U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,305,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There are numerous examples of present day grateful citizens that past generations built architecturally pretty buildings. Might as well do it right otherwise future generations will eventually destroy the eyesore.
That tends to happen with stadiums, arenas, and so forth anyway, due to obsolence and the difficulty of repurposing them.

Frankly, I am not a fan of subsidizing them in the first place, and I think misplaced vanity plays too much of a role in such considerations.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM

10,754 posts, read 6,703,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Of course he is. Honestly, he'll hit all of the coded racist stereotype language without actually being overtly racist and then protest that he doesn't know what you're talking about when called on it.

See his history of responses in the Pitt Basketball thread and the East Liberty revitalization threads that he's ruined in the past.
How childish. How about looking in the mirror there buddy. If you interpret things as you say you do, I suspect YOU are the one that has issues with black people. I am the one that started the thread on the Savoy, which I think looks like a very cool place that I want to go to. Black owned. I don't care who lives above the Arena. MOST people in Pittsburgh are too fat and lazy to walk down that big hill and then the thought of them walking back up it is a joke. It doesn't matter if they are purple. Most people won't walk it. Only you though about race. You know it and I know it. Take your witch hunt and shove it up yours.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Are you saying that the people who live in the Hill are lazy?
Why did you not quote my whole response? I also said this, "I see people that get in the car to drive across parking lots to get from one store to another." Does that refer to people on the Hill? NO. It is about Pittsburgh people and has nothing to do with race, obviously. When I thought about the driving across the parking lot thing, I was thinking of the fat SUV drivers that I see at Walmart all the time. They can't walk two blocks.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,305,310 times
I still think you could get quite far with a deck-park between the bridges, and smart design to create a sense of continuity from the Downtown end through the development site.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,753,039 times
Fine, I'll use the whole quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
No kidding. I get a kick out of all these people thinking all those lazy people are just going to walk down that hill into the city. Too funny. Looks great on paper, until you actually walk it. I see people that get in the car to drive across parking lots to get from one store to another. Most people wouldn't think of walking that far. Sure there are some of us that do, but not many.

That parking lot is going to be a bust, unless there is some sort of transportation in place to get into the city.
You still said it.

Quote:
Why did you not quote my whole response? I also said this, "I see people that get in the car to drive across parking lots to get from one store to another." Does that refer to people on the Hill? NO. It is about Pittsburgh people and has nothing to do with race, obviously. When I thought about the driving across the parking lot thing, I was thinking of the fat SUV drivers that I see at Walmart all the time. They can't walk two blocks.
Nice to clarify. So basically everone in Pittsburgh is lazy (not just the people in the Hill.) (I used the whole quote here, BTW)

Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM

851 posts, read 336,143 times
Note to h_curtis: I consider myself a yinzer, having been born a long time ago at Allegheny General, and lived in this area for my entire life. (Except a few years in Florida, but they don't count, I think it was a bad dream.) We all do not want the arena destroyed.

The thing about the arena is that it was built during the first Renaissance. It was unique and we were all so proud of it. I remember being at a concert with my husband, and looking up suddenly to see stars. The crowd and the band playing just stopped, in awe.

I'll say it again. It is unique, we were the only city to build one of these remarkable buildings.

So why must it be torn down? Why can't it be re-used? The interior gutted with the roof opened permanently, shops built, restaurants opened? An ice or roller rink? Farmer's markets? I remember someone proposing musical venues once, like jazz clubs. Housing and playgrounds could be built. It could be a tourist attraction in itself, drawing people there ahead of events at Consol.

But no.
What we will end up with will be boring, generic, and uninteresting. 100 years from now, people will see pictures of the old arena, and think "What fools they were. Why??"

Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Nice to clarify. So basically everone in Pittsburgh is lazy (not just the people in the Hill.) (I used the whole quote here, BTW)
Not "everyone". Most! Yes, I did say that. What does that have to do with race?

Oh and I said, "that hill". When someone says that hill, it is geographical. There is a hillside there and it isn't all that small. There is also currently very wide nice sidewalks there, that are not used all that often except by the people who are trying to save a buck on parking.

Sure I am sad that the Pen's owner has no vision. We could have had an icon of a place, but now we just have a same old same old. Nothing special, just some building built by a very large polluter. I know it is over. I knew that years ago. Money people control all this stuff. If they don't want it the fight is over. They make all the decisions. We are just the people that had a place called a "Civic" Arena. CIVIC. Ah, those days are over for something built like that for the people. Civic. Almost a dead word these days.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Note to h_curtis: I consider myself a yinzer, having been born a long time ago at Allegheny General, and lived in this area for my entire life. (Except a few years in Florida, but they don't count, I think it was a bad dream.) We all do not want the arena destroyed.

The thing about the arena is that it was built during the first Renaissance. It was unique and we were all so proud of it. I remember being at a concert with my husband, and looking up suddenly to see stars. The crowd and the band playing just stopped, in awe.

I'll say it again. It is unique, we were the only city to build one of these remarkable buildings.

So why must it be torn down? Why can't it be re-used? The interior gutted with the roof opened permanently, shops built, restaurants opened? An ice or roller rink? Farmer's markets? I remember someone proposing musical venues once, like jazz clubs. Housing and playgrounds could be built. It could be a tourist attraction in itself, drawing people there ahead of events at Consol.

But no.
What we will end up with will be boring, generic, and uninteresting. 100 years from now, people will see pictures of the old arena, and think "What fools they were. Why??"
You are obviously someone with great vision and you are correct. They will no doubt say, "what were they thinking tearing that down?" No doubt about that. Sure was an amazing place. Most will never really know what that was like to be in it when it opened. No vision!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,753,039 times
Quote:
Not "everyone". Most! Yes, I did say that. What does that have to do with race?
You brought up race. Not me.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 PM

8,129 posts, read 6,865,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post

But no.
Number 1, you weren't born at Magee, so yinz ain't a yinzer. They said the same thing about the Syria Mosque, but the cost to keep it open and retrofit everything was too much. I love the Arena, but it's outlived its usefulness. Time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh