U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To be honest, it rarely snows in Pittsburgh and when it does, it usually melts within a week. Last couple of years have been good snow years though and it was great, but those kind of years usually come in pairs, so I expect this winter to be very mild. Hoping for some great skiing though.
not this winter, Pittsburgh is forecast to get slammed on the winter forecast just put out, accuweather has been right on for the last few yrs and especially last year. see here : AccuWeather.com Winter 2011-2012 Forecast: Another Brutal One (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/55890/accuweathercom-winter-20112012.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM

873 posts, read 397,796 times
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but last year I believe it snowed in early December, and there was snow on the ground through January and into Feb?
It wasn't huge amounts..a few inches here and there, plus the scattered ice storms, but it seemed to last for months.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,390,945 times
There's also a difference in temperament. People in the South tend to be friendlier to strangers but Pittsburghers are much more reticent and reserved around strangers. They like to get to know you first before opening up. And unfortunately, many already have their circle of friends they may have had since childhood so it might take a while to "break the ice".

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,140,918 times
[quote=h_curtis;21200772]To be honest, it rarely snows in Pittsburgh and when it does, it usually melts within a week.[quote]

Seriously? I've lived here 20 years and from December - Mid March, it snows almost every other day. Extreme storms are rarer, but because of the proximety to the lake we get alot of light snowfalls and quite frequently. But yeah, its not like it lasts all winter I do agree with that part.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 PM

3,283 posts, read 1,478,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartinld View Post
I posted another thread looking for neighborhood suggestions, but I figured I would go ahead and ask this question as well:

I have never in my life lived somewhere that it snows I need tips for surviving the winter...I mean, things that you might think are self explanitory...is there any type of heat we should look for vs. another? Things to look for in a car? Do I really have to shovel my driveway everyday?

Seriously, help!
There are some good tips in this tread. However, one I didn't see was a warning about snow snakes. They're not poisonous, but can do a number on your ankles if you don't wear the proper boots when shoveling.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 10-12-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM

15 posts, read 12,272 times
As a guy about to move to Pittsburgh from the Lake Superior snow belt this is pretty amusing. But, having lived in Carolinas as well, it really is about where you come from. All the best in your move from the south. Hope all goes well for you in your new home.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM

268 posts, read 188,946 times
[quote=speagles84;21261834][quote=h_curtis;21200772]To be honest, it rarely snows in Pittsburgh and when it does, it usually melts within a week.
Quote:

Seriously? I've lived here 20 years and from December - Mid March, it snows almost every other day. Extreme storms are rarer, but because of the proximety to the lake we get alot of light snowfalls and quite frequently. But yeah, its not like it lasts all winter I do agree with that part.
I agree with the light snowfalls more frequent than the massive snowstorms. We also don't get nor'easters. But, Pittsburgh springs tend to start earlier than areas north and even some immediate suburbs in the Laurel Highlands. Last spring, we got dodged with endless rain. That's typically not the norm. Yes it rains in the spring, but not 25 out of 30 days in April.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,583,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
To be honest, it rarely snows in Pittsburgh and when it does, it usually melts within a week. Last couple of years have been good snow years though and it was great, but those kind of years usually come in pairs, so I expect this winter to be very mild. Hoping for some great skiing though.
I wouldn't call an average of 42 inches a year rarely snowing. While this isn't Buffalo or Erie, Pittsburgh does get a fair amount of snow compared to a lot of large American cities/metro areas. Even in winters that are more mild we still do get some periods of cold and snow that can last an extended period.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 PM

9,753 posts, read 8,792,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
I agree with the light snowfalls more frequent than the massive snowstorms. We also don't get nor'easters.
False.

March 1993, January 1996, February 2003 and February 2010 all featured nor-easters that impacted Pittsburgh significantly.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,591,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
My biggest tip for a southerner moving to Pittsburgh would be to refrain from saying "Y'all." People will think you are stupid. The proper term is "Yinz." Pittsburgh is one of the most educated cities in the USA and you will be expected to use proper Pittsburghese as a result.
Pittsburgh English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LMAO! That's cruel! Most Pittsburghers will think she sounds stupid if she says either one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh