Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

How many times do we have to have this argument? I argued it too back a year or more ago I think it was. Now I am over it.

I believe they should do the monument to itself that we came up with, leaving the roof support and a piece of the roof, allowing for streets to work, even underneath it. But so typical that all we can have is all or nothing solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I believe they should do the monument to itself that we came up with, leaving the roof support and a piece of the roof, allowing for streets to work, even underneath it. But so typical that all we can have is all or nothing solutions.
Like a tunnel? If so, that may cause more traffic, considering Pittsbughers slow down in tunnels.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

Actually it seems like the yinzers are the ones who want to keep it from being torn down. They like everything old and useless. They don't like progress

I can actually see both sides of it. It's not as cut-and-dry as either "side" seems to want it to be. They could do things with the old building other than keeping it an ice arena if they so chose. Need a parking garage? The place already has ramps and large entrances. I bet they could put a hell of a lot of stores and apartments in there too. Again, if they chose. I don't know if it would cost more to do that than to build brand new buildings or not.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I'd agree the people lacking vision are the people who think the best we can do with this site is an empty dome surrounded by surface parking which brings back some fond memories to a few people.

Sammy, there have been many attempts to come up with a viable re-use plan for the Arena. Professional architects tried, they held a design competition, and so on. None of the plans was remotely competitive with developing the site without the Arena. The basic problem is the Arena just takes up way too much land for what you can plausibly do within it, even thinking creatively, and it also interferes with the nearby portions of the site due to its size, shape, and placement.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Like a tunnel? If so, that may cause more traffic, considering Pittsbughers slow down in tunnels.
The designs we were playing with were more like a memorial arch.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,401 times
My 2 (worthless) cents:

The roof was cool, and the design was interesting ... but those things don't pay the bills, baby. The CEC may be boring, but it's a revenue-generating machine. And that's why it was built. Waxing poetic about its aesthetics seems kind of pointless to me ... as does making generalizations about past generations because you hate the highways they built.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
My 2 (worthless) cents:

The roof was cool, and the design was interesting ... but those things don't pay the bills, baby. The CEC may be boring, but it's a revenue-generating machine. And that's why it was built. Waxing poetic about its aesthetics seems kind of pointless to me ... as does making generalizations about past generations because you hate the highways they built.
A sporting venue can be aesthetically pleasing AND a revenue generator at the same time. Ever been to a little place called PNC Park? As a matter of fact, the aesthetics of that place are HUGE factor driving the attendance there over this last decade. The Pirates likely wouldn't have made HALF of the revenue they made with Three Rivers or an equally dull replacement.

CEC has ONE interesting side to it, the glass facade facing the corner of Washington Place and Fifth Ave. Otherwise, it's a silver and tan box with a handful of other windows poking out. Let's hope the Penguins franchise can stay competitive so they can keep filling that box.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Ever been to a little place called PNC Park?
Not so little. In total, I think PNC Park takes up approximately four times as much land as Consol.

I'm not saying Consol couldn't have been prettier, but I think people are discounting too much what Consol does NOT do, which is not taking up more valuable land than it needs to. I'd also note that given the large portion of public funding for Consol, including an ongoing sweetheart lease deal for the Penguins, you always have to ask if prettying up Consol would be a good use of such funds.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Say what you will about the impending decimation of the Civic Arena, but if it can serve to help reconnect the severed ties between Downtown and the Hill District, then I'm all for it. Actually, assuming the Penguins are going to be planning some market-rate apartments on the site (does anybody know if there will be living options or not?) I'd love to live there.
Any longed for reconnection of the Hill with Downtown won't happen. I-579 will be a psychological barrier. I've seen it in Atlanta as I-75 cuts the city in two.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd also note that given the large portion of public funding for Consol, including an ongoing sweetheart lease deal for the Penguins, you always have to ask if prettying up Consol would be a good use of such funds.
There are numerous examples of present day grateful citizens that past generations built architecturally pretty buildings. Might as well do it right otherwise future generations will eventually destroy the eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh