in this foot print. That's a fact. I just don't think it wouldn't be a wise decision (to leave the ACC). That's just the football coach's opinion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh