Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times

Advertisements

Just because some division is good for a few seasons doesn't all of the sudden make them in the same the history books. Geez, talk about blinded by your own heart. I would love to see Pitt finally win or make it to the final two. Thought they may have a little chance with Blair, but not to be. They make the tournament and don't get far. Just the way it has been.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just because some division is good for a few seasons doesn't all of the sudden make them in the same the history books. Geez, talk about blinded by your own heart. I would love to see Pitt finally win or make it to the final two. Thought they may have a little chance with Blair, but not to be. They make the tournament and don't get far. Just the way it has been.
At least we're now admitting that the Big East has been better than the ACC for the last couple of seasons. I'm glad that you agree with Jay Bilas and Coach K.

It's important to note that not once was anybody arguing about the historical standing of the two conferences. It is only you who are unable to differentiate the past from the present; a malady, I might add, that extends far beyond this basketball discussion.

Last edited by Lobick; 09-19-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Appearances:
Big East Teams: 358 (average 22.4 per school)
ACC Teams: 233 (average 19.4 per school)

NCAA Men's Basketball Championships won:
Big East: 11
ACC Teams: 12

The conferences are roughly equal, even historically. I'd give the edge to the Big East because tournament appearances are indicative of a strong conference, while championships are just indicative of a strong team. And as has been pointed out, recent history has also pointed to the Big East being the strongest college basketball conference.

Sources:
Atlantic Coast Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big East Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) NCAA Basketball Teams (Men). Compare, reviews & ratings.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,729 times
I'm with Bilas. The last 5 years, the Big East is a superior basketball league to the ACC, without question ... and to every other league in the nation, for that matter.

While I'm excited about Carolina and Dook (yes, Dook) coming to the Pete, I'll miss Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, and UConn ... unless, of course, UConn ends up in the ACC, which may very well happen.

But again, this move had nothing to do with basketball.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM

I'm mostly curious whether or not the Backyard Brawl will still happen. It's just about the only time I'll bother to watch Pitt football.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
gg

Last 7 years 3 championships by ACC and only 1 by the Big East. Keep trying to convince yourselves.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Last 7 years 3 championships by ACC and only 1 by the Big East. Keep trying to convince yourselves.
So now it's okay to cite recent history?

Championships "by" a conference only mean that they had one juggernaut team. Tournament berths are a better indicator of how strong a conference is, and the Big East has consistently been tops in that stat.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
So now it's okay to cite recent history?
Well, just showing how bias people can be. I don't LOVE the Big East, nor do I love the ACC. I have just been more impressed with the ACC over the history of either conference. It isn't the end of the world either way. My biggest point is, I am very pleased that Pitt will move to the ACC, hopefully! It is a positive IMHO! Do you hear me? A positive!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,441 times
Pitt had to do what it did to survive. The Big Least is spiraling downward and Mega Conferences are the new norm. Syracuse and UConn will also likely also join the ACC, so the Big East will become even more watered down.

In the end, the Big East will probably join the remnants of the Big 12, or vice versa. Its all about money (primarily driven by football and TV deals for football). In the end, this will be seen as a smart move by Pitt. It was either make the move or be left looking for scraps in the end.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Its all about money...
How true and much of it is just to pay huge coaching salaries, travel and whatever. Just big business. It is amazing colleges that are more into education can survive in such an environment, but places like CMU seem to do pretty well without the hyped up sports crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh