Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,537 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spent several hours today exploring Dormont and Mt. Lebanon and really liked what we saw - however, one thing we noticed that was missing was a nice, big grocery store that was easy to walk to. We are not going to have a car, and would love to be able to walk and buy groceries! Is there anywhere near that area we could go? If not, are there any suburbs that have grocery stores residents can walk to? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker383 View Post
If not, are there any suburbs that have grocery stores residents can walk to? Thanks!
If you like Dormont and Mt Lebanon, you might like Aspinwall, which is within walking distance of the big grocery store in the Waterworks Mall.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I've never thought about it, but where do people in Mt. Lebanon grocery shop? The Market District at South Hills Village? I guess there's also the Kuhn's on Banksville and the Giant Eagle on Cochran. It seems like a pretty big burb with no grocery.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 PM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Walking to a store in Lebo (which I believe has been addressed here before) is somewhat difficult. Dormont has the Kuhn's Market on Banksville Rd. Granted, it is a bit of a climb to the residential areas of Dormont with bags of groceries, and it may not be as convenient if you live on the left side (heading south) of West Liberty Avenue. Also, the folks who run Peoples Market on Penn Ave in Friendship/Garfield have recently opened up a small grocery/convenience store on Potomac Avenue (taking over from the short-lived Dormont Fresh Market). In addition, an IGA has just reopened in Beechview -- which would be convenient to stop off at on your way home (if you work downtown and ride the trolley). Finally, Brookline, a 20 minute walk (more or less) from Dormont has Pitaland (mostly Middle Eastern) and Las Palmas (emphasis on Mexican items). Oh yea, there's also an Aldi on McNeilly Rd -- technically in Baldwin. Definitely a short bike ride, but probably a 20 minute walk, from most of Dormont.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never thought about it, but where do people in Mt. Lebanon grocery shop? The Market District at South Hills Village?
That's what I hear people from that area talk about.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've never thought about it, but where do people in Mt. Lebanon grocery shop?
In the year I lived there, I did 60% of my shopping in the Strip, 40% at John McGinnis. We got TP and other dry goods at the Shop N Save on Castle Shannon Blvd once a month or so.

I can't speak for the Mt. Lebanese as a whole, but the weekly Strip-Trip was an absolute necessity - we'd have died of boredom otherwise.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
I guess there are high rises near Cochran and Greentree Roads in Mt. Lebo that might be walkable to Giant Eagle, but even from there, I wouldn't want to walk it as those roads are pretty fast. And climbing up the mountain to the Shop n Save on the Shannon side of Mt. Lebanon isn't that practical or enjoyable.

For a walkable suburb to the supermarket, take a look at Crafton and Ingram.

Big Giant Eagle and Save a Lot in the shopping center down there.

Crafton has the busway for easy access to town, and a lot of nice streets and homes throughout the area.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM

16 posts, read 28,263 times
I grew up in Brookline and I am amazed at how few grocery stores are left in this area. Other than Aldi which recently opened on McNeilly Road, the only grocery store available to Brookline-Beechview-Dormont residents (about 35,000 residents) is Kuhns which is overcrowded. If I had the money, I'd open a new store on the McDonalds site at West Liberty and Brookline Blvd.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
There used to be a very small grocery store on Potomac (?, the same street as The Hollywood Theater.) It's no longer there. I think it was called Spar's or something like that.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM

165 posts, read 262,537 times
I grew up in Brookline and I remember shopping at the Foodland in Carrick and the Giant Eagle in Caste Village. Neither is walkable, obviously, but not terrible car rides either.

Now I live in Mt. Lebanon I do about 80% of my shopping at Aldi's. The rest of the time it's short trips to the Giant Eagle on Cochran or the Shop n' Save on Castle Shannon Blvd. I do that the T on a daily basis and will stop off at the new IGA one of these days, plus I'm really looking forward to Trader Joe's opening. I love TJ's, but driving to East Liberty isn't always the most convienent thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh