U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,616,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Now people need to step up and demand a solution, I don't really see that happening.
So the push things to the verge of collapse theory isn't working. Time to avoid the collapse, then, despite not getting every reform that would be ideal.

Quote:
Well, for the record, Corbett isn't my guy either, and I never took any ownership of Rendell.
So there you go. For me this isn't about keep scoring and deciding which politician is a better all-around official, it is about putting pressure on the guy currently in office to do what is best for the state and our region.

Quote:
Indeed, people are going to have to get organized, and take advantage of this perfectly good crisis. If they don't, then forget blaming PAT or Corbett, it will be their fault that they sat on their hands and did nothing. You simply can't expect politicians to make the difficult decisions without major support.
There are in fact people organizing in favor of a transportation bill, including stakeholders of all sorts. But I agree that everyone who cares about this issue should at least making their feelings known to their own elected officials.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM

763 posts, read 515,584 times
The politicians in Harrisburg do not appear to give a damn about mass transit in Pennsylvania's major cities. Their constituents in rural Pennsylvania don't like their tax dollars going to fund public transportation...because their theory is they are not benefitting from it.

This is untrue. People in places like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Harrisburg work, and the state is getting millions from them via the income tax. That tax money in turn goes to projects and assists folks all over Pennsylvania.

Since I am considering a move to Pittsburgh in the future, more cuts to PAT really concerns me.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM

254 posts, read 380,814 times
I know that nobody likes new taxes, but is there a way for a new local tax to be imposed to fund PAT, if the state doesn't come through? If there is a choice of no public transit or a new tax, maybe voters in Pittsburgh and surrounding counties would approve it. I am not from the area so I have no idea if such a tax would be at the county level, or whether there can be a voter referendum. I'd be curious if anyone here knows how it works. I too am considering a move to Pittsburgh and this crisis concerns me as well.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 1,977,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
I know that nobody likes new taxes, but is there a way for a new local tax to be imposed to fund PAT, if the state doesn't come through?
Certainly it's possible. All that is necessary is for the County Council and Executive to agree on, let's say, a 7% surcharge on all poured drinks?

There are political realities and exigencies which make new revenue a difficult sell, whether in Allegheny Co or the state as a whole, naturally. But local funding isn't really the issue. The state, as a whole, needs a coherent and coordinated transportation policy, including dedicated revenue - that is the great matter, the big question, the crying need. Anything less is tinkering around the edges.

Unfortunately, the present configuration of politics in Pennsylvania make it very unlikely we'll see such a thing. This is not really a matter of partisan preference - the GOP has produced leaders capable of thinking seriously and broadly about transportation. But don't hold your breath now.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:27 PM

4,444 posts, read 3,141,948 times
What's going to happen when it comes to the point where people cannot go to their jobs because of PAT? That could cause the entire city to collapse.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 PM

199 posts, read 140,037 times
I would hate to see any increases in taxes until PAT gets it act together.

I'm all for spending money on mass transit, but the port authority is probably one of the worst run, most bloated, transit authorities in the country.

I wish they would just blow it up and start over.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
What's going to happen when it comes to the point where people cannot go to their jobs because of PAT? That could cause the entire city to collapse.
I've been asking that question myself - it's one thing for commuters to Oakland or Downtown who have alternatives, no matter how awful it might be to increase the number of cars trying to squeeze into limited parking. But what about the maintenance people who keep those commuters' office buildings running? Or the retail and service people who sell them their newspaper and their lunch? Will they all get to work by jitney, or sharing a ride, or walking? I guess we're about to find out.

Actually, it's come to the point where that's now my best hope - if enough influential business, legal, medicine and education leaders discover that their wastebaskets are overflowing and the executive washrooms haven't been cleaned, maybe then Harrisburg will begin to feel the heat.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
I wish they would just blow it up and start over.
I think you're in good company. I think quite a few people wish they could just scrap PAT and start over. Unfortunately, that's tantamount to wishing for a revolution, because unless the entire legal-political-financial order is overturned in the United States, PAT's obligations cannot be abjured. Something tells me the present governor isn't quite ready to proclaim a People's Republic.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM

199 posts, read 140,037 times
I know a lot of people would disagree, but I would say, until PAT gets its house in order they just have to raise the fairs. I'm of the opinion that those who use it should pay for it.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
I'm of the opinion that those who use it should pay for it.
I'm glad to hear you're in favor of a toll on all commuter routes, the 376, 279, the 28 and 22/30, as well as a congestion charge for driving within the city limits and a $300 annual automobile registration fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh