Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I personally don't think so, but that's my opinion. We throw call each other Yinzers in the office openly all the time and people actually take pride in it. I've lived here all my life and not once have I seen someone insulted for being a Yinzer. That's the local identity and people embrace it. ::shrug::
We would get our mouths washed out with soap for saying "yunz" (as it was pronounced in Beaver County).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,682,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We would get our mouths washed out with soap for saying "yunz" (as it was pronounced in Beaver County).
That comment reminded me of this:

07: "Greg and Donny Have An Accent" - YouTube

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,595,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You still don't get it. Both terms are insulting (rube and yinzer).
There is a store in the Strip called "Yinzers." I can see some people being offended by the word because it is meant to be derogatory, but why would you call a store that if it is offensive by a large ammount of people?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
There is a store in the Strip called "Yinzers." I can see some people being offended by the word because it is meant to be derogatory, but why would you call a store that if it is offensive by a large ammount of people?
I'm sure they get enough business from people who think it's funny, also from people who want to make fun of yinzers.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM

116 posts, read 210,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
SteelCityRising is a manager at "Yinzers"

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,859,479 times
"Rube" and "Yinzer" seem like different sorts of words to me. At least where I grew up (Michigan), people from rural areas were not generally called rubes. "Rube" was rather a term for unsophisticated and gullible people, and in fact you could be a rube without coming from a rural part of the state.

In contrast, obviously there are some people here who view "Yinzer" as necessarily having negative connotations, but I don't think everyone uses the term like that. To me "Yinzer" is more like the term "Yankee"--some people view that as a negative term, other people just use it in a more or less neutral way.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 PM

62 posts, read 108,934 times
After reading this thread I can safely say that I would much rather be part of the "yinzer" crowd than whatever group most of you would fit in. Honestly, could you people be more pretentious? And I just have to laugh at anyone calling themselves progressive in one sentence, and then generalizing and stereotyping in the next.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,682,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghson86 View Post
And I just have to laugh at anyone calling themselves progressive in one sentence, and then generalizing and stereotyping in the next.
We are only human.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,595,723 times
Quote:
After reading this thread I can safely say that I would much rather be part of the "yinzer" crowd than whatever group most of you would fit in.
If you would much rather be a "yinzer" what do you consider a yinzer?

Quote:
Honestly, could you people be more pretentious? And I just have to laugh at anyone calling themselves progressive in one sentence, and then generalizing and stereotyping in the next.
My defenition of a yinzer is someone from Pittsburgh who is stuck in the past, doesn't like change and is not progressive. Are you saying yinzers are more progessive?

Honestly though, no matter what people say or if they deny it, we all stereotype others no matter what. Yinzers do it too.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,837,899 times
I have to think that the phrase 'progressive' and the phrase 'yinzer' when used to define someone are about equal in regards to their negative & positive connotations, just in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh