U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,697,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
This is why people are continuing to meet and discuss these topics.

Besides, finding solutions to great societal issues isn't a particularly simple task.
Agreed. So what I would like to see this group doing is holding serious debates, discussing specific ideas, etc. They could call these discussions Occupy Brain Space, and at the end of each one give the media a list of what ideas were specifically discussed and what conclusions were reached (even if they are small ones). Now that would be useful. Simply occupying a park and doing nothing more than dancing around in costumes and shouting that they are "mad at corporations" doesn't accomplish much of anything. IMO.

I actually like the protests, BTW. I just wish they were doing more--holding seminars, debates, something more solution oriented. Peaceful protests can be a powerful tool--if you can combine them with concrete goals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
gg gg started this thread

11,676 posts, read 8,034,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So basically it's the left-wing's version of the Tea Party?
That is what a strong so-called "right wing" type would want you to think. I am sure there are plenty of Republicans and Democrats in the movement. People love to label things and dismiss them because then they don't have to think.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:06 PM

472 posts, read 298,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I'm angry about the state of the country, but I bet it's not the same reasons you're angry and it's not for the same reasons the "occupy" groups are angry about. I don't feel corporations should be running things in our country, nor to I feel labor unions should be running things. I don't feel the majority of people are entitled to anything except what they work for. No one cares about my opinions, but I believe everything I read on the internet!!

Whatever happened to electing someone into office who would do what they said they would? It's becoming harder and harder to find a politician that actually tries to carry out their promises, let alone actually succeeding in carrying out those promises. This goes for Dems and Repubs alike.

It's becoming harder and harder to find a politician that isn't a puppet paid for by the corporations to ensure their agendas are attended to. CITIZENS UNITED v. US. – A 2010 Supreme Court Decision which ruled that money is speech. Corporations, as legal persons, are now allowed to contribute unlimited amounts of money to campaigns in the exercise of free “speech.” UNLIMITED AMOUNTS.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Corporations are to thank for bringing us out of the stone age and giving us the modern comforts that we all rely on. Don't complain about something that has given you so much.
WE pay into government to protect the people. Giving bonuses to companies subsidizing their labor overseas, so the top CEO's can make multi million dollar salaries isn't a very level playing field for "the people". When the term, "the people" is used, it should be the majority, not the top 1% that have lobbies in Washington to lean everything in their favor. I realize if people are getting enough scraps, all is great. There aren't enough scraps right now, but the 1% is not only doing okay, they are becoming much richer. Last I checked, the bailouts were from tax dollars from the MAJORITY. My dollars and yours. Should these idiots get away with buying a new private jet on my dime? I hardly think so. If you are okay with it, that is fine. I am not.

It has nothing to do with success of anyone. All bets are off when they use my tax money to live extravagant lifestyles.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM

4,484 posts, read 3,241,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
It's becoming harder and harder to find a politician that isn't a puppet paid for by the corporations to ensure their agendas are attended to.
They could always do this:

Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
The following are the demands as presented by the New York City General Assembly, the governing body of the OccupyWallStreet occupation at Liberty Square in New York. It will give you an idea as to what the movement is about, but these demands have not been adopted by OccupyPittsburgh, nor do we expect to adopt them as our own in full. We are currently preparing our own demands, statement of purpose, and other organizational documents which will reflect the autonomous nature of OccupyPittsburgh, and the particular problems which face our region.
As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.
As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.
They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.
They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.
They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.
They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*
To the people of the world,
We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.
To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.
Join us and make your voices heard!
*These grievances are not all-inclusive.
People don't want to know about that. It is too much reality. As long as we get some scraps, all is well.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Only 9% of the current wealth of millionaires was inherited. The vast majority of those at the top worked very, very hard to get there.

The average wall street banker for example, works 90-100 hours/week. It isn't disproportionate, it is simply hard work. Most wall-street jobs give you a lunch AND dinner break, because it is expected that you are working long past dinner time.
Didn't we just hand them over so much money it can't be counted? I could care less how many hours the crooks work. We should have sold them out and let them fall. They didn't deserve a dime from all the hard working tax payers!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
WE pay into government to protect the people. Giving bonuses to companies subsidizing their labor overseas, so the top CEO's can make multi million dollar salaries isn't a very level playing field for "the people". When the term, "the people" is used, it should be the majority, not the top 1% that have lobbies in Washington to lean everything in their favor. I realize if people are getting enough scraps, all is great. There aren't enough scraps right now, but the 1% is not only doing okay, they are becoming much richer. Last I checked, the bailouts were from tax dollars from the MAJORITY. My dollars and yours. Should these idiots get away with buying a new private jet on my dime? I hardly think so. If you are okay with it, that is fine. I am not.

It has nothing to do with success of anyone. All bets are off when they use my tax money to live extravagant lifestyles.
LIKE:

HNSQ - You love these corporations so much take us on a ride on your private jet!

There is no accountabilty, we are accountable for each penny we spend and paying outrageous interest rates when these banks are being saved over and over and selling our debt to eachother. Their idea of cutting spending is laying off low level employees and sending their jobs to other countries where they pay half as much on salaries. Noone is being persecuted for opperating iilegally and unethically.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
They could always do this:

YES! They should most definately.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
And our wealth distribution is no different than it has been for 100 years. I still don't see what everyone is complaining about.
Oh my, you better read up on wealth distribution. You have no clue. Also, you argument about people having refrigerators or a/c has much more to do with technology advancement and of course the big companies finding the cheapest labor pool in the work and the invention of the credit card so people can now buy something and hope to pay for it later. That didn't work out too well did it?

Look at any wealth distribution chart and you will see the will be no middle class left soon enough. All I can say, is you better invest to ride on the wealthy folk's coat tails. I know I am all in! I wouldn't want to be that guy with a few CDs at some sorry bank and paying all kind of fees. You better have at least $500K saved if you want to be on the right side of all this. If you don't, you better live very cheap and well within your means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh