Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM

173 posts, read 308,480 times

Advertisements

Rumors are suggesting that Notre Dame and Penn State are considering a jump to the ACC. Apparently ND prefers the ACC to the Big Ten should it be forced to join a conference in football, and PSU has always wanted an east coast super league.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
Rumors are suggesting that Notre Dame and Penn State are considering a jump to the ACC. Apparently ND prefers the ACC to the Big Ten should it be forced to join a conference in football, and PSU has always wanted an east coast super league.
Goodness, ND would certainly be a cellar dweller in the ACC. They stink and are overrated every year, just like their football team. The fans do spend money on them hence the overrating.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Well, just showing how bias people can be. I don't LOVE the Big East, nor do I love the ACC. I have just been more impressed with the ACC over the history of either conference. It isn't the end of the world either way. My biggest point is, I am very pleased that Pitt will move to the ACC, hopefully! It is a positive IMHO! Do you hear me? A positive!
If all you were trying to do was be positive about the move to the ACC why didn't you say that? Instead, your initial comment was this:

I just don't see Pitt's street ball inner city style fitting in with the ACC conference. I mean the Big East just seem like a bunch of ball players that just rolled out of jail and then you have the ACC where the kids seem so much more professional. I hope they get into the ACC and they start recruiting more like Duke. That would be so much better.

You disparaged Pitt, their players and used racially-encoded language.

You've repeatedly refused to address the two statements that you made concerning the program, namely:
1. Please explain to me how recently Duke has been a more disciplined basketball team than Pitt? That is a word that you consistently hear when people are discussing the program under Dixon. For some reason, you think Pitt is a very different style team than they are which makes me suspect that you don't actually watch them much.

2. I'd like to know the last Pitt basketball recruit with a criminal record, since implicit in your comments is that is the type of player Dixon recruits. Maybe though you just associate all inner-city youth with jail and parole officers, I'm not sure.

But you throw around accusations of bias and wonder how anyone could have taken your comments as malicious? It truly boggles the mind.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
1. Please explain to me how recently Duke has been a more disciplined basketball team than Pitt? That is a word that you consistently hear when people are discussing the program under Dixon. For some reason, you think Pitt is a very different style team than they are which makes me suspect that you don't actually watch them much.

This takes great discipline: Duke has won four NCAA championships (fifth all-time) and appeared in 10 Championship Games (second all-time) and 15 Final Fours (third all-time), and has an NCAA-best .750 NCAA tournament winning percentage. I don't think you should badmouth such a program. Pitt has won what?

As far as crime goes there is some percentage that have records. I was a little off by that, because it was football that has about 8% of the players with criminal records and basketball was quite a bit better. So, I will concede since I couldn't find hard facts by a quick search.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,910,128 times
Duke is not the ACC; Duke is in the ACC.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Pitt had to do what it did to survive. The Big Least is spiraling downward and Mega Conferences are the new norm. Syracuse and UConn will also likely also join the ACC, so the Big East will become even more watered down.

In the end, the Big East will probably join the remnants of the Big 12, or vice versa. Its all about money (primarily driven by football and TV deals for football). In the end, this will be seen as a smart move by Pitt. It was either make the move or be left looking for scraps in the end.
Good points.

I believe the the commish (John Marinatto) has to bear a lot of responsibility here. Standing pat on 9 football-playing schools is not proactive enough in today's environment. Everybody wants a bigger TV payout, but the BE wasn't going to get it unless they took steps to make the league more attractive to the networks. Adding TCU was a good first step, but again, that ultimately was not enough. So PITT and the Cuse did what they had to do.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,774,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Good points.

I believe the the commish (John Marinatto) has to bear a lot of responsibility here. Standing pat on 9 football-playing schools is not proactive enough in today's environment. Everybody wants a bigger TV payout, but the BE wasn't going to get it unless they took steps to make the league more attractive to the networks. Adding TCU was a good first step, but again, that ultimately was not enough. So PITT and the Cuse did what they had to do.
Marinatto's problem was that he was trying to serve two masters. What was in the best interest of Pitt and the other football schools, wasn't in the best interest of Providence and company. The only difference between Providence, and other has beens like Duquesne and St. Bonaventure, was the Big East propping them up. Pitt doesn't belong in a conference with such schools, and I'm glad they're getting out. PC can play the Dukes at Palumbo, and reminisce about games they played at the Arena 40 years ago when both were big time programs. Time moves on, otherwise Pitt might be playing Fordham at Heinz Field this fall.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

173 posts, read 308,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness, ND would certainly be a cellar dweller in the ACC. They stink and are overrated every year, just like their football team. The fans do spend money on them hence the overrating.
They'd have trouble in basketball, but I don't think they'd be a cellar dweller. In football, they'd certainly be a top tier team in the conference. They've been historically under-performing of late, but they still compete at a higher level than most of the dreg the ACC runs around in football. They'd be right at home in Lacrosse, women's basketball and other sports.

Consider Pitt, I think they're a top 6 football program in the ACC, ND is clearly ahead of Pitt. A very thoughtless ranking:

Virginia Tech
Miami
Florida State
Pitt
Boston College
Clemson
Maryland
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Virginia
Wake Forest
Duke

Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM

6,294 posts, read 10,998,935 times
UConn football media with Paul Pasqualoni in advance of Buffalo - Courant.com

The Pitt and Penn State and Syracuse rivalries are mentioned in this article.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
They'd have trouble in basketball, but I don't think they'd be a cellar dweller. In football, they'd certainly be a top tier team in the conference. They've been historically under-performing of late, but they still compete at a higher level than most of the dreg the ACC runs around in football. They'd be right at home in Lacrosse, women's basketball and other sports.

Consider Pitt, I think they're a top 6 football program in the ACC, ND is clearly ahead of Pitt. A very thoughtless ranking:

Virginia Tech
Miami
Florida State
Pitt
Boston College
Clemson
Maryland
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Virginia
Wake Forest
Duke
ND is out. They made their bed being an independent and not joining the Big East in Football. They have been a crap team for years in all sports except women's basketball. They also are out. I suspect they are going to get into some new conference that will have a bunch of catholic schools in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh