U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-13-2012, 01:56 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,050,257 times
Big 12 was not expanding. So now they are back on the, "we love the acc boat," until one of the 4 relevant conferences, which the acc is not part of, decide to expand. Fsu and Clemson let the big 12 know their interest and were rejected for the moment. The acc is still a weak and irrelevant football conference and until they change this any school with football ambitions will be more than willing to leave for a better conference, assuming the conference will take them.

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM

EgS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
They want out because the acc is a basketball conference with weak football. They also get paid much less than the 4 tier 1 football conferences. Just like the big e the acc neglected football for basketball and in turn it has become the new big e.

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM

3,007 posts, read 1,520,411 times
What happens if one of or more of the "only relevant" (as you put it) 4 conferences ends up producing a conference of mediocre to bad teams through the course of the season? No conference can be dominant forever.

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
What happens if one of or more of the "only relevant" (as you put it) 4 conferences ends up producing a conference of mediocre to bad teams through the course of the season? No conference can be dominant forever.
Well one season doesn't mean much. The acc has been a weak football conference for over a decade and the expansion which was supposed to make it good failed.

It is possible that the 4 super conferences might suck. It is also possible that the ivy league will become the best league and the Cleveland bears will win 5 super bowls in a row. Maybe Canada will win the next world cup and Jamaica will win a gold in hockey next winter Olympics . Who knows what the future holds? However, in the present the acc is an unstable 2nd rate football conference. It might be the best 2nd rate football conference but that is not going to get it any respect.

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM

3,007 posts, read 1,520,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
However, in the present the acc is an unstable 2nd rate football conference. It might be the best 2nd rate football conference but that is not going to get it any respect.
In your humble opinion of course

Unread 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,607,186 times
More slapping down of the nonsense (notice how those who pushed the propaganda are now backpedaling on forums like city data etc?)

Big 12 is a bad idea for Clemson

Unread 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Onference
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
In your humble opinion of course
In the opinion of all non-biased people. The acc is an awesome basketball conference. In football it sucks.

Unread 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
More slapping down of the nonsense (notice how those who pushed the propaganda are now backpedaling on forums like city data etc?)

Big 12 is a bad idea for Clemson
No one is back pedaling. Big 12 rejected them so now they are reaffirming their loyalty to the acc which they are stuck in.

I admit I was wrong in assuming the big 12 would give them an invite after they expressed interest. Personally I think the big 12 should have taken them, but they can always raid them later.

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,607,186 times
...like I said back pedaling... or more accurately rewriting history.

Unread 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
...like I said back pedaling... or more accurately rewriting history.
No, I fully admit I made a mistake. I assumed the Big 12 would take advantage of the ACC's weakness. I had no basis to assume the Big 12 would exploit the ACC's terrible football by raiding them, but came to the conclusion based on what I would do.

However, I still stand by the fact the ACC sucks at football, is unstable, and could be raided any moment. If any of the 4 good football conferences want one of the few good ACC football programs, and there is not many, they could have them. The Big 12 didnt say it was never expanding, just it was not expanding at the moment. FSU and Clemson didnt stay in the ACC because they wanted to, but because they couldnt get into a better conference. As soon as they can say goodbye to them. I suspect VT will be leaving too.

In all honesty the ACC might not be a bad fit for Pitt. They arent really a football school anymore, and a good basketball conference might not be bad for a school with no grand football ambitions. It is a small step up from the Big E. Being in the ACC is only bad if you care about college football. For a basketball, and a basketball centered school, it is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh