Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

I walk by there pretty often and I sure see people very well dressed and nice cars everywhere. The smell coming from that place the other day was really good. Smelled like a fine steak on the grill. It looks pretty expensive from the menu, yet seems quite popular. Interesting that a fair amount of black people seem to gravitate to it. Is it a black owned establishment? I see the chef is black. I would like to go in there someday for a drink and check it out, but I am usually not dressed for that place. Possibly the best dressed restaurant in that region.

Anyone ever eat there? How is it? Is the inside as nice as the outside? Love that front door. Very fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
I went there while I was home in August. I must admit my wanting to go was mostly in part to it being the "It" spot to catch celebrities, and I was hoping to catch some Steelers dining there.

Very Swank, and Upscale....Service was moderately fast, the Food was ok nothing memorable, I think its more popular as an Upscale Lounge with Celebrity sightings more so than a restaurant.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Just had a glance at the menu and I must say it looks very pedestrian. Urbanspoon's reviews aren't exactly resounding with praise either. With so many new restaurants in the city lately, I'll be content to leave the Savoy near the bottom of my "must-try" list. Each to their own taste, as the French say.

Now, on the other hand, if it's the real Savoy Grill you have in mind, I'll be glad to accept your invitation to lunch any time, h_curtis.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,096 times
Not to be a dick, but it's just Savoy, no 'The.'

Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I was hoping to catch some Steelers dining there.
Try Nakama for that....

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I walk by there pretty often and I sure see people very well dressed and nice cars everywhere. The smell coming from that place the other day was really good. Smelled like a fine steak on the grill. It looks pretty expensive from the menu, yet seems quite popular. Interesting that a fair amount of black people seem to gravitate to it. Is it a black owned establishment? I see the chef is black. I would like to go in there someday for a drink and check it out, but I am usually not dressed for that place. Possibly the best dressed restaurant in that region.

Anyone ever eat there? How is it? Is the inside as nice as the outside? Love that front door. Very fashionable.
My wife and I went to the Savoy recently. The food was pretty good. I am a steak person and it is pretty hard to f up a filet. My wife got some type of sea food. She seemed to enjoy it.

I was most impressed with the interior. Chuck Sanders (former Steeler) is the owner and he sponsors alot of black oriented concerts that come through Pittsburgh. The most recent concert was Maze featuring Frankie Beverly and Confunction (AWESOME!). Earlier this winter he caught alot of heat from the community because he kept pushing the opening date out farther and farther. This winter, my wife and I attended the Bebe Winans gospel concert at the Benedum (sponsored by Savoy) and he explained that he wanted everything to be perfect. He waited until the weather broke to open so that people could enjoy the rooftop deck.

The upstairs lounge and deck was o.k.. While there we sat next to Pittsburgh native (Lincoln Lemington) Lamar Rucker from the Tyler Perry movies. Its a nice place to get dressed up and enjoy the crowd. My wife really enjoyed the red carpet entrance. The drinks were pretty pricey and there was a two bottle minimum to sit in the sectional area!!!!!!

Savoy is a very upscale black owned establishment. It the type of place that you or I would take out of town friends and family. I am not a regular but I did enjoy myself. Although it is black owned, the crowd was very diverse which I thought was cool.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:41 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I went there while I was home in August. I must admit my wanting to go was mostly in part to it being the "It" spot to catch celebrities, and I was hoping to catch some Steelers dining there.
Did you have any luck?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

440 posts, read 549,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Savoy is a very upscale black owned establishment. It the type of place that you or I would take out of town friends and family. I am not a regular but I did enjoy myself. Although it is black owned, the crowd was very diverse which I thought was cool.
Savoy is HEAVILY advertised on Wamo as a black owned / operated establishment. Focusing on "urban" (not sure when urban became the same as african amcerican) It is very refreshing to see there was a diverse crowd. I really enjoy the strip and was hoping this could be another option to dine at.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Did you have any luck?
Nope no luck...Vince Sims from Channel 11 was arriving as we were leaving....closest thing to celebrities that night.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Thanks for the replies. It sure looks like a cool place and people dress well, which isn't exactly seen often in Pittsburgh. Whoever designed that front door gets a medal. Sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh