Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 PM

128 posts, read 200,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Would they have to cut their OOC games? No way do they end the Georgia Tech/Georgia game. FBS schools like to have some tune-up/easy/homecoming games in their schedules so the FCS schools might still figure in.
One or two non-conference games would get dropped to pick up the extra conference games from an expansion. There will still be 2-3 non-conference games and the big OOC rivalries will be the last ones cut. Who'll get hurt, using VT as an example, are teams like Arkansas State who VT played this week. That sort of game would get dropped and a small school like that may find it tougher to schedule a big/ranked team (even an away-away) since there'll be more competition for fewer games as every conference looks to expand to 14-16 teams. The other option would be for the NCAA to expand the season, but I highly doubt such a thing would occur.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
If people think Pitt football is bad now, wait until they are playing the ACC teams. Pitt definitely will not win the ACC conference for a long time and basketball will probably take a hit too when Pitt has to play Duck, UNC, etc every season.
What are you talking about. After Duke and Carolina, ACC hoops has been very mediocre. Maryland has declined badly, NC State is a has been, and the rest are just so-so. Did you miss that UConn won the National Championship last year? Ever heard of Villanova? WVU was in the Final 4 two years ago. The BE sent 11 teams to the tournament last year, the ACC sent 4. How is one game each vs UNC and Duke going to cause Pitt to have a worse record?

As for football, Pitt didn't have much trouble with Tech when they were on the schedule before. FSU isn't nearly what they were, and Miami is going to get gutted by NCAA sanctions. Pitt ought to be very competitive.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I hope they get into the ACC and they start recruiting more like Duke.

NO!!!!!!!!!

You want Pitt to be the most hated and ridiculed team in the country then? I will pass thanks.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
no......FSU/V-Tech/Miami/MD/VA/BC/UNC are all NAME schools, nobody cares about USF/UCONN/CINCI. The ACC is and was leaps and bounds beyond the Big East for football. The Big East has been under massive scrutiny since about 2005 and constantly under stress for losing it's automatic BCS qualifying bid...WVU and Cinci's fluke two year run were the only thing saving it. Basketball is a different story, but the Big East has long since fallen apart as a football conference.

Pitt did very, very well for itself with this move. It won't stand a chance when it comes to competing in football, and those 30 win basketball seasons are probably going to be gone as well...but it's the right move. I just hope that WVU follows next along with somebody like Louisville in the least.

I think he meant that they were better on the field since '03. Which is easily arguable. And yes that does still matter to people, just not the ones handing out the money through network deals.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Quote:
I just don't see Pitt's street ball inner city style fitting in with the ACC conference. I mean the Big East just seem like a bunch of ball players that just rolled out of jail and then you have the ACC where the kids seem so much more professional. I hope they get into the ACC and they start recruiting more like Duke. That would be so much better.
How this post remains is beyond explanation?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I hope they get into the ACC and they start recruiting more like Duke. That would be so much better.
More white kids, right?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!

You want Pitt to be the most hated and ridiculed team in the country then? I will pass thanks.
Duke year after year has a very discipline team. That is what I was referring to. I like the style of basketball they play. Lots of working the ball and passing. Less showboat crap and selfish play. Been a basketball player and fan for most all my life. I had such respect for Princeton's old team back in the days of Peter J. "Pete" Carril. They were amazing considering how hard it would be to field a team without going to the jails and parol officers for recruits. By the way, before anyone calls that a racist statement, you better look at your own views, because I only mentioned "jail", not race. They are not one in the same, so don't put words in my mouth. You better adjust your thinking! I am talking about college. A place to educate, not recruit just because someone it great at a sport. I think the ACC is overall, a pretty good league. I am happy for Pitt!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Duke year after year has a very discipline team. That is what I was referring to. I like the style of basketball they play. Lots of working the ball and passing. Less showboat crap and selfish play. Been a basketball player and fan for most all my life. I had such respect for Princeton's old team back in the days of Peter J. "Pete" Carril. They were amazing considering how hard it would be to field a team without going to the jails and parol officers for recruits. By the way, before anyone calls that a racist statement, you better look at your own views, because I only mentioned "jail", not race. They are not one in the same, so don't put words in my mouth. You better adjust your thinking! I am talking about college. A place to educate, not recruit just because someone it great at a sport. I think the ACC is overall, a pretty good league. I am happy for Pitt!
Please explain to me how recently Duke has been a more disciplined basketball team than Pitt? That is a word that you consistently hear when people are discussing the program under Dixon. For some reason, you think Pitt is a very different style team than they are which makes me suspect that you don't actually watch them much.

Also, I'd like to know the last Pitt basketball recruit with a criminal record, since implicit in your comments is that is the type of player Dixon recruits. Maybe though you just associate all inner-city youth with jail and parole officers, I'm not sure.

BTW, I thought this comment from Jay Bilas, a former Dukie was on point:
The Big East has been the best basketball conference in the country over the past five years, and it isn't really a close call.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...-pitt-syracuse

Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Please explain to me how recently Duke has been a more disciplined basketball team than Pitt? That is a word that you consistently hear when people are discussing the program under Dixon. For some reason, you think Pitt is a very different style team than they are which makes me suspect that you don't actually watch them much.

Also, I'd like to know the last Pitt basketball recruit with a criminal record, since implicit in your comments is that is the type of player Dixon recruits. Maybe though you just associate all inner-city youth with jail and parole officers, I'm not sure.

BTW, I thought this comment from Jay Bilas, a former Dukie was on point:
The Big East has been the best basketball conference in the country over the past five years, and it isn't really a close call.

College Basketball - ACC regains supremacy in basketball with Pitt, Syracuse - ESPN

Agree completely. Pitt's basketball program is awesome. They are very disciplined on both ends of the floor. Especially on defense. On offense, they do not run and are by no means selfish.

Curtis, never overtly mentions race but everyone infers it from his comments. When you routinely make insensitive comments about poor inner city youths, everyone takes it as a racial comment. If Curtis doesn't want to appear to make "racial" comments he should quit make making the insensitive comments about inner city youths.

Huge boost for Pitt Football. I would rather play Maryland than UConn. Florida State and Miami are better programs than everyone in the Big East. I realize they have been down but they have the potential to be top 10 programs. No Big East team has that potential.

As for basketball, Duke and UNC will always be huge games kind of the way UCONN, Louisville and Syracuse were always a huge games. The new ACC will have 4 big basketball programs. UNC, Duke, Pitt and Syracuse. This may turn out to be a win for Pitt if Jamie Dixon can suddenly start landing top 20 recruits.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
This may turn out to be a win for Pitt if Jamie Dixon can suddenly start landing top 20 recruits.
That's already happening. Khem Birch (Class of 2011) and Steven Adams (2012) are Top 10 national recruits according to Rivals.

It will be good for football but in a way I'm most excited for the Olympic sports. Look for the levels of funding to those sports to really increase including baseball and lacrosse (maybe the administration will give it another look). Pitt just built some new facilities and they'll now be put to good use.

Last edited by Lobick; 09-19-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh