U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 39,773 times

Advertisements

I know it may be hard to figure, but if you had to guess, what would you anticipate in terms of the monthly gas & electric bills for the following?

1 BD. APT. (WITH 1 TENANT). APT. IS 450 SQ. FT. In a house built in the 1940s - not sure how well it's really insulated.

ELECTRIC:
no a/c of any sort
1 small, old TV
1 laptop computer used about 4 hrs./day
1 electric blanket
1 microwave
minimal other items such as tiny electric alarm clock
energy-saver lightbulbs/CFLs throughout apt.
no washer or dryer
no dishwasher

GAS:
gas stovetop & oven (minimal use)
gas heat kept at 62 degrees
gas hot water heater
no washer or dryer
no dishwasher
apt. has wall to wall carpeting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,802,082 times
Hard to guess when you don't say where you're going to live. Different utility companies have varying rates.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Oh, sorry, it's in Pittsburgh - Highland Park to be exact.

The utility companies are Duquesne Light & Equitable Gas. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,329,197 times
Hi, Gracie. I am the sole occupant of a 1br, 600ft2 apartment in Pittsburgh. Duquesne Light and Equitable Gas are my electric and gas suppliers. There is a small forced air furnace on my floor that provides heat only to my unit. The apartment is located on the top floor in three story building that I believe was built in the 1860s or 1870s.

Here's a chart of my gas bill over the course of one year. The apartment has two exterior walls, both of which have windows from corner to corner. I do get a lot of afternoon sunlight through the windows, which provides a fair amount of heat. Also, I'm located on the top floor of a three story building, which has no attic. I typically set the thermostat at 68-70 when I'm home and awake, and 62-66 when I'm away or sleeping.

I should add that from talking to others, my gas usage is relatively low. I think this is mainly due to the amount of radiant sunlight heating that I get in the winter and the fact that there is very little duct work between the furnace and registers. So in your estimates you may wish to bias your numbers to the high end to get a more conservative result.

Here's a chart of my electric bill over the course of one year. In the summer I have a window AC that I run intermittently. My other main loads are a television, cable box, computer, and a refrigerator. There are various other electrical appliances that contribute a small amount to the overall load.

This last chart is my total gas and electric bills per square foot of living space. You can use this to help interpolate what a bill for your smaller apartment may be, though there are many other sources of considerable variance (window direction, insulation, furnace efficiency, etc.). It would be at best a ball park estimate.

Last edited by ML North; 09-27-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 3,117,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Hi, Gracie. I am the sole occupant of a 1br, 600ft2 apartment in Pittsburgh. Duquesne Light and Equitable Gas are my electric and gas suppliers. There is a small forced air furnace on my floor that provides heat only to my unit. The apartment is located on the top floor in three story building that I believe was built in the 1860s or 1870s.

Here's a chart of my gas bill over the course of one year. The apartment has two exterior walls, both of which have windows from corner to corner. I do get a lot of afternoon sunlight through the windows, which provides a fair amount of heat. Also, I'm located on the top floor of a three story building, which has no attic. I typically set the thermostat at 68-70 when I'm home and awake, and 62-66 when I'm away or sleeping.

I should add that from talking to others, my gas usage is relatively low. I think this is mainly due to the amount of radiant sunlight heating that I get in the winter and the fact that there is very little duct work between the furnace and registers. So in your estimates you may wish to bias your numbers to the high end to get a more conservative result.

Here's a chart of my electric bill over the course of one year. In the summer I have a window AC that I run intermittently. My other main loads are a television, cable box, computer, and a refrigerator. There are various other electrical appliances that contribute a small amount to the overall load.

This last chart is my total gas and electric bills per square foot of living space. You can use this to help interpolate what a bill for your smaller apartment may be, though there are many other sources of considerable variance (window direction, insulation, furnace efficiency, etc.). It would be at best a ball park estimate.
You may not be aware of it but you are able to change electrical suppliers. I did this recently. I went with Dominion Energy Solutions which was cheaper than Duquese Light or First Energy. No one can beat Equitable right now.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
You may not be aware of it but you are able to change electrical suppliers. I did this recently. I went with Dominion Energy Solutions which was cheaper than Duquese Light or First Energy. No one can beat Equitable right now.
Yep, this is good advice. I actually have access to an employee discount program through a partnership between my employer and First Energy, but I've been dragging my feet on completing the paperwork, stupidly.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post

Very impressive, and this does give me a good idea of what the bills should be. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Oh, really?! The landlord told me there was only 1 gas company and 1 electric company available to service the apt. He also wanted to keep the bills in his name only and have me reimburse him in full for the bills.

My landlord problems notwithstanding, I didn't know that you could kind of shop around for utility companies. Will be good to know down the road.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 PM

4,733 posts, read 3,118,871 times
I was able to call the utility company before renting an apartment and find out what the budget amount is for a particular unit. The budget amount is the average bill for the apartment over a course of a full year.

I guess people can still do it, no?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie24 View Post
Oh, really?! The landlord told me there was only 1 gas company and 1 electric company available to service the apt. He also wanted to keep the bills in his name only and have me reimburse him in full for the bills.

My landlord problems notwithstanding, I didn't know that you could kind of shop around for utility companies. Will be good to know down the road.
This may be pretty much true in your area. I think you're stuck with Duquesne Light for at least the energy transmission, and thats the biggest part of the cost. You might be able to pick a better electricity generation company but it won't make much difference. I have a one bedroom but no microwave and no color TV- I pay $20/month. You're going to use a bit more- maybe $25.00.
Can't advise on gas heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh