Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

28 was built as an expressway from Pittsburgh out to Kittanning and from there it turns into a 2-lane up to Brookville. They even built an expressway bridge over the Allegheny next to Kittanning. It's been driving me nuts that it should be completed as an expressway up to Brookville and connect to I-80. I mean, it's only another 42 miles which coincidentally is the same distance from Pittsburgh to Kittanning. So, it's only half-way built.

An expressway there would be a help to the economically depressed Allegheny Valley and improve Pittsburgh's connections to the northeast, i.e. New York. Places like Kittanning and especially Ford City are sort of dead-in-the-water. Ford City especially was hit hard when the PPG plant closed years ago (at one time the world's largest glass-making factory) and the Eljer plant closed years later. The plant closings opened up access to the river but the town needs an industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
28 was built as an expressway from Pittsburgh out to Kittanning and from there it turns into a 2-lane up to Brookville. They even built an expressway bridge over the Allegheny next to Kittanning. It's been driving me nuts that it should be completed as an expressway up to Brookville and connect to I-80. I mean, it's only another 42 miles which coincidentally is the same distance from Pittsburgh to Kittanning. So, it's only half-way built.

An expressway there would be a help to the economically depressed Allegheny Valley and improve Pittsburgh's connections to the northeast, i.e. New York. Places like Kittanning and especially Ford City are sort of dead-in-the-water. Ford City especially was hit hard when the PPG plant closed years ago (at one time the world's largest glass-making factory) and the Eljer plant closed years later. The plant closings opened up access to the river but the town needs an industry.
I read a few years ago that this is still was officially on the planning list of PENNDOT. Don't think it will ever happen, but apparently it was still alive as of around five years ago.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I don't think there's enough traffic on PA 28 between Kittanning and Brookville to justify upgrading it to a limited-access highway, but I do think that it should eventually be upgraded to a four-lane arterial road like U.S. 22 is between Monroeville and Altoona. Upgrading I-376 should be the absolute top priority for road improvements in western Pennsylvania, but there are other ideas that I have. I'll present a list of regional proposals when I get around to completing it.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
This has been discussed, but the terrain is pretty nasty up through there. Many improvements to that stretch of 28 has been made (passing lanes, widening, ect), but the cost of a super highway would be astronomical.

I doubt the cost will ever be justified.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5608,5546202

Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
This has been discussed, but the terrain is pretty nasty up through there. Many improvements to that stretch of 28 has been made (passing lanes, widening, ect), but the cost of a super highway would be astronomical.

I doubt the cost will ever be justified.

The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search
Thanks. Pretty much confirms what I suspected. That was dated in 1986 and it doesn't look like it will be going forward. Even in its heyday, the Allegheny Valley was not very rich and things have gotten worse. The Mon-Fay was justified to help the Mon Valley. I really think they should think about the Allegheny valley too.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a northeast expressway leading out. Just seems like an important direction that is missing.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
When I go back "home" to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area I often take Route 28 northeastwards all the way to I-80 East. While I agree it would be nice to have a limited access highway linking Pittsburgh in a roughly straight notheastward shot to I-80 I also don't believe there's enough justification considering the astronomical cost.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I think commuter rail on the AVRR would do more to help that area, and on a much more cost-effective basis.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
yeah, i take that route all the time to visit my family in connecticut; i've driven it at all hours and i have never hit traffic on that stretch of road - just the occasional slow truck. you can go 55 for almost the whole way. the road that is there is fine for the traffic that uses it, and i can't see there being an increase in traffic or development that would be worth the cost of putting a real highway up there. logistically it would be a nightmare putting even a 4 lane highway along that route.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 PM

But I see it as companies and businesses preferring access to expressways. So I see the present 2-lane stretch of 28 as being a deterrent to traffic and businesses locating in the Allegheny Valley. So to me, making it a full expressway, would be as an economic engine, not something to address an overburdened road. As it is, Pittsburgh doesn't have an expressway connection to the northeast and assurances that the 2-lane stretch of 28 can handle trucking etc won't cut it. A glance at a map would make a company look for a place with a better transportation system.

Atlanta's transportation network

Google Maps

Goes in all directions

But Pittsburgh's connections going west are ok, but east in particular the northeast is lacking.

Google Maps

There aren't even good expressway connections to the airport

Google Maps

While Atlanta has its Perimeter I-285 going right by it.

Google Maps

Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think commuter rail on the AVRR would do more to help that area, and on a much more cost-effective basis.
Not if companies are interested in shipping. Commuter rail just moves people, and even then it doesn't have the flexibility of getting from point A to point B that cars do. Roads are conducive to economic growth. Commuter rail is more to do with dealing with growth. Kittanning and Ford City are not begging for commuter rail. They need better expressway connections.

Or to describe their situation visually

butler pa - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh