Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 PM

19 posts, read 46,381 times

Advertisements

ooo, I've been looking at a few properties around there and it seems promising. I'd love to live in a historically rich area as far as the buildings and stonework. And if several small business owners got to fixing up the buildings it could come back...?
Hmm...I may fly out just to look at it, as well as several other areas around PGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,036,345 times
I would like to add one thing about New Kensington. Some of you may know of a very famous little pizza shop called P&M. It was a DIVE, but they made the most delicious and unique pizza in the entire greater Pittsburgh region, I'm convinced.

It was closed years and years ago, and it JUST re-opened a few months ago in DOWNTOWN New Kensington. The place looks GREAT. It's been totally renovated, and they have a very reputable clientèle, and from Thur - Sat there is standing room only in the entire place.

THAT is a success story for downtown New Kensington. Do yourself a favor and check out P&M. I believe New Ken will change once CCAC opens. Also, several of the poverty-line apartment buildings will be torn down once the tenets are all moved out. They aren't allowing renewed leases. The city wants it all torn down.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
i moved out of new ken 9 years ago. i grew up on the 14 hundred block of third ave. it is so sad to ride threw there now a days...the house i lived in for 17 years is a mess...its taped up, all the windows are broken out of it...its a shame....its sad to see what that town has become. I know it was the best or the safest town 10 years ago, but it was no where near as bad as it is now...even going "past the tracks" is bad now.
my mom lived on 14 hundred block of third avenue the whole time she was growing up. until she heard gun shots right outside our door one night...thats when she knew it was time to go. that was about 12 years ago. my mom now calls me and asks me all the time did you know so and so, they have been shot or they are in trouble for doing the shooting. ususally i know them. i proabably hung out with them at some point before i moved out of there. i guess when your 18 you dont realize who the trouble makers are. my mom and my grandmother used to tell me stories about how saturdays where a big day in downtown new ken...everyone used to walk around and go shopping and visited with everyone else. i wasnt around for that, it was before my time, but i remember still doing alot of things around town. Like the parade in the summer time, that used to be a big deal , and the ox roast carnival...i have lots of memories of that carnival. me and my friends used to run all over town as kids...from 3rd avenue..to 18th st ball feild, all the way up to roosevelt park. i wouldnt want to do that now a days. i will always consider that my home. i did live the first almost 20 years of my life there. i do have a LOT of good memories of that town. its just a shame how things are now. i guess i really dont have a point to all of this, just thought i'd share with you how i felt about new ken then and now.

go vikings..lol class of 98'
does anyone still go to football games? i have a lot of great memories at those football games too.....

Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,336,577 times
I can't see the field from the road anymore. Did they move it? I had gone to some night games there (long ago) and thought it was the greatest stadium in the area because of the lights and it was so big. I see people using the track from the road. There's new buildings I'm not familiar with.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,265,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I would like to add one thing about New Kensington. Some of you may know of a very famous little pizza shop called P&M. It was a DIVE, but they made the most delicious and unique pizza in the entire greater Pittsburgh region, I'm convinced.

It was closed years and years ago, and it JUST re-opened a few months ago in DOWNTOWN New Kensington. The place looks GREAT. It's been totally renovated, and they have a very reputable clientèle, and from Thur - Sat there is standing room only in the entire place.

THAT is a success story for downtown New Kensington. Do yourself a favor and check out P&M. I believe New Ken will change once CCAC opens. Also, several of the poverty-line apartment buildings will be torn down once the tenets are all moved out. They aren't allowing renewed leases. The city wants it all torn down.
What is the address?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 PM

14 posts, read 51,217 times
Wow that is great news about P&M! I'm going to have to go there. I, too, grew up in New Ken (class of 01) and moved away 7 years ago. I don't go back there too often but from what I heard, it hasn't changed much. As far as opening a bar, right now I'd say that's a waste. If downtown New Ken would get revitialized as everyone in this topic has been talking about, then I'd go for it. Arnold, is which pretty much a part of New Ken, I swear has a dumpy bar on every corner. So you'd have a lot of competition.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,912,662 times
^Yeah, but if you opened up a bar that wasn't a dive dump, than you would be the only decent bar in New Ken and the competition wouldn't be as hard.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
I agree with Angel and Guy. This town will come back to the people. All it will take is for the community to have an enough is enough, and too much is too much attitude. Bring it back, the pride and the beauty that New Ken once had. You see what corruption at all levels can do to a town. It's time for a change, and you have the power. Go to your monthly councle meetings and

Old 12-15-2008, 01:02 AM

370 posts, read 1,012,795 times
Open something up in Oakmont instead. Oakmont is the classiest town anywhere near there

Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
I know that the mob activity is slim to none anymore in new ken. They may own a house or two to store boxes of soap. and shaving razors in, but thats about it. There is nothing left to organize in new ken to have organized crime. it has become such a scummy, run down, herion junky, crack head nothing town thats its not worth staying in. I drove through recently, absolutely disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh