Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Who might the "these people" and the "they" be?

More coded language you're going to claim was innocently used.
Seems you are all about the witch hunt. How about growing up a bit. Just look at crime statistics in the Hill District. Sure, I can paint a rosy picture of the place. Make it sound like it is as nice as Saxonburg, PA. I can say, it is up and coming and totally safe there. No crime at all in CS. Who cares if it is next to an area that has lots of crime? It is great! No worries. Just move there and leave you bicycle outside unlocked and leave the keys in the car. No need to lock your doors on anything. All is wonderful. Go f yourself. I want to tell people what it would be like living in an area the neighbors an area that is in the news almost everyday. The stories in the news aren't petty theft. That doesn't make the news. The shootings and stabbings make the news and probably not all the time.

So, sorry. Next time I will tell all how perfect CS would be. The Hill is almost the same as Squirrel Hill. Maybe nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Seems you are all about the witch hunt. How about growing up a bit... Go f yourself.
Aren't you the one who usually screams to the mods about personal attacks?

I must have hit a little close to home, huh? My sense is that you know your views are influenced by race.

With regard to CS, I've not seen it reported that roving bands of strung out drug addicts are regularly mugging people. Sounds like a Romero film down there. I'm really surprised about this since I just read UptownKid, who thinks everywhere is dangerous (not really, but it seems that way sometimes) call CS "safe". Could you show me some of those CS crime statistics that you looked up to form your opinion so I can decide who's right?

Last edited by Lobick; 10-04-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Who might the "these people" and the "they" be?
I think its pretty obvious that if the subject at hand is the Hill District and crime, then the 'they' in question in that case would be the drugged out african american criminals that one would find in that area of the city which is predominently black as well as having a higher then normal criminal activity.
Likewise if someone was posting about another area that was known to be predominently white and a place known for its criminal activity then 'they' would be referring to drugged out white hoodlums that one would find and wish to stay away from in the area.
Insert Latino areas in other areas of the country as well.

"Bad" areas are usually segregated by race in addition to having a higher then normal amount of people that have no self regard for others and engage in criminal activity against others, so to clarify for future readers that don't know, when saying 'they', a poster is usually referring to those specific seedy characters that live in such areas, that are different from anyone posting on this forum.

Regarding Crawford Square specifically, I think it would be fine as long as one takes the precautions one needs to knowing they live very close to 'them'

Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I think its pretty obvious that if the subject at hand is the Hill District and crime, then the 'they' in question in that case would be the drugged out african american criminals that one would find in that area of the city which is predominently black as well as having a higher then normal criminal activity.
Likewise if someone was posting about another area that was known to be predominently white and a place known for its criminal activity then 'they' would be referring to drugged out white hoodlums that one would find and wish to stay away from in the area.

"Bad" areas are usually segregated by race in addition to having a higher then normal amount of people that have no self regard for others and engage in criminal activity against others, so to clarify for future readers that don't know, when saying 'they', a poster is usually referring to those specific seedy characters that live in such areas, that are different from anyone posting on this forum.
This makes complete sense in the abstract and for a well-intentioned poster who hasn't previously and continuously displayed a pattern of racially driven comments. The benefit of the doubt cannot be granted in perpetuity.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:06 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Indeed, but there is a double standard here. For example, there are no cries of racism when someone like myself points out the fact that their neighborhood has gone down the tubes thanks to trashy, low-life whites (which is the truth). But when someone says an area of the city is garbage because of the actions of trashy, low-life blacks (which in this case is the truth) everyone wants to give out the scarlet letter of racism. Call it like it is.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 AM

747 posts, read 1,225,937 times
90% of all crime that occurrs in the Hill District happens in close proximity to the housing projects. The crime is getting more and more concentrated as the city moves to demolish all of the remaining units.

Most of the Hill is o.k. by my standards. I was raised in the city and do not walk around scared. I do not feel that any place is safe. Things can happen anywhere.

Crawford square was developed in the early 90's and has a wide variety of housing options. Most of the people who live in Crawford square are older black empty nesters who moved back to the hill to be closer to parents and family who refuse to leave the Hill. The housing ranges from small apartments to 3000 sq ft single family homes. There is a diverse population of homeowners. You have a few asian, white and black professionals living among older retired black residents. It a colorful section of the city that I envy. The Crawford Square association handles landscaping and pool / clubhouse maintenance.

Once I wife and I decide to trade up, I would love to buy in or around Crawford Square. There are a few housing developments that piggy backed on the success of crawford square. This expanded the footprint of an up and comming urban district.

The Hill has some very nice and welcoming residents and I would not mind being apart of this. I was married in the Hill District (Monumental Baptist) and both of my wifes parents were born and raised in the Hill.

Once the conncetion is made to downtown with the area redevelopment. The area will increase in popularity.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Random comment, but poking around it looks like homes in Crawford Square have seen a decent amount of appreciation since they were first sold (decent for Pittsburgh, at least). Personally, I'd expect that to continue, and it might well accelerate as Uptown and the Arena site are redeveloped.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Based upon one review by someone who was mugged? There have been a few muggings here in Polish Hill, too, since I moved here last year, but I still feel VERY safe here. Like it or not people turn to desperate measures when we're within the throes of a never-ending recession.
Wrong. Most of the muggings are substance abuse related. You get addicted to drugs you do stupid things, very stupid things.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Interestingly there has been very little sign of a crime wave associated with this recession--in fact, generally crime rates have gone down. That may be in part because this is a deflationary recession (the Great Depression saw falling crime rates as well, and it was also a deflationary recession), which means there is less economic pressure on the already-marginal than you would expect in an inflationary recession, and also fewer opportunities to commit crime (people aren't out spending as much money). It may also be because certain forms of drug use (alcohol, coke, and meth specifically) are declining (others, like marijuana use, are up), and we may also be starting to see the long-term effects of things like trying to limit childhood exposure to lead and other developmental toxins.

Edit: Here is a quick article on the shift in drug use patterns. The drop in coke and meth use from the mid-2000s is really quite significant:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

Quote:
The survey, conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), also showed methamphetamine user rates have plummeted by nearly half, from 731,000 users in 2006 to 353,000 in 2010. Cocaine use also dropped from 2.4 million users in 2006 to 1.5 million in 2010.
Edit #2: Some charts from the survey itself:

http://oas.samhsa.gov/NSDUH/2k10NSDUH/2k10Results.htm

Alcohol use among younger people:

Marijuana up, coke down:

Tranquilizers up, stimulants (e.g. meth) down:

Last edited by BrianTH; 10-04-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
I must have hit a little close to home, huh? My sense is that you know your views are influenced by race.
Seems you are the one that screamed race. Must have been on your mind, since you brought it up. I didn't bring it up. I think you got the sequence wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh