U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM

6,663 posts, read 4,053,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
That's already happening. Khem Birch (Class of 2011) and Steven Adams (2012) are Top 10 national recruits according to Rivals.
Yeah, the Big East still attracts great talent.

Quote:
It will be good for football but in a way I'm most excited for the Olympic sports. Look for the levels of funding to those sports to really increase including baseball and lacrosse (maybe the administration will give it another look). Pitt just built some new facilities and they'll now be put to good use.
I don't see why. The only college sports that matter are football and men's basketball. All the other sports are a financial drain. If college sports were a true business, all of those Olympic sports would be dropped.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM

1,306 posts, read 851,927 times
Both of those players come to Pitt if they're in the Big East or ACC, as long as Jamie Dixon is the coach. Birch is from Canada and Adams is from New Zealand, so I doubt they were pulled in by the lure of the Big East alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't see why. The only college sports that matter are football and men's basketball. All the other sports are a financial drain. If college sports were a true business, all of those Olympic sports would be dropped.
Pitt will now have to compete in the ACC in all sports. They have a much more vibrant league for these non-revenue sports and require their members to fund them at a certain level. The ACC is far less of a cobbled together group than the Big East was.

Pitt will now undoubtedly have to fully fund baseball scholarships to the NCAA limit, both in number and dollar value, something they've never done. For example, Boston College's baseball team has seen its performance and funding increase dramatically since they joined the ACC.

It is precisely the increased TV revenue from basketball and football that will allow Pitt to increase funding for its non-revenue sports.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Pitt will now have to compete in the ACC in all sports. They have a much more vibrant league for these non-revenue sports and require their members to fund them at a certain level. The ACC is far less of a cobbled together group than the Big East was.

Pitt will now undoubtedly have to fully fund baseball scholarships to the NCAA limit, both in number and dollar value, something they've never done. For example, Boston College's baseball team has seen its performance and funding increase dramatically since they joined the ACC.

It is precisely the increased TV revenue from basketball and football that will allow Pitt to increase funding for its non-revenue sports.
Yeah but...nothing to get excited about. As long as the football and men's basketball teams win...I'm happy. The other sports can go 0-whatever for all I care. Baseball and volleyball teams don't win? Don't sweat it Pitt.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah but...nothing to get excited about. As long as the football and men's basketball teams win...I'm happy. The other sports can go 0-whatever for all I care. Baseball and volleyball teams don't win? Don't sweat it Pitt.
Fair enough and to each his own. My only point was that you'll see a much greater difference after the transition in the non-revenue sports than you will in either basketball or football, although the move is clearly good for both of them as well, especially if this further precipitates the break-up of the remaining Big East schools.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Both of those players come to Pitt if they're in the Big East or ACC, as long as Jamie Dixon is the coach. Birch is from Canada and Adams is from New Zealand, so I doubt they were pulled in by the lure of the Big East alone.
Right now, Dixon has got to get past the "choke factor" at the Dance. He's all about defense so he might try and find an assistant coach that knows offense.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Right now, Dixon has got to get past the "choke factor" at the Dance. He's all about defense so he might try and find an assistant coach that knows offense.
Maybe, but they were Top 10 in the country last year in offensive efficiency (and in 2009) so I'm not sure that's a legit critique.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Offensive Efficiency on TeamRankings.com

The NCAA Tournament runs have certainly been disappointing but with any one and done situation, luck and good fortune play a factor. My view is that they just need to keep knocking on the door and it will open eventually, just like it did for Boeheim.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 PM

171 posts, read 155,808 times
The format of the NCAA tourney helps ensure that the best team just doesn't always win. A one game format, win or go home, makes great TV, but isn't the best method for determining the best team.

There are criticisms that are valid regarding Dixon, but he's an exceptional coach, Pitt is lucky to have him, and if he is able to maintain his current talent level he will win in time. It's taken many great coaches a long time to win a championship, Dixon's still young.

I actually think the move to the ACC, and the corresponding minor changes in nuances of the game, may help Pitt to become a team more suited to win in the tourney. Big East has it's own brand of hard nosed physical basketball that doesn't always translate well come tourney time (due to differences in officiating, low and tight scoring games, susceptibility to perimeter runs). Being forced to move to a more offensive tempo oriented game like the ACC is known for, could be a very good thing in that sense.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
gg

11,276 posts, read 7,427,527 times
How can anyone compare Duke Basketball's program to Pitt's? You cannot. Duke is the fourth-winningest men's basketball program of all-time behind Kentucky, Kansas and N.C. Pitt? Ranks 49th.

I realize you are some huge fan of Pitt, but lets get real! Goodness. I am also a fan, but a realist and the proof is in the numbers.

By the way, this ACC move is great! I am very excited to have such great powerhouse teams come here. Wow!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How can anyone compare Duke Basketball's program to Pitt's? You cannot. Duke is the fourth-winningest men's basketball program of all-time behind Kentucky, Kansas and N.C. Pitt? Ranks 49th.

I realize you are some huge fan of Pitt, but lets get real! Goodness. I am also a fan, but a realist and the proof is in the numbers.

By the way, this ACC move is great! I am very excited to have such great powerhouse teams come here. Wow!
Because the comparison is current as in right now
All time wins have nothing to do with it.

Based on your point of view, the Roman legions are far superior to the US Army because they dominated far longer historically. Which one you got in a fight?

And BTW, nobody was making that comparison as to superior programs, so I'm not sure what thread you've read (of course you didn't bother to read it).

Any comparison with Duke was initiated by you. You called Duke "disciplin" (sic) and Pitt "street-ball" as I recall.

Also, instead of arguing with fictitious straw-men, would you care to address the earlier questions raised that you've avoided?

Namely,

1. Please explain to me how recently Duke has been a more disciplined basketball team than Pitt? That is a word that you consistently hear when people are discussing the program under Dixon. For some reason, you think Pitt is a very different style team than they are which makes me suspect that you don't actually watch them much.

2. I'd like to know the last Pitt basketball recruit with a criminal record, since implicit in your comments is that is the type of player Dixon recruits. Maybe though you just associate all inner-city youth with jail and parole officers, I'm not sure.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,047,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Who is comparing Pitt to Duke? People are comparing the Big East to the ACC. Currently, the Big East is the tougher basketball conference overall, despite the fact that the ACC has a couple of juggernauts. The Big East has routinely put more teams than any other conference into the NCAA tournament in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh