Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:08 PM

264 posts, read 489,812 times

Advertisements

Anyone who wants to argue discipline and just-out-of-jail mentality need only to follow members of the Pitt men's basketball team on Twitter. I'm a HUGE Pitt fan, and much more so basketball than football, but it's a shame that Dixon allows those players to use that website and talk the way they do on there. It's kind of embarrassing really, as they're representing my alma mater; I surely didn't learn to speak that way in any of my classes there.

Like I said, huge Pitt fan, but there's a reason people like Curtis make the assumptions that they do. Coach K certainly runs a tighter ship down there, and who's to say the little things like learning how to carry yourself like a gentleman on and off the court aren't what's holding Pitt back from taking that next step? Dixon is a GREAT coach, but I've definitely questioned his discipline at various times during his tenure here.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
ND is out. They made their bed being an independent and not joining the Big East in Football. They have been a crap team for years in all sports except women's basketball. They also are out. I suspect they are going to get into some new conference that will have a bunch of catholic schools in it.
Curtis lay off the sauce.

Any conference will take Notre Dame if Notre Dame expresses an interest.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
The ACC athletic director was just quoted saying they would like to add Notre Dame. Any conference would, for financial reasons if no other.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
Anyone who wants to argue discipline and just-out-of-jail mentality need only to follow members of the Pitt men's basketball team on Twitter. I'm a HUGE Pitt fan, and much more so basketball than football, but it's a shame that Dixon allows those players to use that website and talk the way they do on there. It's kind of embarrassing really, as they're representing my alma mater; I surely didn't learn to speak that way in any of my classes there.
My suspicion is that this says much more about you and your take on Twitter. You're honestly criticizing the grammar and writing of Pitt basketball players on Twitter. I think you should just stop following them, it's pretty clear you can't handle the technology or the kids.

Quote:
Like I said, huge Pitt fan, but there's a reason people like Curtis make the assumptions that they do. Coach K certainly runs a tighter ship down there, and who's to say the little things like learning how to carry yourself like a gentleman on and off the court aren't what's holding Pitt back from taking that next step? Dixon is a GREAT coach, but I've definitely questioned his discipline at various times during his tenure here.
Using that same logical construction, who's to say that it's not the lack of the Pitt script or the brand of peanut butter that the team eats at the training table or that they're not ritually bled before games with leeches that is holding this team back from taking the next step.. I mean, who's to say?

Christian Laettner, Duke's poster child wasn't a gentleman on the court. Remember him stomping Aminu Timerlake's chest from UK? Should have been ejected.

Bottom line is that these criticisms are ridiculous.

Last edited by Lobick; 09-20-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM

173 posts, read 308,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post

They would because they have a good fan base, but they still stink. They are nothing like they used to be. Totally overrated team and their basketball team is way overrated as well.

ND for the past 10 years:

W L
5-6
10-3
5-7
6-6
9-3
10-3
3-9
7-6
6-6
8-5

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:

Well said. They are getting a free education. How about show some respect to the University. It is sad indeed!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Well said. They are getting a free education. How about show some respect to the University. It is sad indeed!
Curtis, you follow Pitt players on Twitter?

What are they saying that's disrespectful? You have no idea do you?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Once Pitt gets into the ACC, maybe their style of basketball, throw it into the paint and thug your way to the basket will change, and I would love to see Duke at the Pete.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM

173 posts, read 308,558 times
You guys should read a few of the introspective articles on how the 'free' education that universities offer many of these kids result in them becoming impoverished during their time there. The majority of kids actually live below the poverty line while attending because their families can't afford to cover the costs of living the school doesn't. The average amount of uncovered via scholarship expenses incurred due to attending school is over $3200 a year, which to me is very little, but to an 18 year old kid so wrapped up in trying to earn a spot on the team with little to no time to study, let alone work .... it's a mountain.

That doesn't even get into plane flights home should a family member become ill, etc. Everyone thinks these kids have it made, they really don't. I have two siblings who compete D1 athletics ... let's just say they're lucky my parents have the money to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh