U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Corporations are to thank for bringing us out of the stone age and giving us the modern comforts that we all rely on. Don't complain about something that has given you so much.
That's the same attitude lords of the manor used to encourage their serfs to have.

Personally, I think the corporation is indeed a useful legal form. But that doesn't mean I think corporations should control all aspects of my life, and I should be grateful to them for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
See my comments in blue above.
I think looking for detailed policy proposals is probably a mistake when it comes to movements like this in a representative democracy, unless they are actually planning to overthrow the government. As with the Tea Party, the path to practical impact usually has to come through affecting the electoral process, and the policy process in more general terms.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,365,567 times
I don't buy this claim about a media conspiracy against them. The media takes so many forms these days--if you have something to say there are 1000 places you can say it.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,149,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Your 'standard of living' has more than doubled in the last 50 years thanks to corporations. A playstation is considered an 'essential device' for even lower class households today. The size of the average home has more than doubled in the last 50 years. EVERYONE in America has it good thanks to corporations.
I

Believe (http://www.workinglife.org/wiki/Wages+and+Benefits:+Real+Wages+%281964-2004%29 - broken link)

You

Are

Incorrect.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM

482 posts, read 506,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
There is a reason why college grads are working menial jobs with no vacation or health care to speak of with mountains of student debt. The system is rigged and the system is broken and those running the scheme are the ones that are finally being outed.

I finished school in 2008 with a mountain of student debt, and started in a menial job. 3 years later my menial job has turned into an excellent job with excellent pay and benefits. How did that happen? Oh, that's right... I actually applied myself and worked hard to advance.

The system isn't rigged like everyone thinks it is; the problem occurs with people now-a-days thinking they should have everything handed to them on a silver platter instead of working for what they want.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I don't buy this claim about a media conspiracy against them. The media takes so many forms these days--if you have something to say there are 1000 places you can say it.
Sure, but a lot of people still get their information from a relatively small number of media outlets, and so the ideas those particular outlets promote can have a lot of influence.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM

472 posts, read 290,940 times
Quote:

It's not actually a conspiracy... if you read any news article the coverage is vague and only describes the occupiers "lack of focus" when clearly there is focus. Demands have been laid out and posted all over the internet. Unions are also protesting ,those of which have very clear demands.

The lack of coverage is helping the occupiers to prove their point. The banks have gotten to big to fail and have to much political and media sway. The Daily Show wont even mention it's existence because Jon Stewarts older brother is the Chief operating officer of the NYSE.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,149,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I finished school in 2008 with a mountain of student debt, and started in a menial job. 3 years later my menial job has turned into an excellent job with excellent pay and benefits. How did that happen? Oh, that's right... I actually applied myself and worked hard to advance.

The system isn't rigged like everyone thinks it is; the problem occurs with people now-a-days thinking they should have everything handed to them on a silver platter instead of working for what they want.
Good for you man, that's excellent.

Just be aware that it can all go away at a whim. Take it from someone who had a good job, got extremely sick, got fired due to the sickness, was faced with mounting debt or possibly death, and realized there is zero safety net. It happens to even the most secure people, the cards are stacked against everyone. I busted my ass to dig myself out of that hole but I realize that Round 2 could be around the corner at any moment. Good ol' American uncertainty.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,365,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So the Tea Party movement is actually a good example of how you can start with a fairly generalized movement that only eventually has a more concrete agenda, and the same path has been followed by many other movements which have eventually achieved specific results.
Agreed. One difference may be the Tea Party had the luxury of having time to develop before they got a lot of media attention. This group doesn't have that luxury--they're having their moment of fame and they need to be ready for it. If they don't have any concrete goals beyond "start a dialogue" they will not be taken seriously. I'm no fan of the Tea Party, but at least I could grasp what they wanted and how they thought this country could attain it.

One of the leaders of the Occupy Movement was on This Week yesterday. He was asked an open question about what his group wanted and given ample time to answer. He blathered just like a politician--lots of empty rallying cries about being angry at corporations but nothing concrete about what the goal is (except he did say they wanted to "start a dialogue"). They say they want to be heard. Well, they got a great opportunity right there and the guy who represented them squandered it. They asked him a couple of times, but all I got from it was they're angry at corporations. I want to give this movement a chance but if that's all they've got to say that's just not enough of a goal, IMO.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-10-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

It would obviously be false to claim upward mobility is completely impossible these days. On the other hand, there is also a lot of evidence that upward mobility has gotten harder and harder in recent decades. That seems to me like cause for concern even stated in its milder form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh