Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 8,389 times

Advertisements

I'm female, late 40s, no kids, will be divorced next spring and free to locate where I choose, provided the cost of living is reasonable. Currently living in a medium sized southeastern city, but I'm a Pittsburgh-area native who spent my entire childhood and 14 years of my adulthood living and working in and around the city. I left due to my husband's job transfer, and then went south due to his subsequent layoff/early retirement. Several years in the south have convinced me that I am, and always will be, a northerner and an urbanite, and I'm looking at heading north again next year for a fresh start. Pittsburgh is among the cities I'm considering, after being away for 9 years. Still have a bit of family and plenty of friends and acquaintances there, and I work as a paralegal, so I anticipate being able to find a job relatively easily. So...those of you who have lived in the Burgh, left it, and returned, are you happy with that choice? What is this crazy pull that Pittsburgh has upon those of us who leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,894,699 times
Spend a week to ten days vacation/visiting Pittsburgh in late January/early February. The biggest challenge will be adjusting to the colder weather. I bounce back and forth between the Burgh and Atlanta, and I don't want anything to do with Pittsburgh from late November to early March. And this was after growing up in southwestern PA and dealing with the winters for the first 30 yrs of my life.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,146,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vascodagrammar View Post
What is this crazy pull that Pittsburgh has upon those of us who leave?
I wish I knew -- and it really ticks me off Hubs won't consider it. I love looking at real estate back there.

My draw is family. I really want to be there for them....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 PM

DaBurgh, I've been back in February twice in the last three years to attend Super Bowl parties when the Steelers have played, and I know what you mean. The cold isn't that distant of a memory for me, and though you might not think so, 38 degrees and 100% humidity on the southeastern coast feels bone-chilling in its own way (especially because all the houses have heat pumps which are very ineffective once temps drop below 40). I don't miss northern winters at all, but I miss an urban setting with a cityscape and eclectic city neighborhoods. I miss northern culture and personalities and attitudes and life in general. My socially liberal, tree-hugging, vegetarian, secular humanist self doesn't fit in the south. If I have to live in the cold again in order to live a more personally authentic life, then so be it (not to mention getting to see the Steelers every Sunday and to wear my Roethlisberger jersey to work on Fridays, LOL). I'm currently looking at Philly and Columbus as well, and will probably consider others over the next six months. I've lived in a lot of places and have traveled the world, but there's something about Pittsburgh that you just don't get in other cities. I used to roll my eyes when I'd hear stories about Pittsburghers who left for a job and then spent the next 15 years trying to come back. But now that I'm on the verge of a fresh start at age almost-50, I kinda get it.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,894,699 times
Completely understand on all accounts.

I could only live in a big city like Atlanta in the South, because I too am socially liberal. AND I need an urban, in-town environment. I would die alive in the burbs and urban sprawl in Atlanta.

It sounds like you know exactly what you are looking for: reasonable cost of living, cityscape, eclectic neighborhoods, fellow Steelers fans, etc. And that is Pittsburgh. Welcome home!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,666,238 times
Salmon genes. The pull kicks in with some people earlier than with others.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 18,861 times
vascodagrammar: I am with you!! I haven't made my way back yet, but like you, I have been in the South East for nearly a decade and I cannot wait to get back Home. I wish you the best of luck (and I can be considered prejudiced, but if asked... I vote for Pittsburgh! Winter and all!)

Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,825,203 times
You will move back here. It is better than ever and you have friends and family here. Why wouldn't you move back? TONS of people move away and come back. Myself included. I needed to move around a bit for perspective, but I think I am here to stay. Come on back to the burgh. Your support team is here and it probably will be fun!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks, everyone, the insight (and encouragement!) is much appreciated. Plenty of time before I have to make any decisions. Thinking I might come spend the week between Christmas and New Year's in Pittsburgh and ask a realtor friend of mine to show me some city neighborhood properties in my price range. Take a look at what I can afford to buy, and where.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,018,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Salmon genes. The pull kicks in with some people earlier than with others.
That's a good way to say things.

When I grew up, my Dad moved around every couple years for many years...but suddenly, coincidentally right after I graduated High School, he went right back to his roots, and has never left that area, and probably never will.

For me, I have a loose conglamaration of a ton of towns that I'd probably never go back to...but that overall 'feel' of those towns attracts me at times. A place where people think more practical, modest, etc. Another set of values well beyond the 'other' America out there of constant unchecked consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh