U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM

70,068 posts, read 60,674,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They are standard terms in spoken Pittsburghese. They are filling common linguistic needs: as I noted "n'at" serves the same purpose as "etc.", and "yinz" is the second-person plural pronoun otherwise missing in English (also supplied by terms like "y'all", "youse", "you guys", and so forth in other English dialects).
I always thought "n'at" was a contraction for "and that".
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM
gg gg started this thread

11,673 posts, read 8,017,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I always thought "n'at" was a contraction for "and that".
That is exactly what that means. You are correct.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM

13,021 posts, read 19,943,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I read that Boston had 10,000 while NYC only had 5,000. If we had one of the largest turnouts something is wrong.
---
3500 according to blackbeauty's post. Still impressive if all those numbers are accurate.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM

13,021 posts, read 19,943,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post

Last point: Why don't they protest the ones in power? You know, the powerful men and women that legislate, enforce, and interpret laws and policy. This small little town called WASHINGTON, DC. They should be occupying all the 50 state capitals and the federal one. So instead of Occupy Pittsburgh LOL, they should hold events such as OCCUPY HARRISBURG, OCCUPY ALBANY, OCCUPY COLUMBUS, OCCUPY WASHINGTON DC. They might actually accomplish something
As far as I know, there have been massive ones in DC, almost immediately after NYC.

The state capitals were after that, as in michigan, I heard people talking about occupy Lansing well before any other MI city.

Pittsburghs probably just getting one as it's a large population center and apparently the locals want it there.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM

76 posts, read 87,073 times
I hope there will be lots more opportunities to march and attend rallies.

I would strongly encourage anyone who believes that our political system is basically a commodity, purchased and used by the 1% to enrich themselves, to go out for the next event. It was a lot of fun to be surrounded by people motivated by this call for change; I had a ridiculous grin on my face for most of the march.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,234,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
3500 according to blackbeauty's post. Still impressive if all those numbers are accurate.
WPXI says 500:

Hundreds March In 'Occupy Pittsburgh' Protest - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Which makes me say what I've always said: WPXI is god damn retarded.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM

I would estimate more like 1500-2000ish in reality. 500 is way light.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,553,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The protest is against Wall Street and Bankers so BNY Mellon says stay in our park as long as you like. What's with that? Same in NYC - accomodating.
It's called good public relations.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 AM

76 posts, read 87,073 times
The 500 person est. is from the police and was probably made at the rally start point at St. Benedict. I think a lot of people joined at various points along the way. I watched some Youtube videos this morning and the march looked more impressive from the outside, kind of amazing really.

The snare drummer was awesome, I can't help but to think what a march would be like with 10+ drummers. It gives you cold chills...Anyone who knows some lefty drummers should encourage them to volunteer for the next march or rally.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's called good public relations.
Maybe Mellon is reading my posts? Here is what I wrote before Mellon said what they said:

I am sure Mellon is thrilled to have that ball in their court. I would probably let them stay and give them coffee and donuts. Why not play it up as the good guy.

Sure. The PR would be great. I would launch an advertising campaign out of the location. Saying, we at Mellon understand and we are trying to help. We employ X number of Americans and are doing our best in these tough times. Blah, Blah, Blah. Here is some coffee and donuts as well as blankets so you folks are warm and well fed. We feel for you and hope all this works out for the best. It is either that or be the big bad bank that will forcefully throw them off the property. Take your pick. Will be interesting how Mellon handles it. I know I would go for the kind way and use it as a great opportunity. Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh