U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
gg

11,669 posts, read 8,009,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
It will be too cold to have the roof open that time of year.
Wrong. You have no vision and no idea what you are talking about. As someone who has lived here for a very long time, I know there are plenty of days throughout the winter that are perfect to open it up for games. They would just do it like the concerts were. We will open the Arena weather permitting. Awesome. Of course they could time those times with the Pen's games being a nationally televised game.

Ah, what could have been if the yinzers weren't in control. We need more innovative thinking like the architectural firm that was trying to save it. Just like anything unique, people hate it and don't understand it, so they build some basic POS like every other city. Guess we can say we at least had something very special.

Also, for those that say, "duh bring back the grid, dah." Here are some thoughts for you.

1. Get rid of the parking lots and build a parking garage.
2. There are huge sidewalks on both sides of the Arena. Who cares if you have to walk on block out of your way? Can people that say that, be any more of a yinzer type? I mean, wow! People that say that are not going to walk down that hill anyway. They are going to drive their pickup truck into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The Arena was here for 50 years. Where was the "world attention"?
Not a bad agrument, but you are forgetting one thing. The history of this fine city.

1. Most of the time the Arena was here, Pittsburgh was a soot filled mess that no one in the world would want to visit.
2. Now that the place is cleaned up and Obama has helped us, having the G-20 and even an ENVIRONMENTAL summit here. Yes, an environmental summit, I kid you not! We now have an arena that doesn't open and is being torn down. Therefore, we will never really get to enjoy having Pittsburgh getting all this attention and an arena that opens like no other with a stunning view of a clean city. When the Arena was in real use, the city was a smoke filled dump.

Good try. Next!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
A sporting venue can be aesthetically pleasing AND a revenue generator at the same time. Ever been to a little place called PNC Park? As a matter of fact, the aesthetics of that place are HUGE factor driving the attendance there over this last decade. The Pirates likely wouldn't have made HALF of the revenue they made with Three Rivers or an equally dull replacement.

CEC has ONE interesting side to it, the glass facade facing the corner of Washington Place and Fifth Ave. Otherwise, it's a silver and tan box with a handful of other windows poking out. Let's hope the Penguins franchise can stay competitive so they can keep filling that box.
Please don't try and compare PNC Park with the crap consol center. It is nothing special at all. PNC Park is very nice with a great view while you are watching the Pirates lose. Heinz Field is a crap place though. So we have one good place and two that are boring old buildings that are nothing memorable at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not a bad agrument, but you are forgetting one thing. The history of this fine city.

1. Most of the time the Arena was here, Pittsburgh was a soot filled mess that no one in the world would want to visit.
2. Now that the place is cleaned up and Obama has helped us, having the G-20 and even an ENVIRONMENTAL summit here. Yes, an environmental summit, I kid you not! We now have an arena that doesn't open and is being torn down. Therefore, we will never really get to enjoy having Pittsburgh getting all this attention and an arena that opens like no other with a stunning view of a clean city. When the Arena was in real use, the city was a smoke filled dump.

Good try. Next!
I agree that the city is now getting a lot of attention, which is why we need to bulldoze ugly, 50 year old buildings like the arena that don't serve a purpose and replace them with shiny, new, and modern structures.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Any longed for reconnection of the Hill with Downtown won't happen. I-579 will be a psychological barrier. I've seen it in Atlanta as I-75 cuts the city in two.
No kidding. I get a kick out of all these people thinking all those lazy people are just going to walk down that hill into the city. Too funny. Looks great on paper, until you actually walk it. I see people that get in the car to drive across parking lots to get from one store to another. Most people wouldn't think of walking that far. Sure there are some of us that do, but not many.

That parking lot is going to be a bust, unless there is some sort of transportation in place to get into the city.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree that the city is now getting a lot of attention, which is why we need to bulldoze ugly, 50 year old buildings like the arena that don't serve a purpose and replace them with shiny, new, and modern structures.
Well we could go real modern in the city as you suggest. Start taking down any building that needs some repairs. How about first on the list is that loading doc in the Strip that cuts the entire Strip District from the river? That should go. We do need to take more stuff down. I think USX tower looks dated. I mean that design is old school. What about the Smithfield Street Bridge? That is too narrow for 4 lanes, therefore it needs replace with something more like the Veteran's Bridge.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,119,890 times
Quote:
Wrong. You have no vision and no idea what you are talking about. As someone who has lived here for a very long time, I know there are plenty of days throughout the winter that are perfect to open it up for games. They would just do it like the concerts were. We will open the Arena weather permitting. Awesome. Of course they could time those times with the Pen's games being a nationally televised game.

Ah, what could have been if the yinzers weren't in control. We need more innovative thinking like the architectural firm that was trying to save it. Just like anything unique, people hate it and don't understand it, so they build some basic POS like every other city. Guess we can say we at least had something very special.

Also, for those that say, "duh bring back the grid, dah." Here are some thoughts for you.

1. Get rid of the parking lots and build a parking garage.
2. There are huge sidewalks on both sides of the Arena. Who cares if you have to walk on block out of your way? Can people that say that, be any more of a yinzer type? I mean, wow! People that say that are not going to walk down that hill anyway. They are going to drive their pickup truck into the city.
Curtis, I've lived here all my life. The winters here are bad. I know exactly what I am talking about. You are talikng to me like I'm new to the city (38 years! )

If the games were nationally televised, no one is going to care if teh roof is open. And if they knew the roof was open, I'm sure people will be glad to be sitting in a warm living room with a roof over their head.

As far as you saying the Yinzers want it this way, no they don't. They want to keep the arena just like you do. I don't think you have grasped the idea of what a Yinzer is. they are the ones who are trying to hold on to the useless past and don't believe in progress.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,919,845 times
Quote:
Well we could go real modern in the city as you suggest. Start taking down any building that needs some repairs. How about first on the list is that loading doc in the Strip that cuts the entire Strip District from the river? That should go. We do need to take more stuff down. I think USX tower looks dated. I mean that design is old school. What about the Smithfield Street Bridge? That is too narrow for 4 lanes, therefore it needs replace with something more like the Veteran's Bridge.
No thanks. Let's save those for later. Let's start with an Arena which takes up prime real estate downtown and serves no practical use. We should absolutely put a plan together to do the things that you said, though. USX serves a purpose now, and the loading dock in the strip is not central real estate. The arena is sitting empty and useless.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,119,890 times
Quote:
No kidding. I get a kick out of all these people thinking all those lazy people are just going to walk down that hill into the city.
Are you saying that the people who live in the Hill are lazy?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

1,361 posts, read 919,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Are you saying that the people who live in the Hill are lazy?
Of course he is. Honestly, he'll hit all of the coded racist stereotype language without actually being overtly racist and then protest that he doesn't know what you're talking about when called on it.

See his history of responses in the Pitt Basketball thread and the East Liberty revitalization threads that he's ruined in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh